By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NSMB2, WiiU mark the birth of downloadable retail games on Nintendo consoles

Retail games

It was about time! 9 20.00%

Bound to ONE console!??? Come on! :( 4 8.89%

I buy all my stuff retail, so who cares 17 37.78%

What about buying games 2nd hand!? 1 2.22%

Make the digital games cheaper is all I care. 14 31.11%

Total:45

I hate the thought of a DD future.

It's good to have the option, but I won't be using it.

is this what Nintendo bought Mobiclip for?

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

Well now you're actually talking and giving arguments, so yeah I knew you could, you just weren't doing it. I'm glad I was able to get you to say something meaningful.

I understand that you can't buy/sell 2nd hand, and that's a downside for sure, but at least it's to be expected, since the best mechanism to own the digital copy is to have it bound to an account (like battle.net).

Taking it to a friend's house is possible if you log in to your account and your friend has the game installed on his computer. Installations are usually free to download, with your account being the key to playing the game. So that isn't true for most properly done DL games.

noname2200 said:
JEMC said:

OT: My biggest worry with this is storage. It's ok to use SD cards for the 3DS games, but WiiU will use custom discs with 25GB of capacity. Where a we going to download them?

It's been confirmed that the system can use USB HDDs as well as SD cards.

Thank you.

SD cards could work with WiiUWare games, but with full retail games and HDD would be the most sensible choice.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

This just worries me that they might not have an HDD. If you want to make it so consumers dl games you have to give them a place to put them. Requiring consumers to buy USB sticks and external HDD is just going to limit the amount of people who buy and dl things on the Wii U. Just put a big HDD into each console and make it easy and quick to get onto the store.

I can't tell you how many times I decided not to buy something from the Virtual console because it just takes too long to load it up. With the PS3 or 360 as soon as you turn the system on you can easily buy games and other entertainment. Please keep things simple Nintendo.

Guys, it's an option.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
theRepublic said:

If you can't connect to the internet, or the servers are down you are probably screwed though.  And what happens when the game is no longer supported?  That is not something that you really need to worry about with Starcraft, but for smaller digital services it is going to be a problem at some point.

We're talking about retail games offered digitally though, we aren't talking about smaller digital services as far as I'm concerned.

If Blizzard can do it, so can Nintendo. They are just not doing their homework by looking at how others are doing it, or they just don't care enough about our satisfaction.

What about third party games?  Didn't EA just shut down a bunch of servers for something not that long ago?

How long to you expect first parties to support the digital games?  Ten years?  Twenty?  Forever?  I will take my physical copy.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

^That's a good point, I give it to you. But as for the other arguments, they weren't as strong.