By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NSMB2, WiiU mark the birth of downloadable retail games on Nintendo consoles

Retail games

It was about time! 9 20.00%

Bound to ONE console!??? Come on! :( 4 8.89%

I buy all my stuff retail, so who cares 17 37.78%

What about buying games 2nd hand!? 1 2.22%

Make the digital games cheaper is all I care. 14 31.11%

Total:45

NSMB2, WiiU mark the birth of downloadable retail games on Nintendo consoles

It was to our great relief that Nintendo began making efforts in the realm of online offerings, bringing to life what they are calling the Nintendo Network.

After the Investors Briefing on Friday April 27th, it is now clear that the NN will support the downloading of full 3DS and WiiU games right to your consoles (SD card or EHD). We welcome it with open arms.

page 4

As I said earlier today, we announced during the latest Nintendo Direct that the completely new 2D Mario game, “New Super Mario Bros. 2,” will be launched in August this year.

With this software, we will initiate the so-called digital download sales, or the digital distribution of packaged software, in addition to the sales of packaged software through the existing distribution channels. In principle, starting from this software, the company will offer the software titles that Nintendo itself publishes in both packaged and digital download formats so that our consumers can choose the way to purchase them.

For 3DS:

The digitally downloaded software will be stored in the consumer’s SD memory card and be playable only with the hardware to which it was downloaded so that, unlike how you can share the packaged software which are stored in game card format, the consumer cannot share the software with other Nintendo 3DS systems owned by other members of the family or friends. Also, vacant space in SD memory card is needed in order to store the digital download software.

For the Wii U, we will start the digital download sales of packaged software that I just discussed, so our consumers can choose either the packaged version or the digital download version of the same software from day one of the Wii U’s launch.

In doing so, Nintendo plans on involving retailers in the process, giving them the ability to also mark up prices of digitally downloaded retail games and keeping them in the loop, all the while reaching out to smaller retailers who couldn't afford to stock games that might not sell or return on investment.

However, another thing to note is that DL'ed games 3DS games will be coupled to a console (not sure about the WiiU), not to a NN account, which is total BS if you ask me. But there you have it, DL'able 3DS and WiiU games will be made as of NSMB2 and the WiiU launch, all for your enjoyment.

But on a more positive note, this will be a way for Nintendo to get more exposure for its games and show unsure customers that the proof is in the pudding. The games will have their own fact sheets just as it is for current digital games, and shoppers will be able to decide for themselves what they want to buy. It also in a way removes the middle-man, in that if certain retailers decided to refuse to sell certain titles from Nintendo, this will be a way out for Nintendo, a way to beat retailer bias, if any existed.

With that, I leave you with good tidings.

Cheers Nintendo fans

Around the Network

The birth? What the fuck?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:

For Nintendo.

Ajescent said:

My thoughts too. The WiiU is probably going to be the first home console to have digital versions of all retail games launching the same day as their retail versions, but that's hardly a birth of any kind.

The 360 allows you to buy many of its retail games online, the PS3 has had digital versions of retail games launch the same day as at retail, and the Vita lets you buy all retail games online on their date of retail release (or close to the date at least).

So no. It's not the birth of downloadable retail games.

EDIT: Just for Nintendo then? Oh well...

Ajescent said:

Fixed, thanks.

Around the Network

Anyway, I guess this is a good thing. Especially if it is cheaper than retail. But, all I really wanted was a Nintendo Shop where I could buy my games straight from Nintendo and they would ship them off. I hate going to GameStop and partially supporting them.

I like the way Nintendo are doing it with retail involvement, which means there will be more competition. But why in the world would they bind the games to one console? It's like buying a game, but packaged inside an online pass.

Rainbird said:
I like the way Nintendo are doing it with retail involvement, which means there will be more competition. But why in the world would they bind the games to one console? It's like buying a game, but packaged inside an online pass.

Rol just explained it to you. Just like other companies Nintendo wants as much money as possible.

^It's our games, not Nintendo's.

happydolphin said:
^It's our games, not Nintendo's.

What are you talking about?