Was the Wii a fad?

Yes 131 38.76%

No 152 44.97%

Irrevelant, next-gen is coming 28 8.28%

see results 26 7.69%

Total:337
Soriku said:
Mazty said:

They haven't sold well considering the Wii console sales when compared to the 360 or PS3.
My point is that the wii is not for core gamers. No more heros sold just over 520,000....That's barely anything. 

If the wii is for core gamers, explain the relatively low sales of core games on the console.

Why do I need people to defend me? The sales speak for themselves. 

You're supposed to base each game on its own merit. Each game I listed has sold well for the publishers. It doesn't matter how well they sell in comparison to the PS3/360, as long as they did well for the publishers that's all that matters, and publishers have made it known that these games have sold well. For some reason you can't understand that. You won't even take evidence from the horse's mouth.

About No More Heroes...you know it's a niche game? And despite that it's Grasshopper's best selling game. And you also do know that NMH is also available on the PS3 and 360 right? Do you want me to tell you how abysmal the sales for the versions are compared to the Wii version?

Instead of going off on a tangent, answer the question:

If the wii is for core gamers, explain the relatively low sales of core games on the console.

Ranting and raving on about the publishers is entirely beside the point. I'm didn't say "Hey Soriku, yo, yeah, y'think the publishers will be happy?" So just answer the question please instead of desperately avoiding it.

Around the Network
archbrix said:
Mazty said:

1.  You ignored my point.  If you want to win, you will use the most precise controls available.

2.  With what logic are you writing off the entire PC gaming community? You are simply saying "they don't count because I say so". Give a good reason as to why PC gamers should be seen as a seperate crowd from other gamers. The reason people don't use mice with a console is because it's impractical. What was your point by bringing that up??

1.  No, I addressed your point.  Several times, in fact, but apparently I have to again, so I'll keep it as simple as possible.  I, who am not a casual gamer, along with many others, find motion controls for games like golf, bowling, and tennis MORE accurate than using a control pad.  It's far more realistic and accurate when putting a spin on the ball or getting more swing with a stroke, similar to how it is in, you know, REALLY PERFORMING THESE MOVES.  Make sense now?  I realize it's hard for you to understand how other people's opinions can differ from yours, but alas, they do.

2. Your hypocrisy here is truly amazing, but your response is, again, easily refutable.  You are simply regarding PCs as the standard for games; saying that if trends (such as motion controls) are not prevalent in PC gaming, they're relegated to being fads.  I have pointed out how ridiculous that is by saying home gaming consoles, which are primarily about gaming unlike PCs, have embraced motion controls.  So again, I know it's hard to accept opposing viewpoints to your own.  Regarding the mouse example, how is it so hard for you to understand its relevance when you've already answered your own question?  Twice.  As accurate as a mouse is, it's not practical in the environment where gaming takes full precedence.  Yet, motion controls are.  Hmmmm...

1. I think you need to pick up a dictionary because intuitive doesn't mean what I think you think it means. I would still argue that with tennis a pad allows you to do more quicker then with motion controls. Though if you prefer it for bowling/golf fair enough, although it is an incredibly niche market.

2. How am I regarding PC's as "THE" standard for games? I'm regarding them as source of gaming whereas you are just flat out ignoring them. Every PC may not be about gaming, but the fact that motion controls have not been successful on the PC, while in conjunction with the plateud kinect sales and lack of core game sales on the wii, shows that obviously motion controls do not bring anything necessary to gaming. 

Why the hell are you going on about mice still? You brought it up asking why they aren't used on consoles, and the answer was because it would be too problematic. To use a motion control you just have to stand up, whereas to use a keyboard and mouse you need a solid surface to rest them on. Either keep up with the conversation or leave. 

Well it went strong for about 5 years, and unless you're the PlayStation 2 you cant expect any console to go for much longer than that, especially when the successor is on the horizon. It didnt run out of steam early, the HD twins are simply going for much longer than a console normally would.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

Mazty said:
archbrix said:
Mazty said:

1.  You ignored my point.  If you want to win, you will use the most precise controls available.

2.  With what logic are you writing off the entire PC gaming community? You are simply saying "they don't count because I say so". Give a good reason as to why PC gamers should be seen as a seperate crowd from other gamers. The reason people don't use mice with a console is because it's impractical. What was your point by bringing that up??

1.  No, I addressed your point.  Several times, in fact, but apparently I have to again, so I'll keep it as simple as possible.  I, who am not a casual gamer, along with many others, find motion controls for games like golf, bowling, and tennis MORE accurate than using a control pad.  It's far more realistic and accurate when putting a spin on the ball or getting more swing with a stroke, similar to how it is in, you know, REALLY PERFORMING THESE MOVES.  Make sense now?  I realize it's hard for you to understand how other people's opinions can differ from yours, but alas, they do.

2. Your hypocrisy here is truly amazing, but your response is, again, easily refutable.  You are simply regarding PCs as the standard for games; saying that if trends (such as motion controls) are not prevalent in PC gaming, they're relegated to being fads.  I have pointed out how ridiculous that is by saying home gaming consoles, which are primarily about gaming unlike PCs, have embraced motion controls.  So again, I know it's hard to accept opposing viewpoints to your own.  Regarding the mouse example, how is it so hard for you to understand its relevance when you've already answered your own question?  Twice.  As accurate as a mouse is, it's not practical in the environment where gaming takes full precedence.  Yet, motion controls are.  Hmmmm...

1. I think you need to pick up a dictionary because intuitive doesn't mean what I think you think it means. I would still argue that with tennis a pad allows you to do more quicker then with motion controls. Though if you prefer it for bowling/golf fair enough, although it is an incredibly niche market.

2. How am I regarding PC's as "THE" standard for games? I'm regarding them as source of gaming whereas you are just flat out ignoring them. Every PC may not be about gaming, but the fact that motion controls have not been successful on the PC, while in conjunction with the plateud kinect sales and lack of core game sales on the wii, shows that obviously motion controls do not bring anything necessary to gaming. 

3. Why the hell are you going on about mice still? You brought it up asking why they aren't used on consoles, and the answer was because it would be too problematic. To use a motion control you just have to stand up, whereas to use a keyboard and mouse you need a solid surface to rest them on. Either keep up with the conversation or leave. 

1.  Lol, your posts are becoming desperate.  Although I am quite aware of what intuitive means, I didn't even use the word in my last response.  I did, however, use "accurate" and "realistic".  Do you know what those mean?  And the Wii sold quite well for "an incredibly niche market", no?

2.  No, I'm not flat out ignoring PC gaming at all.  And I never once said I expect motion controls to become commonplace on PCs.  You, however, did state that because they are not, they must be fads, or that they bring nothing necessary to gaming.  Again I would say that many disagree with you... and did you ever stop and think that perhaps the reason for the Wii's abrupt decline was because Nintendo pretty much abandoned it prematurely?  They made a choice to focus on its successor instead, which, in case you hadn't heard, will readily support motion controls too.

3.  Third time's the charm?  Maybe?  No?  Ok, one more time with feeling:  The reason I brought up mice was because you declared PC gaming as the be all, end all standard in what determines if something is relevant to gaming, when you exclaimed that motion controls are nothing more than a fad because they've never been successful on PCs.  I logically assumed that if the PC was indeed worthy of this status, then that would mean its control method, a mouse, should be prevalent everywhere that any "serious" gaming took place... such as consoles.  You yourself have now stated, THREE TIMES, the impracticality of this idea in the home console space.  With me so far?  Good.  

Therefore, we can assume that because mice don't suck just because they're not console standards, motion controls also don't suck just because they're not PC standards.  In other words, get over yourself in declaring motion controls can't be used to better some games for some people.

Alphachris said:
My main Problem with the Wii was that it simply lacked substance. It was the first console in my life (started with NES) that I simply did not play with...

Lets look at the top 30 Software and show what Software somehow defined the Wii

1 Wii Sports
2 Mario Kart Wii
3 Wii Sports Resort
4 Wii Play Wii
5 New Super Mario Bros. Wii
6 Wii Fit
7 Wii Fit Plus
8 Super Smash Bros. Brawl
9 Super Mario Galaxy Wii
10 Just Dance 2
11 Just Dance 3
12 Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Wii
13 Mario Party 8 Wii
14 Wii Party
15 Super Mario Galaxy 2
16 Just Dance
17 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
18 Donkey Kong Country Returns
19 Zumba Fitness Wii
20 Link's Crossbow Training Wii
21 LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga Wii
22 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Wii
23 Animal Crossing: City Folk Wii
24 Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
25 Michael Jackson: The Experience Wii
26 Carnival Games Wii
27 EA Sports Active Wii
28 Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
29 Guitar Hero: World Tour Wii 2008
30 Super Paper Mario

If I look for a substantial single player experience that I am only left with Super Mario Bros Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Lego Star Wars and Super Paper Mario... Very concentrated on the Platform Genre and no Game with a Focus on story telling and character development. Of these Games I only played Super Mario Galaxy but I am likely to buy some when I have finally finished my existing backlog.

If I compare the situation with the PS3 I simply got more substantial games and more variety:

1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
2 Call of Duty: Black Ops
3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
4 Grand Theft Auto IV
5 Gran Turismo 5
6 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
7 FIFA Soccer 12
8 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
9 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
10 Battlefield 3
11 Assassin's Creed II
12 LittleBigPlanet
13 Call of Duty: World at War
14 FIFA Soccer 11
15 Final Fantasy XIII
16 Red Dead Redemption
17 Resident Evil 5
18 Assassin's Creed
19 God of War III
20 Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
21 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
22 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
23 Resistance: Fall of Man
24 Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
25 MotorStorm
26 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
27 FIFA Soccer 10
28 Batman: Arkham Asylum
29 Assassin's Creed: Revelations
30 Sports Champions

I do not like Shooters and Sandboxgames and therefore I will not go into CoD and GTA/Red Dead Redemption. I personally enjoy Final Fantasy XIII, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil, Little Big Planet and God of War. I simply have more variety and besides the gameplay I have story telling and character development aspects in the games.

So the Wii sold better, but it mainly sold games that are often lack substance. It is nice for beginners who are not into games because they can learn the games rather quickly. But as a single player experience it was underwhelming for me. It is sad but I bought more games from the Virtual Console than for the Wii. The Wii might have sold very well but the SNES was the best Nintendo console for me... Super Mario World, Zelda 3, Terranigma, Castlevania, Metroid, Super Probotector, Terranigma, Actraiser... (Unfortunately europe did not get Final Fantasy...).

I see what you did there, a quick look at your Wii list and all the words I saw were: zumba, sports, mario, dance

Around the Network

I assume by "Wii" you mean "motion controls", because by your list, all consoles are fads, since sales of all consoles go down and decline after a certain period of time.

As for the question is Wii a fad? Not at all, in terms of Home Console success. The Wii is still Nintendo's most successful console in its sixth year. Hardware and software sales are lower than the PS3 and Xbox 360, but not that much lower. Just Dance 3 was released a few months ago, and is on track to sell over 10 million, it's the most successful title in the franchise history which is very specifically a motion controls game; and the Wii version is the one people are getting, not the Xbox 360 or PS3 version. The Wii is achieving this with sparse software releases and a new console just over the horizon.

Lastly, motion controls are now a feature of every single new console, both home and handheld. That's not a fad, that's a trend.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

whacker41 said:
Well it went strong for about 5 years, and unless you're the PlayStation 2 you cant expect any console to go for much longer than that, especially when the successor is on the horizon. It didnt run out of steam early, the HD twins are simply going for much longer than a console normally would.

This.

I don't get what people expected out of the Wii. While its peak was much much higher than the numbers it currently is bringing in, it still is selling respectable numbers, and I believe is still on pace with PS2 sales, or at least close. A higher peak = a bigger drop.

This thread was great back in 2007.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Mazty said:

I believe it was a fad because core games failed on it (CoD series, cursed mountain, the conduit, madworld). Twilight Princes only sold a meagre ~ 7 million units, which pales in comparison to the 11 million units Halo 3 sold, and yet the Xbox 360 has sold 30% less units then the wii.
 The game sales in relation to sold consoles, just don't add up for a console that isn't a fad:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/04/talking_point_why_skyward_sword_sales_failed_to_soar

It looks like a large proportion of wii owners are not into core games, therefore we have to conclude that a large portion of wii owners are casual gamers. Casual gamers are attracted by fads, not quality, because they have no history of gaming to draw upon.

What will be interesting is how much this will hurt the Wii U because the majority of Wii owners, if they are casual gamers, will not be bothered in upgrading as they are not interested in graphics or hardware; if they were, they wouldn't be casual gamers. Therefore by grabbing a large, yet finite market, has Nintendo sealed it's fate? I think so.

well, using this logic means that games on iphone and ipad are fads as well, and in games for these platforms should seize to exist fairly soon... you know cuz its only casual games on them.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

6 years is a normal console lifespan. A fad would've been 2-3 years.