By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS2 is doomed (2000)

well people were defending wii cause some were saying it will lose to ps3
Sony doesn't have to combat the Wii. Coke sells more bottles than Dom Perignon. You think the winemakers care about Coke?

Nintendo have turned their back on us gamers in order to become successful again. Thats ok, they did what they had to do to not go under. But... they're no longer relevant to me. Only Sony and M$ are looking after us now.
guess what will happen, when there will be affordable Dom perignon.

Nope, not at $350-450 they aren't causal enough, not when compared to Wii fit, and mario party, etc. which are much less with the Wii
you expect that price will stay same for many years? Ok, i ask YOU, what will happen, when PS3 will cost 249 and 299$? By HOW much in your opinion SALES will RISE?

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

you expect that price will stay same for many years? Ok, i ask YOU, what will happen, when PS3 will cost 249 and 299$? By HOW much in your opinion SALES will RISE?

Not as much as you think, because Wii will have the library and PS3 will be like the PSP a media device for blu-ray, look at the PSP, no matter how low its price gets it still doesn't sell much software

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Okay, let me apply the same logic to your arguement Crazzy.

What happens when GTA4 and KZ2 release and PS3's price drops?

What happens when the casual mad WiiFit releases and Wii's price drops?

If the PS3 has had 3 price drops and God knows how many sequels and is the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the maket with the most hyped games how can it not outsell a console that has no games or online access?

You think that the Wii will stop selling because of those games? You think casual players love shooters? No, they don't. Casual players are not going to pick up an expensive PS3 for shooters. Wii is selling by attracting the far larger Casual market, and that is something no console is going to steal anytime soon.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

@Avinash_Tyagi:

What makes you think, that people who played:

Tekken
Virtua Fighter
Soul calibur
Gran Turismo
Jack dexter
God of war
Wild arms
Front Mission
Metal Gear Solid
Z.O.E
Resident Evil
Silent Hill
Dino Crysis
Devil May cry
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Medal Of Honor
Ridge Racer
Tales of ...
Disgaea
Valkyrie profile
Persona
Grand Theft Auto
Burnout
Team Ico
Crash Bandicoot
Onimusha
Ace Combat
Ratchet and Clank
Xenosaga
Guitar Hero
Metal slug
Armored Core
Star ocean
Spyro
Breath of fire
Chrono ...
Grandia

ON PS2 (that is over 100 mln. people) will CHOICE Wii over PS3?
What makes YOU think, that people won`t want to play sequales of they favourite games???

@dtewi:

probably NOTHING, because usually system sales are increased not because of ONE GOOD game, but because of 10-20 GOOD games.
Sony will have over 20 GOOD games in 2008.

Blu-ray won HD war ONLY in January, if WB would make announcemnt in November, guess how much sales would increas? =))

And i don`t think, that wii will stop selling. But just read that thin about  Dom Perignon and Coke, and you will understand, i hope. :)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

didn't help the PSP, which had sequels of those games

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

the xbox was going to beat the ps2 according to him.... wow

Because a great deal of those series have gone downhill? I've played a great deal of the titles in that list on PS2, but their PS3 incarnations don't interest me due to the various series going south. And quite a few of them that I care about (FF, KH, Tales, VP, and XS) are either getting Wii/DS incarnations or were made by a studio that Nintendo now owns a majority share in (in XS's case). Also, every series you listed appeals to a very small overall demographic, and only one of those series (GTA) ever managed to sell more than about 12 million units of a single version of the games in said series. You can be sure that, unless there's been a huge hype around it, most of the sales of a sequel are repeat buyers, not newcomers.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

CrazzyMan said:
@Avinash_Tyagi:

What makes you think, that people who played:
Virtua Fighter
Soul calibur
Wild arms
Front Mission
Z.O.E
Resident Evil
Silent Hill
Dino Crysis
Devil May cry
Kingdom Hearts
Medal Of Honor
Ridge Racer
Tales of ...
Disgaea
Valkyrie profile
Persona
Grand Theft Auto
Burnout
Crash Bandicoot
Onimusha
Ace Combat
Ratchet and Clank
Xenosaga
Guitar Hero
Metal slug
Armored Core
Star ocean
Spyro
Breath of fire
Chrono ...
Grandia

those games there that i listed are either not exclusive to ps3,or announced for ps3,so what makes you think the ps2 users will go to ps3 when the cheaper systems have its games or theyre not announced for it

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

EHSTEVE said:
the xbox was going to beat the ps2 according to him.... wow

well he was wrong there

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Auron said:
Oh no i should throw out my PS2 and all the games i have for it.

I concur.........

Wii code: 6355-7594-5867-2364 Wii name: Mo Smash Bros Brawl: 5198-6095-4615 Cue Sports Revolution: 5327-4649-0447 Mario Kart Wii: 3308-8543-5834

SIG A.W.O.L