By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo develop more "Mature" rated games?

Tagged games:

I'd rather play Super Mario Galaxy 2 over a 'mature' game like Gears of War 3 (probably not the best example XD ) any day. Imagination will always be key... and nintendo games have that in abundance.

Around the Network

They shouldn't set out to make mature rated games, as that mentality can often lead to clichés. They should set out to come up with new ideas to make new games, and then if one or more ends up requiring a mature rating, so be it.

VGChartz

They should make at least one for the present generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I don't know how anyone can say that they shouldn't. Of course they should. Yes we know that Mario and Pokemon games sell tens of millions but there is completely different audience for games like Gears of War, God of War, Battlefield etc and even though these won't sell like some Nintendo games we are still talking about millions of sales to completely different audience. So of course they should. Wider audience is what every console manufacturer wants.

I agree with Kitler and KillerMan.

Of course they shouldn't abandon their huge money-makers, noone is saying that. But there is a market that desires M rated or darker themed games, especially those of quality like we know Nintendo to be able to produce: Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, these games were all done under Nintendo's creative supervision.

Yes, that is the kind of game a gamer like me wants. More mature themes, Nintendo quality. Give me all the 3rd party games you want, that will never replace that need for quality mature games by Nintendo (and their 2nd party studios).

And there is a market for those games, now more than ever. Add to that 3rd party support, and Nintendo has a chance at grabbing the core market, much more so than Microsoft with 1 game (Halo), believe me. I know they have fable and Alan Wake, but their big one is Halo.

PosPlatformNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
14 Xbox (XB) 15.77 7.17 0.53 1.18 24.65
15 GameCube (GC) 12.55 4.44 4.04 0.71 21.74
PosPlatformNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
12 Xbox (XB) 191.80 65.95 3.88 9.83 271.46
14 GameCube (GC) 135.02 40.00 27.54 6.05 208.61

Remember guys, the Cube sold nearly as many units as the Xbox did. And that was a different time. They can do as much as Microsoft in the core market next gen, more than ever. Without discarding the casual audience (keep that marketed), they need to have two lines of products, one for the casual and non-gamers (which core may also buy), and one mainly for the core. Names like "Touch Generation" and such should be used as much as possible to help guide buyers to their needs.

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:
They shouldn't set out to make mature rated games, as that mentality can often lead to clichés. They should set out to come up with new ideas to make new games, and then if one or more ends up requiring a mature rating, so be it.

This is the correct answer. Nintendo should invest in new ideas, and whether they are Mature-rated or not is irrelevent. Although it's somewhat of a bad example because Nintendo gave them very little backing, look at Monolith's games, or The Last Story, or Zangeki no Reginleiv.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
milkyjoe said:

This is the correct answer. Nintendo should invest in new ideas, and whether they are Mature-rated or not is irrelevent. Although it's somewhat of a bad example because Nintendo gave them very little backing, look at Monolith's games, or The Last Story, or Zangeki no Reginleiv.

I don't completely agree. I agree that, no matter what they do, they should be investing in new ideas or at least creative ideas. Clichés are a no-no, no matter the rating. Even E ratings can lead to clichés so the argument there isn't very convincing.

I think it's important from a business point of view to direct the creative ideas towards certain tastes (in this occurrence mature themed games) in order to reach certain markets. Going the other way around is ignoring fundamental business considerations (what the consumers need or want).

happydolphin said:
Mr Khan said:
milkyjoe said:

I don't completely agree. I agree that, no matter what they do, they should be investing in new ideas or at least creative ideas. Clichés are a no-no, no matter the rating. Even E ratings can lead to clichés so the argument there isn't very convincing.

I think it's important from a business point of view to direct the creative ideas towards certain tastes (in this occurrence mature themed games) in order to reach certain markets. Going the other way around is ignoring fundamental business considerations (what the consumers need or want).

The rebuttal here is couched in the "primacy of gameplay" school of thought. If you want to pursue different ideas, it should first be about how the game plays, and not what coat of paint the game has (which is all rating really amounts to, whatever the "M-rating is cool" crowd might say). Certain tastes for gameplay have only been catered to in an M-rated environment, but that is more because of AAA Developers' bias towards making "mature" games than anything else.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

swii26 said:

With an adult market ever growing, should Nintendo put more focus on developing AAA titles with a mature story? According to data found at http://www.theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp, the average age of a game player is 37 and 82% of gamers are 18 and older.

Miyamoto and others at Ninty have said they don't feel like Mature-rated games are a good fit for them, and of course, none of their franchises would even work in that type of game, except for Metroid or Zelda.  I think mature-rated games using Ninty properties would better be handled by Retro or Monolith, or some other non-internal first-party studio.

Just look at Skyward Sword... I mean, if that's any indication of how EAD feels about the direction they want Zelda to go, that leaves precious little doubt that they have no interest in photo-realism.

Mr Khan said:

The rebuttal here is couched in the "primacy of gameplay" school of thought. If you want to pursue different ideas, it should first be about how the game plays, and not what coat of paint the game has (which is all rating really amounts to, whatever the "M-rating is cool" crowd might say). Certain tastes for gameplay have only been catered to in an M-rated environment, but that is more because of AAA Developers' bias towards making "mature" games than anything else.

Something is blocking your reasoning, you have a bias I just can't put my finger on it.

Would you agree that certain markets refuse to play games with certain themes (kiddy) because they prefer, as a matter of basic preference, games with more mature themes (by mature I don't mean gore and sex I mean themes that relate to adult life, like money, justice and humor, etc.)?

Would you agree that a company catering to said market needs to output content relevant for said market?

That's the bottom line. You can have a super cumfy sweater, but if it's fluorecent green, maybe the buyer won't want it.

That's all this is about.

To make perfectly clear: I'm not talking about taste in gameplay, I'm talking about taste in content (themes, story, characters, etc.). This matters to some people (many actually, many more than you may think imho).