By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 70 percent of PS3 owners passing on Vita, citing price and lack of games

[japan] I think monster hunter is the obvious answer... but yesterday Nintendo was mentioning MH as their own did you see that? It was the only third party title they mentioned in their strategy.

I don't know if that's thinking too far or not, but maybe Rol is right, maybe MH is locked!

Around the Network

Nintendo and Capcom have been tight a lot recently so prob not,and considering how nintendo published monster hunter tri and how it sold I am guessing capcom' gonna stick with nintendo especially in handhelds by the sucess of the 3ds

Here's another spin. Did someone actually expect all ps3 owners to buy a Vita a few months after launch?

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Looking to the success of Monster hunter 3rd in PSP i don't think they will not released a Monster Hunter for PSVita.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

small44 said:

Looking to the success of Monster hunter 3rd in PSP i don't think they will not released a Monster Hunter for PSVita.

Me too, but I'm starting to believe Nintendo annual loss was due to the mother of all money hats to Capcom! :D

In yesterday's meeting MH was a vital part of their strategy, mentioned alongside Mario, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros and Brain Age. It was very strange!

Around the Network
Solid-Stark said:

Here's another spin. Did someone actually expect all ps3 owners to buy a Vita a few months after launch?

No, don't be silly! They expected them to buy day one...

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:
Solid-Stark said:

No, don't be silly! They expected them to buy day one...

Lmao!

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

No surprising at all. And unless the already modest sales projections of SCE are significantly above actual sales, there won't be any price cuts in the near future.

You get exactly what you pay for currently at $250. It's more than most smartphones on the market from a hardware perspective (with a discounted price tied to a 2 year contract), but with the obvious omission of the basic service consumers buy a smartphone and a 2 year contract that can total about $2,000 between a $200 phone and a $75 a month bill: a telephone.

The PSV on the other hand, is first and foremost a gaming portable. Yes, it has a ton of other features with a lot of overlap over a smartphone, but consumers are looking a the PSV as a gaming platform first. And just like the 3DS at $250, the current library simply doesn't justify the cost to most, regardless of what you're actually getting for your $250, even if it is a hell of a lot more than you did for the 3DS at launch.

Comparisons to the 3DS aren't entirely valid as the 3DS was a lot less hardware (about $100 worth from a BoM perspective) with a worse launch line up that for all intents an purposes stayed stagnant until Nintendo started releasing proper titles from proven hardware selling IPs.

Until the PSV has it's equivalent of Mario Kart and Smash Bros, and Mario Land, etc. even if SCE dropped the base price to $199, all that would accomplish is giving consumers another $50 off the price of the hardware (already discounted or barely breaking even under SCE's current PSV BoM) without actually selling any more software.

And on a side note, $50 for 3G hardware is cheap when compared to the $129 Apple charges for the 3G modem in the iPad 2. Naturally, 3G data service on said devices is going to have a far more limited market since most users are presumably already paying for a data plan with their smartphone, but manufacturers still offer the option in non smartphone devices for a reason. Not everyone has a smartphone for starters.

The only problem with the PSV is that reason or whatever reasons SCE had really isn't evident. At all. The best I could offer is it's a decent anywhere web browser, gives you browser based e-mail access, and PSN message/trophy/Near data access. All better managed on a smartphone. The games themselves don't support any feature other than leader boards, which really don't merit a paid data plan one bit.

I don't know why people keep using the example of the PSPgo. It was a PSP, not it's own system. Sure it was digital only, but its not like it had a great planned investment or launched a next gen in gaming. I have an account on PSU, but don't frequent often...didn't know there was a survey, I own a Vita.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Solid-Stark said:

If you want to make the points that:

a) the PSV is a dead platform: SCE should exit the portable market effective yesterday because I don't like Sony.

b) the PSV needs to cost $169 now because I want one cheap and Nintendo did the same thing with their $250 portable last year.

c) I like to make unrealistic predictions under false pretense so that when those projections fail to meet my personal unrealistic expectations, I can claim what a monumental failure has been made. 

Then yes.