By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS2 is doomed (2000)

@ A_T

God forbid, someone say something that puts how the PS3 is really doing in perspective to what the PS2 did, shedding some good light on there, when you have to come trumpeting the Wii in this thread. Are you able to post without bringing up the phenomenal Wii sales? As far as the title says, this is a sony discussion.

@ Topic

That story while not the same as it is now, is about the same of what we've been hearing for the past year. I'm not saying the PS3 will turn it around, but like sky said, stranger things have happened. Sixteen months ago, we were all talking about the Wii flopping and look at it now with twenty mil (Almost) sell-through. If anyone should believe that things may turn around, I would expect Ninty fans to be the first.

Around the Network

@viewsonic9:

you missed, Sega net for DC as xLive feauture for x360. =))

Sega also has an online game network, Seganet. Sega is banking on the appeal of multiplayer online gaming, even going so far as to rebate the entire cost of a Dreamcast to players who sign up for Seganet.

then, NO need of blu-ray.
Sony is also under the mistaken impression that including the ability to play DVD movies is a huge selling point. But true technophiles and hardcore gamers probably already have DVD drives. I'm a good case in point. I already own a Sony DVD player, so I could not care less if the $299 PS2 can play movies. I'd rather pay less and get a machine that just plays games instead.

+ "i would better get x360, just a console, then ps3 - mediacenter". =))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Well, the PlayStation 3 already win if you look at the upcoming games.

If you want a PS 2 for a MGS series, FF series, GTA series, Silent Hill series, Gran Turismo series, Resident Evil series, Tekken series, Soul Calibur series, Ratchet and Jak series, DMC series and many other, the PS3 its your only choice now, but the price is still high even for many hardcore gamers.

viewsonic9 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
gamingdevil said:
Actually his baseless PS2 bashing reminds me of the gazillion articles bashing the Wii...

Deja vu?

Exactly, they SDF'ers think it applies to the PS3, but they are off base the Wii is where history will repeat

I think you will find it actually applies a hell of a lot more to the PS3. You could pretty much just replace every PS2 in the article with PS3 and it would read like any of the pieces written about the PS3 over the last year.

Lets look at some of the main points and see if they apply more to the PS3 or Wii shall we?

The most powerful console but with no games.

Using its ability to play movies on a new media as a selling point.

More difficult to develop for than its rivals.

Costing twice as much as its rival because of features that gamers dont want.

Nintendo & Microsoft being pointed out as its main rivals.

Mmm. Now I might have missed something but I cant see much there that sounds more like the Wii than the PS3 can you?

PS2 wasn't the most powerful console when all three were out, it also was the first out, not in the middle, it was never behind the GCN or the Xbox, it was never twice as much as the GCN or Xbox, sorry but your comparison between the PS2 and PS3 is hopelessly flawed

Edit:  Sorry meant PS2 not PS3 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

DMeisterJ said:
@ A_T

God forbid, someone say something that puts how the PS3 is really doing in perspective to what the PS2 did, shedding some good light on there, when you have to come trumpeting the Wii in this thread. Are you able to post without bringing up the phenomenal Wii sales? As far as the title says, this is a sony discussion.

@ Topic

That story while not the same as it is now, is about the same of what we've been hearing for the past year. I'm not saying the PS3 will turn it around, but like sky said, stranger things have happened. Sixteen months ago, we were all talking about the Wii flopping and look at it now with twenty mil (Almost) sell-through. If anyone should believe that things may turn around, I would expect Ninty fans to be the first.

Your idea that the Story is similar is weak, PS3 was never in last place with all of its competitors out, PS2 was never behind the GCN or Xbox, PS3 is behind both Wii and 360, and even after multiple price drops its still failed to jumpstart its sales, Also the analogy to Blu-ray and DVD is also poor since you never needed an expensive TV to enjoy the improvements of DVD over VHS and DVD was desired by the mass public, Blu-ray isn't

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

PS3 wasn't the most powerful console when all three were out, it also was the first out, not in the middle, it was never behind the GCN or the Xbox, it was never twice as much as the GCN or Xbox, sorry but your comparison between the PS2 and PS3 is hopelessly flawed

LOL, is that the only reason, why PS3 won`t DOMINATE as PS2 did? LOL.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
PS3 wasn't the most powerful console when all three were out, it also was the first out, not in the middle, it was never behind the GCN or the Xbox, it was never twice as much as the GCN or Xbox, sorry but your comparison between the PS2 and PS3 is hopelessly flawed

LOL, is that the only reason, why PS3 won`t DOMINATE as PS2 did? LOL.

No, there are more, but those are merely to point out why the PS3 is not the PS2, lets not forget the causal games are on the Wii not the PS3, also I meant PS2 was not the most powerful when all three were out, I mistyped, lol

This article reminds me of something people have been saying over and over the past year...

Don't buy a Wii
It's overpriced and has no online access, and hardly any good games are available to play on it.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By ___O_o______

Jan. 13, 2007 | Whether or not Nintendo was sincere in its claim that a supply crisis led it to cut its initial shipments of the Wii to just 2,500,000 units, there's little question that the corporation was successful in the arena of hype marketing. Lines of obsessed casuals non-gamers were a news staple Wednesday. But is the so-called superconsole really worth staying up all night for?

No. The Wii is not the revolutionary device that Ninty's marketing department would have you believe. Don't get me wrong; it's definitely the less powerful video-game machine on the planet right now. But that's not enough.

The Wii stats are certainly impressive; it's got a great new motion-gesture interface. But so what? There's just not much software available that can take advantage of it. The games that are being released at the same time as the system don't rise much, if at all, above games available for Sony's rival (and expensive) Playstation 3 video-game,blu-ray, multimedia system.

And don't expect a huge number of quality games anytime soon. Ninty has reversed positions with Sony and stupidly released a system that is not in many ways a game developer's nightmare. MS, learning from its PS/PS2 debacle, went out of its way to make the 360 easy to develop games for. But Ninty, intoxicated with the failure from the GC, forgot the first rule of the video-game industry: Software sells systems Graphics wins generations. If you make it easy for developers to produce good games then there's no reason for then to make then. So you are left alone with 60% of the software marked, and if you make a single great game(Wii sports), people will buy the system. This oversight has already cost Ninty some goodwill -- developers are howling about how easy and cheap it is to create games for the system. In an interview with Time magazine, Resident Evel 5 producer, said: "Casual games and minigame collections seem to be the games selling the most on the Wii and we aren't going to make these kinds of games. I blame Wii Fi!!!!."

Ninty is also under the mistaken impression that excluding the ability to play DVD/BR/HD-DVD movies is a huge selling point. But true technophiles and hardcore gamers probably already have DVD/BR/HD-DVD drives. I'm a good case in point. I don't have a HD player, so I care a lot if the $249 Wii can't play HD movies, or DVD movies. I'd rather pay more and get a machine that plays games and HD media instead.

In comparison, the Sony PS3 sells for $399 and has a small library of games already available. Sony also has an online game network, PSN. The PS3 comes with a built-in Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Sony will soon release HOME for it. (The Wii does not has online content) Sony is banking on the appeal of multiplayer online gaming/virtual comunities, even going so far as to offer free Online. Ninty, on the other hand, is promising online gaming later on but currently has nothing to offer purchasers of the Wii.

Ninty also has two 800-pound gaming gorillas breathing down its neck: Sony and Microsoft. According to BoG MS plans to release its powerful Xbox3 system next year. And Sony has a ten years plan with the PS3.

The XBox360 is more powerful than the Wii, and Microsoft has the marketing muscle and rapport with developers to do the Wii real damage. Like Ninty, Microsoft is taking great pains to make sure the 360 is easy to make games for -- developers will also be able to easily port games from the PC to the 360, thus insuring a huge supply of games.

So should you feel bad if you can't get a Wii right away? No way. If you wait a while you'll avoid all the lines and scuffling in stores and you'll end up with a much better selection of games. And if you wait long enough for the upcoming system from Microsoft (Xbox3) or Sony ten years plan, you'll probably see a cut in the price of the Wii as Ninty tries to ward off both threats.

Hardcore gamers aren't known for their patience, but this is one occasion when playing it smart may mean not playing at all. For now.

Fixed 

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
CrazzyMan said:
heh, somebody revived this article again. =)
Though, i showed it like half a year ago. =]

Soon, PS3 domiantion will be obvious to every sony hater. =)

I'm a big playstation fan too, but be realistic. any sane person knows the ps3 isn't going to fall into obscurity but at the same time, the idea that the ps3 is going to dominate the other consoles is simply wrong. tone it down and maybe you'll get banned less.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Seriously, how did this topic turn into "defense of the Wii".
Not once was the Wii mentioned in my first post, but all these fanboys decided to bound in here and turn this sony topic into a nintendo topic.
>_