By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Sugar can make you dumb, US scientists warn

Will you give up high fructose?

I won't give up the coke. 5 22.73%

I'm not a rat, therefore this is false. 9 40.91%

Sugar is sugar. 8 36.36%

Total:22

I am not a fan of soda/high sugar diets, but was this experiment set up to test that?

"Researchers at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) fed two groups of rats a solution containing high-fructose corn syrup -- a common ingredient in processed foods -- as drinking water for six weeks.

One group of rats was supplemented with brain-boosting omega-3 fatty acids in the form of flaxseed oil and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), while the other group was not."

seems like it was set to see the effectiveness of DHA as that's the variable and both groups were fed sugar. or am i reading this wrong? its late

Around the Network

It would have been interesting if they compared with real sugar, vs High Fructose Corn Syrup. HFCS seems to be worse for causing insulin resistance, and it would be nice to see if that' is true or not in a study.

In addition to HFCS not being healthy to eat, I much prefer the taste of real sugar. My sister and I like to get Mexican Coke-Cola as it's made with real sugar and taste better than the USA kind. It is more satisfying.

I with the government would stop these corn subsidizes so companies would go back to using real sugar. (Not that people should eat that much sugar anyway.)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Cut out/reduce your sugar intake if you want to lose weight, avoid diabetes/cancer, reduce cavities and retain your brain cells. Natural sugars found in fruits and vegetables are good. Processed food containing refined sugar may be detrimental to your health. Junk food may be cheap but in the long run it may well be a lot more expensive than fresh food.

Drinking water is a lot healthier than drinking soft drinks or fruit juices. One glass of water contains zero teaspoons of sugar. One can of coke contains 9 teaspoons of sugar. One can of lemonade contains 8 teaspoons of sugar. Fruit juices contain 4 to 5 teaspoons of sugar the same amount roughly found in a standard drink of alcohol.

Hmm.
For those who watch deathnote.

L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L

*nomnomnom*

Around the Network

So that's why Americans are so dumb as well as fat.

(JK)

This post has been moderated ~Barozi

I eat lots of sugar and i'm not dum.

Andrespetmonkey said:

So that's why Americans are so dumb as well as fat.

This post has been moderated ~Barozi

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Carbonated sugary drinks are clearly a MAJOR factor in obesity and bad health and you should definitional restrict them to a minimum in your diet.
A doctor friend of mine also claims their is medical evidence that sugar is a major factor in someone developing cancer!

What sugar makes you dumb? I think I prove contrary up to 12 cans of coke a day in the past and today I'm down to four to six. Yet I am an intellectual and everyone comes to me for advice, I really do not think if this was completely true that I'd be going for my Masters In Entertainment Business Management with the amount of coke I drink I should be senile sitting on a park bench screaming the sky is falling!

Though come to think of it. My memory is horrible especially when it comes to remembering peoples names. Oh well who needs memory when you have intellect lol!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer