By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Finally got around to watching Ghost Protocol. Ugh, talk about overrated.

First off, this film is decent. It's still not as fun or engaging as the original M:I movie but it's still decent. About on par with JJ Abram's third movie. The Dubai scenes are great but the Mumbai scenes drag down the movie.

Now that I have the positives out of the way, this movie is terribly overrated.

The female lead agent. Maybe I was spoiled by Whedon's terrific portrayal of the Black Widow character, making her fun, sexy, and realistic all at the same time, but this character was fucking terrible. It had all the elements of bad Hollywood cliches and is everything I hate about how directors and writers portray women. She was too fucking emotional. She's a super-spy; if she couldn't tone it down to accomplish the mission, she would have been rung out of the MIF long ago. She's also really bad at her job. Did she actually do anything positive during the entire film? Most of the time, she was busy fucking something up and Cruise's character would have to swoop in and fix things. Then Bird just had to show her changing clothes during the car chase scene. Really? I expected better from him.

The final fight scene. Ethan Hunt is the super-spy to end all super-spys. He's fighting an aging scientist guy who is carrying a nuclear suitcase. You know what would happen there? Hunt would rip the dude's throat out in 1.2 seconds. Fight over. When a guy is carrying a nuclear suitcase and you're on a timer, all bets are off. You end the fight immediately, especially if the dude is old and not trained to kill people with a paperclip like Hunt. Instead, Bird drags the fight out for what seemed to be 20 minutes. I actually got bored during this scene.

Simon Pegg was decent. I enjoyed watching him play Simon Pegg for the umpteenth time but what bothered me is that he was the guy who shot the baddy fighting Renner over the power switch. Really? Pegg's character, a nerdy tech guy, had to get his redeeming moment but the supposed bad-ass female agent was allowed to continue blundering along, fucking shit up left and right? Why didn't she get to take that shot?

I was lead to believe that this movie was different than most action schlock. It was merely more of the same. That doesn't mean it was a bad film because its action was pretty great at times but the movie left me feeling very flat. A huge disappointment.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Oh, the action was great. I'm not denying that. The Dubai scenes were fantastic.

The problem is that the Dubai scene was in the middle of the movie. After that, the movie started a downward spiral.

Cruise's character was good but it lacked the "team" feel of the first movie because everyone around Hunt was kind of a bumbling ass (until the Renner character decided to start acting like a real agent). Mission: Impossible is supposed to be a team-oriented series. While I understand that Cruise is the headliner and will get the most "hero time", that doesn't excuse how the agents around him were kind of bad at their jobs.

The movie was missing a Ving Rhames type character that made the first movie so great.

spurgeonryan said:

Again, like Avatar you are being a bit harsh, even though you said you enjoyed it.
What did you think of the 3rd M.I?

I'd put the third film on par with the fourth. It was a fun spy romp. My biggest problem with the third movie was that the trailers and marketing completely gave away the bad guy before I even watched the film. Then, when I watched it, the bad guy was known through most of the film. That's not Mission: Impossible. Part of the movie is supposed to be spent guessing what is going on and the third film didn't deliver that at all.

With that said, Phillip Seymour Hoffman was a great villain and overall, the movie was fun to watch.

I thought it was pretty good. I don't over analyze my movies or break them down like that. It makes me too anal and I forget how to enjoy things for what they are.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

pezus said:
I enjoyed it much more than MI3 at least. Can't say about the others since I haven't even watched them.

You should check out the first movie. It's becoming a little dated now but overall, I still think it's the best of the bunch.

Avoid the second film at all costs. It will make you hate John Woo forever (if you don't already).

Around the Network

In my opinion it was a good movie very good maybe the best in the series,it had a different approach that i liked i dont know.

Yeah it is overrated but fun.

Which was the one with the mask where the villain looked like him or something?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Pretty much every hyped up blockbuster is over rated these days because critics aren't as harsh as they used to be, and peoples standards in general have dropped.

MI4 was a fun movie, the main locations had great infiltration sequences, especially the Kremlin and Dubai tower. And some set pieces were more exotic than ever (mumbai party and sandstorm). But I thought the action, story and the overall level of threat in the movie was very forgettable.

As you mentioned above, a more ripped the ever Tom Cruise vs an old guy and his briefcase was just hopeless, especially when you have guys like Sly at 65 still kicking ass. Hardly any peril (tense mements), no good shootouts.

Good movie, but noway does it deserve 93% on RT. MII and III are better.

foodfather said:

Good God, no. The second movie is completely unwatchable. Just terrible. John Woo had no business directing a Mission: Impossible movie.

rocketpig said:
foodfather said:

Good God, no. The second movie is completely unwatchable. Just terrible. John Woo had no business directing a Mission: Impossible movie.

I loved the second one and I thought it was very watchable. I thought ghost protocol was okay,but nothing mind blowing. I fell asleep through some of the last part of the movie. I only watched the last part of the final fight. So overall the series is decent,but nothing amazing.