By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo develop more "Mature" rated games?

Tagged games:

F0X said:
To answer the first post, I say that Nintendo produces plenty of games with stories that adults can appreciate, so there's not a need to make games with stories that are targeted solely at adult audiences.

Can you give examples? Apart from Corruption, I really don't see it. Not even 2nd party.

And Xenoblade (haven't played, but have an idea), Tri or TP wouldn't count. SS is getting closer, but even then what about the likes of Uncharted or Bioshock: things with humor, politics, and such?

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
F0X said:
To answer the first post, I say that Nintendo produces plenty of games with stories that adults can appreciate, so there's not a need to make games with stories that are targeted solely at adult audiences.

Can you give examples? Apart from Corruption, I really don't see it. Not even 2nd party.

And Xenoblade (haven't played, but have an idea), Tri or TP wouldn't count. SS is getting closer, but even then what about the likes of Uncharted or Bioshock: things with humor, politics, and such?

I assume that adults have wider tastes and are more open-minded than you suggest. Moreover, the linked article does not strictly define "game-playing adults", so the group could be much larger than the target audience of Uncharted or Bioshock. Finally, I didn't say that Nintendo produces plenty of games with "mature" stories. I said that they produce plenty of games with stories that adults can appreciate, which means that Nintendo doesn't need to make games with "mature" stories in order to interest certain adults. Granted there are adults that still might not care, but that begs this question: would their dollars worth the effort? Maybe not if all they like is 20 million-dollar Hollywood-esque experiences.

But I will give a few examples of first-party Nintendo games that dive into "mature" territory.

- The Fire Emblem series. Especially the console versions.

- Xenoblade Chronicles. Don't even bother arguing this with me. How you can say "it doesn't count" baffles me.

- Kid Icarus: Uprising. Did you mean 100% mature presentation? Probably not, because you cited Uncharted as an example. Anyway, I'd like to point out that Uprising is very faithful to the "exploration of human nature" side of Greek mythology.

- Metroid. I don't think you need help with this one. Even Other M, at the least, provoked discussion.

- Paper Mario 2 and 3. These games are positively dripping in smart, sometimes adult humor (which goes far above the heads of young players). One could go as far to call the Paper Mario games satires.

This does not include games that haven't been released in the US (Mother 3 :'( ), nor games made by second (oh how I wanted to say Sin and Punishment) or third-party developers... or some games you discounted even though I could make a case for them (Skyward Sword...). The list gets much larger once those factors are considered, so perhaps NOA should localize more "mature" games. Maybe then we can drop this entire discussion.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Rare gave Nintendo their most mature games, and when they got too mature Nintendo cut the relationship. Theres your answer if you know Nintendo history. Nintendo like Disney is a family oriented gaming company. If you make something that doesn't attract family they are not in affiliation with this and will make it public. Theres no shame in that really, theres more profit in that mentality. In this generation third parties are free to try out their games on Nintendos console, but the fanbase most likely wont be as inviting as Sony and Microsofts. Even the weakest first party gaming company in Microsoft has the fares the best in third party games because they commerially get behind them like Nintendo was behind Rare at one point.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Rare gave Nintendo their most mature games, and when they got too mature Nintendo cut the relationship. Theres your answer if you know Nintendo history. Nintendo like Disney is a family oriented gaming company. If you make something that doesn't attract family they are not in affiliation with this and will make it public. Theres no shame in that really, theres more profit in that mentality.

Wow...really? Nintendo let Rare go because they were getting 'too mature'?

Are you kidding me?!

It had nothing with the quality of their games falling? Them taking too long to develop games? Them losing many of their high quality members?

Or maybe 51% of the company being sold to MS thereby basically forcing Nintendo to sell the rest(for a good price).

The things some of you people say,I swear...

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Rare gave Nintendo their most mature games, and when they got too mature Nintendo cut the relationship. Theres your answer if you know Nintendo history. Nintendo like Disney is a family oriented gaming company. If you make something that doesn't attract family they are not in affiliation with this and will make it public. Theres no shame in that really, theres more profit in that mentality. In this generation third parties are free to try out their games on Nintendos console, but the fanbase most likely wont be as inviting as Sony and Microsofts. Even the weakest first party gaming company in Microsoft has the fares the best in third party games because they commerially get behind them like Nintendo was behind Rare at one point.

Never speak about Rare and Nintendo ever again.   I've heard some strange reasons for the dissolvement of their business relationship but nothing this inane.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
F0X said:

I assume that adults have wider tastes and are more open-minded than you suggest. Moreover, the linked article does not strictly define "game-playing adults", so the group could be much larger than the target audience of Uncharted or Bioshock. Finally, I didn't say that Nintendo produces plenty of games with "mature" stories. I said that they produce plenty of games with stories that adults can appreciate, which means that Nintendo doesn't need to make games with "mature" stories in order to interest certain adults. Granted there are adults that still might not care, but that begs this question: would their dollars worth the effort? Maybe not if all they like is 20 million-dollar Hollywood-esque experiences.

But I will give a few examples of first-party Nintendo games that dive into "mature" territory.

- Xenoblade Chronicles. Don't even bother arguing this with me. How you can say "it doesn't count" baffles me.

- Kid Icarus: Uprising. Did you mean 100% mature presentation? Probably not, because you cited Uncharted as an example. Anyway, I'd like to point out that Uprising is very faithful to the "exploration of human nature" side of Greek mythology.

- Metroid. I don't think you need help with this one. Even Other M, at the least, provoked discussion.

- Paper Mario 2 and 3. These games are positively dripping in smart, sometimes adult humor (which goes far above the heads of young players). One could go as far to call the Paper Mario games satires.

This does not include games that haven't been released in the US (Mother 3 :'( ), nor games made by second (oh how I wanted to say Sin and Punishment) or third-party developers... or some games you discounted even though I could make a case for them (Skyward Sword...). The list gets much larger once those factors are considered, so perhaps NOA should localize more "mature" games. Maybe then we can drop this entire discussion.

I think you're underestimating the sense in my PoV, but I see where you're coming from, and you are pretty damn close to what I'm talking about.

"Granted there are adults that still might not care, but that begs this question: would their dollars worth the effort? Maybe not if all they like is 20 million-dollar Hollywood-esque experiences."

Apart from the reason you give, which is debatable, this is an excellent question. Maybe it is, and that's why I mentioned undiscovered markets. L.A. Noire is attempting to meet that other market, so would a game like Red Dead Redemption.

You mention these games:

Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade. These are all asian-made games and are ridden with Clichés. Of course they offer themes which adults can relate to, but I'm talking about the experience as a whole. Unless you grew up playing those games, odds are as an ordinary non-gamer adult you will not be able to relate with those experiences in general. They are heavily inspired from asian cartoon culture which, as far as I can tell, neither resonates with most western, not even most oriental adults.

See, a game like Ni No Kuni I can see appealing to adults. The game is made by the creator of Spirited Away, and is a creative genius, able to captivate all audiences, and he comes from a movie background. Indeed, there are instances where Japanese art can cater to an older crowd. But the games you mentioned are not pieces non-gamer adults would gather around to play imho.

I understand that certain adults play them, and all the power to them, but if sales are any indicator, these adults are a minority.

When games like Uncharted and Bioshock, L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption display humor, history, simulated real-world adventure (à la Indiana Jones), or sci-fi earthen themes (not Halo, more Bioshock), then you get something your everyday movie-goer may want to play. And in so doing, you create a new market.

That's kind of the market I'm talking about.

Of course there is a market for games like Fire Emblem, for adults, but these would be gamer adults.

Of course there is a market for games like God of War, for adults, but these would be adults that like games that are over the top gory or with explicit sexual themes.

Then there is a market for games like Uncharted and L.A. Noire, with much more human-world themes that a regular, non-gamer adult audience can relate to. Imho this is the market Nintendo should go after, as it has the most potential for sales, imho as usual. But who knows.

happydolphin said:
F0X said:

But I will give a few examples of first-party Nintendo games that dive into "mature" territory

I think you're underestimating the sense in my PoV, but I see where you're coming from, and you are pretty damn close to what I'm talking about.

"Granted there are adults that still might not care, but that begs this question: would their dollars worth the effort? Maybe not if all they like is 20 million-dollar Hollywood-esque experiences."

Apart from the reason you give, which is debatable, this is an excellent question. Maybe it is, and that's why I mentioned undiscovered markets. L.A. Noire is attempting to meet that other market, so would a game like Red Dead Redemption.

You mention these games:

Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade. These are all asian-made games and are ridden with Clichés. Of course they offer themes which adults can relate to, but I'm talking about the experience as a whole. Unless you grew up playing those games, odds are as an ordinary non-gamer adult you will not be able to relate with those experiences in general. They are heavily inspired from asian cartoon culture which, as far as I can tell, neither resonates with most western, not even most oriental adults.

See, a game like Ni No Kuni I can see appealing to adults. The game is made by the creator of Spirited Away, and is a creative genius, able to captivate all audiences, and he comes from a movie background. Indeed, there are instances where Japanese art can cater to an older crowd. But the games you mentioned are not pieces non-gamer adults would gather around to play imho.

I understand that certain adults play them, and all the power to them, but if sales are any indicator, these adults are a minority.

When games like Uncharted and Bioshock, L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption display humor, history, simulated real-world adventure (à la Indiana Jones), or sci-fi earthen themes (not Halo, more Bioshock), then you get something your everyday movie-goer may want to play. And in so doing, you create a new market.

That's kind of the market I'm talking about.

Of course there is a market for games like Fire Emblem, for adults, but these would be gamer adults.

Of course there is a market for games like God of War, for adults, but these would be adults that like games that are over the top gory or with explicit sexual themes.

Then there is a market for games like Uncharted and L.A. Noire, with much more human-world themes that a regular, non-gamer adult audience can relate to. Imho this is the market Nintendo should go after, as it has the most potential for sales, imho as usual. But who knows.

If that is what you mean, then I agree with you to an extent. Games like Bioshock, L.A. Noire, and Heavy Rain attract a large (western) adult audience due to their stories and how they're presented, but I wonder how many players are the "non-gamers" you speak of. Why do I only see traditional gamers playing these types of games when these are games the untapped audience (according to you) would appreciate?

I think if Nintendo wanted to develop more games that appealed to the tastes you describe, there are at least two things they could/should do:

1. Further pursue partnerships with western developers. Basically what Sony has been doing for a long time now.

2. Experiment. Take a risk on unusual gameplay. Put a few million dollars into a visual novel, or an adventure game hybrid, or an unorthodox story-focused puzzle game. Make something that defies expectations- something that expands on the concept of a Nintendo game or video game. Make it simple to play, so non-traditional gamers can finish it. Think with portals.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

^I word: YES.

PSwii60 said:
More? Has Nintendo even ever developed a Rated 'M' game?

"Not sure if serious"

The age rating shouldn't be a concern, but yes i would like to see them take a title like metroid and actually have it tackle mature themes. The previous titles have had non-existant stories and shells for characters. Other M tried but failed, but that wasnt developed by ninty.