By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Article: Nintendo's Wii U Controller A Threat To iPad?

Why don't we just compare the current wii to the ipad???

Ipad is a tablet device. Wii U is not. Just because you tack a screen onto a controller does not make it a tablet. They are completely different markets with entirely different functionality.

And if you wanted to play games like colonial marines on a small portable screen at home, you could just do that with OnLive on the iPad with their game controller, instead of getting a wii u.

Around the Network

What a pointless article.

Love and tolerate.

It's not like you're going to be able to play all of these games purely on the Pad...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

This article could be significantly beefed up if he included discussion on the rumor that Wii U will run Android. Meaning it would also contain all the Android apps from the Play store.

RolStoppable said:
superchunk said:
This article could be significantly beefed up if he included discussion on the rumor that Wii U will run Android. Meaning it would also contain all the Android apps from the Play store.

The article isn't really talking about playing video games. Clearly, the underlying message is: "I should have never got married."

Ain't that the truth. Free sex isn't really free.

Around the Network

Now, take my opinion lightly, I hadn't even read the article.

No.

The title of this guy's article is horribly misleading, but what he's saying, though anecdotal, does have some merit.

Nintendo is not making a device to replace a tablet for all intents and purposes; but are instead targeting those people, similar to my girlfriend with her tablet or my mom with her DS, that leisurely play games on their tablets while the TV is on for other reasons. Being able to play a full-fledged WiiU console game in your hands with a real controller and a decent sized screen could become very alluring to many people, and the more tablet-like features that Nintendo adds (such as the Android apps, internet browsing, movie watching, etc) the more chance it has to be appealing in this way.

Nintendo's not banking on millions of people giving up their leisurely tablet use overall, but there's far more chance of WiiU having appeal in this way than there are for the millions of tablet users to care about buying controllers and playing console-type games on their tablets, IMO.

I say it's very possible because the gaming alone is superior to the iPad: no lag, better framerate and 100% console-gaming.

I agree with the author. The wiiu will satisfy my tablet needs at roughly half the price. I don't see how Apple can compete with a company launching a similar product at half the price with comparative software without being Dreamcasted.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

How many iPads were sold this previous Quarter again? Was it about 12 Million?

12 Million. 3 Months. Threat.