By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's PS All-Stars, discuss the similarities and differences, and if needed express your displeasure (No trolling allowed)

Tagged games:

So, is it a Brawl clone?

Yes 260 41.73%

No 42 6.74%

Kind of 43 6.90%

Who cares, it'll be fun either was 229 36.76%

I'm disgusted 47 7.54%

Total:621

In reality Sony does not give a rats ass who thinks it is a copy nor does any other company care unless they get sued. Now on to ignoring this game and hoping for Sony to keep pleasing their fans and announcing exclusives I prefer. Good for Sony I hope MS learns from them come E3.

Around the Network

As long as its better, and Sony please copy NSMB please.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
PullusPardus said:

It's not like smash bros did this stuff first, you guys didn't enjoy the arcades I bet, a lot of games were like this, for example a game called outfoxies (YouTube it ), I really hate Nintendo fans when they act like Nintendo created gaming and created everything first, shut the fuck already, you sound worse than those apple fanboys.

My gripe with this game is actually not the originality, it's the fact that it looks lame, super lame and uninteresting, you should have gave this type of game to SCEJ not some unknown developer who is lacking in talent, I was actually excited for pararappas character now he looks lame as well , and the gameplay is lame as well, IN MY OPINION It's mediocre like the most of SCEA's games. (I greatly prefer SCEJ and SCEE)

I don't think we've seen enough gameplay footage to judge if it's lame or not. I do dislike the health system and super-attacks but I want to see it in action before making my opinion.

Haleluiah, salvage is complete! here you go Sal!

Sal.Paradise said:

This is a good post. Indulge me

So these are the areas you feel are too similar to Smash Bros? I suppose you've got me there as I haven't played SSBBrawl enough to recognize all the intricate similarities, but..I just don't feel that changing the nature of air jumps or trying to come up specifically with animations that look different serves any purpose to the game, other than 'we're not Super Smash Bros'; they should just use what they think works best for a 2d brawler, whether it appears in another company's game or not. 

Get a copy of Brawl for cheap, try it and you'll instantly see what I mean. As for not being Smash bros, obviously I would never advocate for an artist to work with that in mind. No, just develop your own thing without being too similar to your competition.

This is the problem of only Nintendo really making these games; there are genre standards for more traditional fighting games that every developer uses, but because there are so many developers they don't get called out for specifically copying  one another, it's just a genre standard. 

I agree. But at the same time, don't you find that within that line of thinking, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are vastly different despite their genre similarities?

I'm a SF fan, but I'm not really a MK fan. But I couldn't say the same here since they could essentially be the same game!

There's only so many ways a character can grab or punch another character, and I've already seen unique and interesting moves from paRappa and Fat Princess in those videos, ones specific to their character, that I don't see the problems with the moves either. 

I can tell you that you're right. In the style of smash, there are only so many ways a character can grab. That's why every smash char has a unique way to grab. If these Sony characters were to be added to Brawl, they would fit right in

BUT (the big but), did you notice that there is a big difference between how characters grab in SF, MK, SC, Tekken and Smash? It's because they're all unique grabbing mechanics and choreography styles. You just can't say that about PABR versus Smash. They're too similar in style. Yes, between the characters everyone is unique, but between the two franchises (PABR vs Smash), they are all too similar.

The camera is limited to a 2d plane, there's not much you can do with that. 

If you compare the camera dynamics between the 3 versions of Smash, you'll see a clear difference at least between SSB and Melee. This one's kind of important.

There was a mode in Melee called Giant melee, and the camera dynamics between giant characters and normal characters were different. I was expecting that kind of difference here somewhat.

The characters all have unique attributes in terms of speed and power etc, and we've only seen a few stages so far...and they impressed me?

I wish you'd played smash, you would know exactly what I'm talking about when referring to speed. In Melee, there are a few extra modes, one of them if I remember is called lightning Melee, where the characters moved super-fast. It was lots of fun, but it affected the playstyle of the game.

I like how dynamic they are, the quizzes and world-building in the LBP/Buzz level, Hades messing things up in the GoW/Patapon level etc. I feel there are, or will be when more footage is shown, enough unique aspects of the game that you cannot find in other Smash games to justify it's existence, nevermind the angle of pure fan-service for Sony characters.

Yeah, this stuff is all cool. As for Hades though, this is much too reminiscent of the pokemon level in Brawl:

That legendary pokemon in the back there really interferes with the stage alot, much like Hades .

As I mentioned in the previous post, and this is the key point, the things that differentiate fighting games are unique characters, unique movelists, a different physical feel to the characters, unique stages, unique music, unique art etc This game has all that and possibly more.

Every character in brawl has uniqueness, unique movelists, different physical feel, unique stages, music and art. PABR components could easily fit into brawl as an expansion.

What would really distinguish two fighter games are size ratios, speeds, art direction (brush strokes, pen strokes, dusty, muddy) and those kind of things that would really make you see, oh yeah, that's a different game.

(the best online integration to be in a Smash game most likely, for example. Indulge my inner fanboy for a moment here but the potential for things like constantly updating info on your friend's records/stats/current status/stage ala the new Need for Speed or SSX would be wonderful, but that's just speculation from me ). 

I love your inner fanboy, and I have him too. Even though they are different, they understand each other.

psrock said:
As long as its better, and Sony please copy NSMB please.

Haven't you heard of LittleBigPlanet?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
d21lewis said:

Okay.

At least you take it like a man when you get owned hard.

I was going to mention that Samus blew up an entire planet, Ganon is pure evil, and Toon Link once stabbed a guy in the brain, but what's the point?  You gotta pick which battles are worth fighting.  That wasn't one of them.

Nice going, guess I'll have to get to work on my response

Hm, can't say I'm displeased by the similarities between this game and Smash Bros. I'm of the opinion that we need more copying (of good concepts). Metroidvania is a good example of obvious inspiration but it's totally acceptable because the result is pure awsomeness!

With that said, I'm really not interested in PASBR. From what I've seen there isn't enough new stuff in this game to catch my interest. I'm not too fond of how you have to "level up" to be able to smash an opponent. I find the game's current state quite bland, but that might change. The biggest problem though, is definitely my lack of connection to Sony characters. On the other hand I understand why this game is a wet dream for PlayStation fans.

bouzane said:
PullusPardus said:
It's not like smash bros did this stuff first, you guys didn't enjoy the arcades I bet, a lot of games were like this, for example a game called outfoxies (YouTube it ), I really hate Nintendo fans when they act like Nintendo created gaming and created everything first, shut the fuck already, you sound worse than those apple fanboys.

My gripe with this game is actually not the originality, it's the fact that it looks lame, super lame and uninteresting, you should have gave this type of game to scej not some unknown developer who is lacking in talent, I was actually excited for pararappas character now he looks lame as well , and the gameplay is lame as well, IN MY OPINION It's mediocre like the most of SCEA's games.

... but SCEJ is blatantly lacking in talant, especially from a technical perspective when it comes to the PS3.

SCEJ made one of the best 3D platformers to this day, ape escape

one of the best racers , GT

One of the best rhythm games pararappa / u jammer Lammy / patapon

Two of the BEST games ever made , shadow of the colossus, ICO

They created some cult classics like legend of dragoon and siren

They co created one of the best golf / tennis arcade games every bodies golf/tennis

they co created demons souls and dark cloud, also white knight chronicles and rouge galaxy

Other games they created are gravity daze, Echocrome , and other innovative stuff like eye of judgment

The reason why they don't work on ps3 all that much is because Sony are fucking idiots, they force them to make portable titles instead they save console games for the graphical generic games

Now tell me what did SCEA do? 

Uncharted, the same bloody "game" 4 times already.

God of war .... No point in mentioning how repetitive this is getting.... Woohoo new one is coming... Again

Jak and Daxter, their best game, thrown to shit because its not "mature" enough.

Co developed ratchet and clank , I bet you no longer care about this game anyway it's milked beyond belief

Co developed Resistance , lol generic shooter number 192982819

SOCOM (the crappy ones) lol do I need to explain?

Sport champions, demond quest, start the party,  the shoot and countless crappy move games

Now give me a valid point of why SCEA is better than SCEJ  even though they're the only developers allowed to work on Sonys in house resources while abandonding support for SCEJ AND SCEE (have you seen what happened to THe getaway... Yeah they didn't want to waste money on it so they shifted their resources to ,,,,,playstation move )

Wait a second.................

The only way to kill other players in the game is by using your Super Moves? Ok I was excited to play this due to the frantic fun I was planning on it having but if the only way to defeat people is builing up to do a Super move and no one takes damage other than that...............wow thats way lame.