By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Wii-mote a reason to not buy a Wii?

ferret1603 said:

Branko2166 said:
It is a big reason why I will not be getting a wii. I don't mind motion controls being in mini games and if they are optional however I hate that they are forced on you if you get a wii. Sure you can get a classic controller but the problem with that is that all games must be designed for the wiimote as it is the standard controller for the wii.

Most games actually seem designed for the classic or Gamecube controller with the wiimote feeling tacked on. I use a standard controller for most of my games so the wiimote certainly isn't forced on you.

That's good to know since I wouldn't want it for all games. Even A review I read for MP3 did mention it's gun was simplifed some because of the remote.

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
ferret1603 said:

Branko2166 said:
It is a big reason why I will not be getting a wii. I don't mind motion controls being in mini games and if they are optional however I hate that they are forced on you if you get a wii. Sure you can get a classic controller but the problem with that is that all games must be designed for the wiimote as it is the standard controller for the wii.

Most games actually seem designed for the classic or Gamecube controller with the wiimote feeling tacked on. I use a standard controller for most of my games so the wiimote certainly isn't forced on you.

That's good to know since I wouldn't want it for all games. Even A review I read for MP3 did mention it's gun was simplifed some because of the remote.

Yeah, it becomes a problem with a game like Strikers Charged where they did not let you use a normal controller.  I played that game with a group of 3 friends for hours and hours in order to try to beat the first one on the harder difficulties, but having to shake the wiimote to hit people turned me off.  I might just get the original for Gamecube even though the sequel added a lot of cool features.  Oh well.

I hope all games going forward have the option to use the Gamecube or Classic controller. 

prlatino86 said:
Ill admit, its a big reason i dont want to get a Wii. Every time I've played it, i didn't much like it. It works well for the mini game and party sort of games, but i think the little bit more hardcore games i didnt like it much for.

Specifically SMG, i personally couldnt stand the controls playing that game. I played it for a few hours, and it just didnt feel as tight as i could have done with a game pad.

Also i hate the idea when people tell me "if you play it, its good exercise". First of all, this has been shown to be a load of crap, there was a study recently that showed it actually is nowhere near as good as even just going outside for a walk. Secondly, i play video games to have fun and relax, i go to the gym to workout and stay in shape.

honestly, if they had some sort of like regular controller that you can have an option to use in some games (which we know is possible in games like Call of Duty 3 and other games when there are versions of it on other systems) then i would be more inclined to pick the system up.

They do.  Almost every game for Wii supports a classic controller or Gamecube controller.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
omgwtfbbq said:
I only bought the Wii because I can't afford a PS3. I really wanted a PS3 but because I couldn't afford it I decided to hate on it instead. Nintendo FTW

I knew it !!!  Atleast your honest.  But don't hate the ps3 cause you can't afford one, get even and start saving you arse off for that ps3 - then hate the Wii for being crap :P

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

I only bought a gaming system at all because of the Wiimote controller. I was going to say forget it, gaming is way to expensive and It's been the exact same for +10 years with nothing new. Thankfully Nintendo saw that gamers were getting bored and came up with something new and interesting for videogames.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

I didn't even know the Wii had motion controls when I bought. Well, I vaguely heard about it but I didn't think it was even that big of a deal. Just bought it to play Zelda.

^ans what do you think of the motion controls

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
^ans what do you think of the motion controls

I always avoided playing Wii Sports because it wasn't what I liked but every now and then I popped it in, and it's quite addicting. Wouldn't be so if it was done with standard controllers.

^i think you should also play with alot of people its much funner like that

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
^i think you should also play with alot of people its much funner like that
 I think you should realize I'd bought the Wii for a single player experience.