By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Wii-mote a reason to not buy a Wii?

no i didnt really care about that

at first there were alot of people i knwo that didnt wanna buy wii because of the remote but then after playing it they bought it

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
prlatino86 said:
Ill admit, its a big reason i dont want to get a Wii. Every time I've played it, i didn't much like it. It works well for the mini game and party sort of games, but i think the little bit more hardcore games i didnt like it much for.

Specifically SMG, i personally couldnt stand the controls playing that game. I played it for a few hours, and it just didnt feel as tight as i could have done with a game pad.

Also i hate the idea when people tell me "if you play it, its good exercise". First of all, this has been shown to be a load of crap, there was a study recently that showed it actually is nowhere near as good as even just going outside for a walk. Secondly, i play video games to have fun and relax, i go to the gym to workout and stay in shape.

honestly, if they had some sort of like regular controller that you can have an option to use in some games (which we know is possible in games like Call of Duty 3 and other games when there are versions of it on other systems) then i would be more inclined to pick the system up.

try playing metroid prime 3 and RE4 wii edition they work fine with the wii-remote and that might change your mind

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I didn't want a Wii until October-then I saw the how the controls worked....AWESOMELY

I got it because it was the sequel to the GC, but I grew to love the motion control

My reason for getting a Wii was that, at the time I got it, there were at least 5 games out for it that I was interested in. Granted, 3 of them were GameCube games (ToS, PM:TTYD, and LoZ:WW), but seeing as I'd skipped out on the GC and I knew that another 3 good Wii games would end up coming out soon anyway (SPM, MP3, and SMG; I got Raving Rabbids and LoZ:TP at the same time as my console), I went ahead and skipped getting a GC entirely and got a Wii. The Wiimote didn't even factor in; I've tried out so many control schemes in my day that I figured the Wiimote would be easy enough to adapt to. And I was right. Took me all of 5 minutes to get the hang of it, if that.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

I love Nintendo so thats why I got Wii. But when I first used the controller I think the first words that came out of my mouth were "this is fucking great". I hated shooting games last generation but with Wii now ...

I hate playing 1st person shooters with a classic controller now (thanks a bunch MP3!)....
RE4 kicks so much ass with the wiimote

Wii code: 6355-7594-5867-2364 Wii name: Mo Smash Bros Brawl: 5198-6095-4615 Cue Sports Revolution: 5327-4649-0447 Mario Kart Wii: 3308-8543-5834

SIG A.W.O.L

gamingdevil said:
windbane said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
I love the Wii controls, I don't want to go back to using the old style controllers anymore

I guess you'll be missing out on the best control scheme for many games, then.

Wiimote is good for some games but not otthers. I'd rather have a light gun for RE:UC because the Wiimote there isn't as good as a mouse.

Let's see,

FPS - Check
Adventure - Check
Platformers - Check
Racers - Check
Most Sport games - Check
Lightgun games - Check

What exactly controls better with the old control scheme except maybe fighters?

Racers would be better on Sixaxis because you still have the controls but also the motion.  There's no need to point in a racing game.

Most sports games = classic controls.  I have no idea what sports games you are playing, but Wii Sports hardly counts.  No hardcore Madden player is going to play the Wii version.

Lightgun games are better when they are ...real light gun games.  UC wasn't that good (I beat it).  You aren't pointing at the screen so much as guiding a cursor, except it's not as accurate as a mouse and seems to get off track quickly.  Not to mention having to shake the controller to reload in most games.  Ugh. 

Adventure and platforming games don't benefit much.  Collecting star bits and a few levels where you pull Mario are the only uses.  Again, shaking instead of a button is getting old.

As for FPS...I really want to like the Wiimote.  I really do.  I'm playing Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 right now because I was told it has the best FPS controls for the Wii.  Besides the fact the game totally blows compared to CoD4, I'm finding it hard to get a consistent cursor on the screen.  If anyone has some advice it would be much appreciated.  I've played with the sensitivity options, I'm about 5' from the TV but I've adjusted a few feet back and forth, I've changed the sensor from top to bottom and back to top, and nothing really feels right.   It might be slightly better than dual sticks, and perhaps I will just need to get used to it, but in the end you aren't really pointing where you want to shoot, you are just guiding a cursor.  If the Wiimote gets off track a little you end up "pointing" above the TV to get the cursor to go to the top of the screen and then have to reset it.  Unfortunately, every time you reload you are having to jerk the pointer so this happens quite a lot.

At least with dual sticks you know where your cursor is at all times.  Oh, I've also tried changing my height for sitting but to no avail.  The control method for aiming is the same as a mouse but less accurate, and the whole thing just doesn't feel right.  If someone has found a good system let me know.

I'll try some more, but I'm quickly becoming frustrated with the Wiimote. 

I bought the Wii simply because it was the next Nintendo. Zelda being a launch title helped me with that decision as well. :P

As for the Wiimote, I thought it was interesting prior to launch, but I didn't really form an opinion on it until I tried it.

As it stands now, I like the Wiimote/nunchuck combo, but I like GC controller and the Sixaxis/Dualshock 3 as well. I could go either way.

windbane said:
gamingdevil said:
windbane said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
I love the Wii controls, I don't want to go back to using the old style controllers anymore

I guess you'll be missing out on the best control scheme for many games, then.

Wiimote is good for some games but not otthers. I'd rather have a light gun for RE:UC because the Wiimote there isn't as good as a mouse.

Let's see,

FPS - Check
Adventure - Check
Platformers - Check
Racers - Check
Most Sport games - Check
Lightgun games - Check

What exactly controls better with the old control scheme except maybe fighters?

Racers would be better on Sixaxis because you still have the controls but also the motion. There's no need to point in a racing game.

Most sports games = classic controls. I have no idea what sports games you are playing, but Wii Sports hardly counts. No hardcore Madden player is going to play the Wii version.

Lightgun games are better when they are ...real light gun games. UC wasn't that good (I beat it). You aren't pointing at the screen so much as guiding a cursor, except it's not as accurate as a mouse and seems to get off track quickly. Not to mention having to shake the controller to reload in most games. Ugh.

Adventure and platforming games don't benefit much. Collecting star bits and a few levels where you pull Mario are the only uses. Again, shaking instead of a button is getting old.

As for FPS...I really want to like the Wiimote. I really do. I'm playing Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 right now because I was told it has the best FPS controls for the Wii. Besides the fact the game totally blows compared to CoD4, I'm finding it hard to get a consistent cursor on the screen. If anyone has some advice it would be much appreciated. I've played with the sensitivity options, I'm about 5' from the TV but I've adjusted a few feet back and forth, I've changed the sensor from top to bottom and back to top, and nothing really feels right. It might be slightly better than dual sticks, and perhaps I will just need to get used to it, but in the end you aren't really pointing where you want to shoot, you are just guiding a cursor. If the Wiimote gets off track a little you end up "pointing" above the TV to get the cursor to go to the top of the screen and then have to reset it. Unfortunately, every time you reload you are having to jerk the pointer so this happens quite a lot.

At least with dual sticks you know where your cursor is at all times. Oh, I've also tried changing my height for sitting but to no avail. The control method for aiming is the same as a mouse but less accurate, and the whole thing just doesn't feel right. If someone has found a good system let me know.

I'll try some more, but I'm quickly becoming frustrated with the Wiimote.

The only shooter I have so far is Link's Crossbow Training, and I've been having the same issues as you.   It's deifinitely not like a mouse.