By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo earnings net loss 43 Billion yen, 3DS still sold at loss (until approx August '12)

RolStoppable said:
This explains why NSMB2 needs to be released so soon. Non-Japan 3DS shipments are really low, pointing at quite a lot of excess stock from the holiday season.

And this time around Nintendo's forecasts for the next fiscal year are more modest, so they may meet them again finally.

Also on the plus side, Nintendo's losses were a lot lower than Train wreck hoped for.

The 20 billion yen difference could have come from anywhere, cost cutting, weaker yen etc, it definatly didnt come from their normal business operations, Im sure you are smart enough to read the report.

Companies can easily mask income gains and losses but they cant mask revenue gains/losses and judging from a company that went from doing 1.8T  yen in yearly sales to 647B yen, im sure there are other things you can focus on than my own prediction.

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
happydolphin said:
Soundwave said:

Looks like that wasn't the greatest move, their stock is up 3% after the earnings report.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's 2% though, and it's in the japanese stock. I'm invested in the american ADR. The market is still not open, so I'm not sure what to do, and if my purchase will register before the day begins... (I'm still new at this)

Their stock was up 3% BEFORE the earnings report.  They reported after the stock market closed, you will know first reaction tonight at 7pm est.

Nope, soundwave is correct. The market has already opened in japan, and as soundwave mentioned, the japanese Nintendo stock has gone up:

@Rol, add to this the timing. Nintendo planned on making profit on HW sales in August, NSMB2 released in August. NSMB2 sells HW, Nintendo makes profit. All part of the plan.

Its incredible to think that they went from being number one in home consoles, selling more than the competition combined and making absurd amounts of money to falling into a very distant third and bleeding cash like a... like a Sony. I hope it doesn't deterr them from really going all out with the Wii U, the handheld efforts will largely not pay off in the future, I think the whole handheld market may very well be a lost cause for Nintendo (and Sony and MS for that matter).
Focus on profitable software and home consoles.

happydolphin said:
Train wreck said:
happydolphin said:
Soundwave said:

Looks like that wasn't the greatest move, their stock is up 3% after the earnings report.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's 2% though, and it's in the japanese stock. I'm invested in the american ADR. The market is still not open, so I'm not sure what to do, and if my purchase will register before the day begins... (I'm still new at this)

Their stock was up 3% BEFORE the earnings report.  They reported after the stock market closed, you will know first reaction tonight at 7pm est.

Nope, soundwave is correct. The market has already opened in japan, and as soundwave mentioned, the japanese Nintendo stock has gone up:

@Rol, add to this the timing. Nintendo planned on making profit on HW sales in August, NSMB2 released in August. NSMB2 sells HW, Nintendo makes profit. All part of the plan.

How is the market open in japan when its 8:30pm currently?  their market closed at 2am eastern /7gmt and they reported earnings after that time, it hasnt been 24 hours yet...

^Ah, I see. Ok, then. I'll wait a little more.

Around the Network

^ The US opening might be interesting, do they go by the gains during the japanese trade or do they trade off the earnings report. I think it will be the latter. We will see in 2 hours.

Train wreck said:
^ The US opening might be interesting, do they go by the gains during the japanese trade or do they trade off the earnings report. I think it will be the latter. We will see in 2 hours.

I'd expect the more advanced investors to go by the japanese trade graph and off the earnings report, since both are available @ opening time. I'm not sure I understood your question though

(jic for the less familiar: the US market (stock) is entirely independent of the Japanese one, yet the japanese one can affect investor trade of the ADR, american one)

Ah, shipped numbers, the only ones that matters!

They could do better, but this year will give them the tools to improve.

kowenicki said:

Nintendo is not the bible of sales... It has only become so here due to The Source and his massive reliance on them.

They do not track the globe, nobody does.  Shipments however do supply the globe.

The Nintendo charts are currently the only thing we have, thats solid, that could show where were undertracking the 360.

If its adjusted anywhere else, then itll be pure guesswork like we saw with PS3 a couple of Years back.

Its also not just Source. Weve adjusted due to NintyCharts before.

kowenicki said:

I know...

But it will only offer more information for the main Europe markets, we know Japan is ok, we know the US is ok. I very much doubt it will solve the conundrum, but people saying this confirms overshipping are plain wrong.  The shipping situation is very very odd. 

Dont the charts also give data for South America, or am i mistaken?