By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who's the strongest super hero? (No anime!)

To all of those who say Dr. Manhattan I must respond with Doctor Strange. His enemies are Gods such as Set and Mephisto while his peers are entities such as Infinity and Death. Dr. Manhattan is powerful indeed but Doctor Strange is a God among Gods.

Around the Network
bouzane said:

To all of those who say Dr. Manhattan I must respond with Doctor Strange. His enemies are Gods such as Set and Mephisto while his peers are entities such as Infinity and Death. Dr. Manhattan is powerful indeed but Doctor Strange is a God among Gods.

But Strange is still a mortal man. Manhattan is not. Strange can do incredible things but generally, only over a period of time and with deep concentration. That doesn't exactly scream "let's fight!"

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
bouzane said:

But Strange is still a mortal man. Manhattan is not. Strange can do incredible things but generally, only over a period of time and with deep concentration. That doesn't exactly scream "let's fight!"

He seemed to fight well and act quickly enough in The Sorcerer Supreme. When plunged into hellfire generated by the God Dormamu he simply absorbed his enemy and all of his power. Eternity tells Strange that he is "more powerful by far than any of your fellow humanoids" and the Stranger likens his power to that of the Cosmic Entities. He is by far the most powerful Marvel character and I am convinced that his power dwarfs that of Dr. Manhattan.

bouzane said:
rocketpig said:
bouzane said:

He seemed to fight well and act quickly enough in The Sorcerer Supreme. When plunged into hellfire generated by the God Dormamu he simply absorbed his enemy and all of his power. Eternity tells Strange that he is "more powerful by far than any of your fellow humanoids" and the Stranger likens his power to that of the Cosmic Entities. He is by far the most powerful Marvel character and I am convinced that his power dwarfs that of Dr. Manhattan.

He's definitely not the most powerful Marvel character. Entities such as The One Above All, the Living Tribunal, the Beyonder, etc. are definitely more powerful. I wouldn't even rank him above dedicated ass-kickers like the Surfer. He's powerful but has too many weaknesses since he is, after all, just a man.

The interesting sidebit for those who claim Superman is most powerful: Strange could kick his ass. Strange's repertoire is entirely based on magic. Superman's two weaknesses? Kryptonite and... Magic.

What about Rogue from xmen against mr. Manhattan. What if she absorbed his powers, making him weak and giving her the advantage by having all his abilities? :O

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:

What about Rogue from xmen against mr. Manhattan. What if she absorbed his powers, making him weak and giving her the advantage by having all his abilities? :O

There are limits as to how much power Rogue can absorb. I doubt that she would even put a dent in Dr. Manhattan before going mad.

@rocketpig

The Silver Surfer more powerful than Doctor Strange? Are you serious?

Gilgamesh said:

Oh, God. All I imagined in that is her having a blue penis. I cannot unsee it!

bouzane said:
@rocketpig

The Silver Surfer more powerful than Doctor Strange? Are you serious?

People seem to forget that SS is one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel U outside of their crazy-powerful entities like The-One-Above-All or the Beyonder. He has the Power Cosmic. He was a herald of Galctus, which means that Galactus basically gave him a large slice of his own power to create him. As far as heroes goes, he could lay a beatdown on almost any other hero in the Marvel universe, Strange included.

Obviously, Strange is smarter. If he knew Surfer was coming, he'd probably be able to put something together to stop him (or at least enlist help that could). But in a straight-up fight? Nah, Surfer would beat the shit out of him.

Another character people tend to ignore is Black Bolt. The dude can destroy planets by talking.

I LOVE Dr. Strange. Went for him at Halloween once.

Strange is the epitome of a "Plot level power" characters.

For every time he's fighting Shuma Gorath and Eternity, he has trouble vs some low level mystic, or a crook.

Or has his hands crushed by the Hulk.

Dr. Strange as a base level average of all his feats is below someone like Silver Surfer or Gladiator, because if he used the powers he had at his highest showings... he'd never lose. That and a lot of his best showings tend to require long ritual times.

Really, when talking heroes. If there was one character I could say that could beat Mr. Manhattan and be classified as the strongest in the world it would be...

Squirrel Girl.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SquirrelGirl

She "technically" is as powerful as TOAA, but a good guy.

It just depends how you view "joke" characters.

Kasz216 said:
I LOVE Dr. Strange. Went for him at Halloween once.

Strange is the epitome of a "Plot level power" characters.

For every time he's fighting Shuma Gorath and Eternity, he has trouble vs some low level mystic, or a crook.

Or has his hands crushed by the Hulk.

Dr. Strange as a base level average of all his feats is below someone like Silver Surfer or Gladiator, because if he used the powers he had at his highest showings... he'd never lose. That and a lot of his best showings tend to require long ritual times.

Agreed. It's hard to rate Strange because people write him so inconsistently. One day, he's a street level enforcer. The next, he's erasing the entire world's memory that Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Wha?