By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo develop more "Mature" rated games?

Tagged games:

maybe a good idea

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
i've learned a lot from this thread... apparently "mature" content is separate from "quality" content, nintendo is apparently one of the rare companies still producing this "quality" content and those who appreciate mature content in reality are immature and appreciate that content because they desire to grow up... pretty interesting

As usual, you get bitter about something do with Nintendo.

Never change.

Play4Fun said:
o_O.Q said:
i've learned a lot from this thread... apparently "mature" content is separate from "quality" content, nintendo is apparently one of the rare companies still producing this "quality" content and those who appreciate mature content in reality are immature and appreciate that content because they desire to grow up... pretty interesting

As usual, you get bitter about something do with Nintendo.

Never change.

^.^

I wouldn't mind a few more mature titles developed by Nintendo. If they do develop some great if not, it's no big deal. Just as long as they keep making timeless classics thats all I want from Nintendo.

happydolphin said:
Viper1 said:

2nd party refers to a 3rd party game that Nintendo publishes (think Geist from n-Space).  Stuff like Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day would still be considered first party.  But obviously they are not part of the Japanese EAD teams.   Same with Disaster: Day Of Crisis being developed my Monolith Soft.  It's first party but not from the EAD teams.  

Project H.A.M.M.E.R. was being developed by Nintendo Software Technology; one of their US development teams.  And because it was canceled, we have no idea what the ESRB would have rated it though having played the early build at E3 I suspect no higher than 'T'.

What are you talking about?? Rare, Silicon Knights, those studios are what we called and have always called 2nd party studios, until they are completely absorbed by Nintendo.

So no, he was right, those were 2nd party games.

----------------------------------------- EDIT -----------------------------------------

I have to clarify this... Apparently there is no such thing as a 2nd party developer... it's a misnomer and always has been, apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development_party#Second-party_developer
"It is colloquially used in reference to a type of first or third-party developer that specializes in development for a particular platform."

But since Rare was never acquired by Nintendo, it was still a 3rd party developer:

"First-party developers may either use the name of the company itself (like Nintendo), have a specific division name (like Sony's Polyphony Digital), or have formerly been an independent studio before being acquired by the console manufacturer, such as Rare or Naughty Dog.[1]"

The mention of Rare here is in the case of Microsoft, as Nintendo never fully acquired Rare

So Perfect Dark would, by the same colloquialism, be called a 2nd party game during the time of the N64, during which time Rare would colloquially be called a 2nd party developer. If Geist is 2nd party (by colloquialism), then so was Perfect Dark for the N64.

Nintendeo owned 49% of Rare which was a controlling share.  That made them first party, not 3rd party or, colloquially, 2nd party.

Nintendo doesn't fully own GAme Freak, who make the Pokemon games.  Would you then say that Pokemon is not first party?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:

Nintendeo owned 49% of Rare which was a controlling share.  That made them first party, not 3rd party or, colloquially, 2nd party.

Nintendo doesn't fully own GAme Freak, who make the Pokemon games.  Would you then say that Pokemon is not first party?

Pokemon is technically a 2nd party game (Colloquially), but a 1st party IP.

Controlling share doesn't matter. What matters is full ownership, a.k.a. acquisition (as far as the definition goes).

Wikipedia:

First-party developer

In the video game industry, a first-party developer is a developer that is part of a company that manufactures a video game console, and develops exclusively for it.

->  First-party developers may either use the name of the company itself (like Nintendo), have a specific division name (like Sony's Polyphony Digital), or have formerly been an independent studio before being acquired by the console manufacturer, such as Rare or Naughty Dog.[1]

(happyD note: in this occurence the mention of Rare relating to its acquisition by Microsoft, not Nintendo, as that never happened)

Sorry to be pedantic, but sometimes Viper it's necessary.

I would love them to do that,I dont mean just realistic graphics but games wit more mature themes.I wouldn't mind Zelda doing that either as zelda games always have great storyline ideas but they dont really put much focus on them

The type of game to cater to more adult audiences didn't require a M rating, let's make that clear. Actually, they likely shouldn't require an M-rating in alot of the cases. My prime example was Uncharted, and it had a T rating.

happydolphin said:

Pokemon is technically a 2nd party game (Colloquially), but a 1st party IP.

Controlling share doesn't matter. What matters is full ownership, a.k.a. acquisition (as far as the definition goes).

Controlling share does matter.  Rare couldn't have developed a game for Sony or MS if they wanted to back then because Nintendo called the shots.  Are you suggesting that Game Freak, Project Sora, Nd Cube and Monolith Soft are 3rd party?

And don't fully rely on Wikipedia.  Especially when the data isn't sourced from anything. 

A 1st party studio that is wholly owned is referred to as an internal studio.  External first party studios would be those not fully owned but do have a controlling share...such as those I listed above.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

o_O.Q said:

Some "mature content" is more quality than others, but I think broadly that statement is correct. Ask any teacher/person who works with kids what games the ten year old kids are into at the moment and you will find the vast majority are into the violent/"mature" stuff for obvious reasons.

A guy who works in Gamestation told me that it is a battle to get the kids to try anything which isn't violent or "mature". These kids claim anything which doesn't have mature themes is "gay".  That's immaturity in a nutshell.

When I was a kid we would gasp in amazement at the pixellated blood in Mortal Kombat, some would even claim it was a better game than Street Fighter 2 because of the "more realistic" graphics. Only in hindsight can we now see this was a bit pathetic - the theme of the game is just the window dressing, it's all about how it plays.

In short, a gamer should be out to play quality, regardless of the theme. I'd say it would be inadvisable for Nintendo to stray to far from what they've been doing so well all these years. Stick to what you do best etc etc.

Too much planning, and you'll never get anything done.

Karl Pilkington.