By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The XBLA Sales Thread (Fez over 250k !)

Minecraft looks like it won't have issues passing Castle Crashers soon. Congrats to them!

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
Barozi said:

Hey Barozi, really great thread and definitely something that needs to be examined closer as Digital Distribution gets bigger. 

However I thought I would warn you that it is best not to use gamasutras xbla information. It is so inaccurate as to be totally useless. I remember their 2011 analysis was truly terrible. Through simple extrapolation using offcial MS sales ranking it was easy to calculate that some of their margins of error were over 100% for some games. 

They had listed Uno as around 200k sold in 2011 but through comparing it with officially released rankings and other games leaderboards it was actually below 90k. Likewise I think they had ilomilo as about 50% overtracked and so forth. Basically the system of leaderboard numbers = sales that they use doesn't work in the slightest, and is so far off as to be useless. 

A big thing is that it's not only couch co-op that affects it but multiple gamertags on a single 360. Buying an arcade game once, but then playing it with 2 or 3 different tags on the same system = 2-3 entries on the leaderboard for one sale.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Zim said:
Barozi said:

Hey Barozi, really great thread and definitely something that needs to be examined closer as Digital Distribution gets bigger. 

However I thought I would warn you that it is best not to use gamasutras xbla information. It is so inaccurate as to be totally useless. I remember their 2011 analysis was truly terrible. Through simple extrapolation using offcial MS sales ranking it was easy to calculate that some of their margins of error were over 100% for some games. 

They had listed Uno as around 200k sold in 2011 but through comparing it with officially released rankings and other games leaderboards it was actually below 90k. Likewise I think they had ilomilo as about 50% overtracked and so forth. Basically the system of leaderboard numbers = sales that they use doesn't work in the slightest, and is so far off as to be useless. 

A big thing is that it's not only couch co-op that affects it but multiple gamertags on a single 360. Buying an arcade game once, but then playing it with 2 or 3 different tags on the same system = 2-3 entries on the leaderboard for one sale.

It's among the best what we have right now. Leaderboard numbers are the same for everyone who checks them, so it's not so much their fault.
Multiple Gamertags is definitely an issue that exists, but that just can't be estimated. Personally I'd think that the numbers of multiple Gamertags with Xbox Live access on one Xbox is rather low.
Obviously every console has tons of offline accounts, but they can't post leaderboard numbers.

Furthermore there is a rather large numbers of Silver accounts (about 40% of all Live accounts). They certainly don't need to be connected at all times, so I guess there is a larger number just buying the game on XBL and then playing it offline. No one is going to buy the WiFi adapter only to be connected with a Silver account at all times and not everyone has large and/or enough ethernet cables/free router ports.

The issue with online couch co-op is that the game encourages you to play with a friend online. If it's a good friend he already has an account and his game record will be posted on the leaderboard, if he isn't a close friend, he will probably just play as a "guest" account.

All these factors make it incredibly hard to get a good picture of the actual sales. Obviously no one here is pretending that every game here is within the 10% error margin. Still it's better than nothing and the only thing I can do is pointing out the games that are heavily influenced by certain circumstances (bundles, freebies, online couch co-op).

MonstaMack said:
Minecraft looks like it won't have issues passing Castle Crashers soon. Congrats to them!

An amazing feat if happens. CC is the king of XBLA sales

Barozi said:
Zim said:
Barozi said:

It's among the best what we have right now. Leaderboard numbers are the same for everyone who checks them, so it's not so much their fault.
Multiple Gamertags is definitely an issue that exists, but that just can't be estimated. Personally I'd think that the numbers of multiple Gamertags with Xbox Live access on one Xbox is rather low.
Obviously every console has tons of offline accounts, but they can't post leaderboard numbers.

Furthermore there is a rather large numbers of Silver accounts (about 40% of all Live accounts). They certainly don't need to be connected at all times, so I guess there is a larger number just buying the game on XBL and then playing it offline. No one is going to buy the WiFi adapter only to be connected with a Silver account at all times and not everyone has large and/or enough ethernet cables/free router ports.

The issue with online couch co-op is that the game encourages you to play with a friend online. If it's a good friend he already has an account and his game record will be posted on the leaderboard, if he isn't a close friend, he will probably just play as a "guest" account.

All these factors make it incredibly hard to get a good picture of the actual sales. Obviously no one here is pretending that every game here is within the 10% error margin. Still it's better than nothing and the only thing I can do is pointing out the games that are heavily influenced by certain circumstances (bundles, freebies, online couch co-op).

The rule of thumb that I've found for leaderboards is as follows:

• 33% of titles can generally have their sales tracked via leaderboards. Of course, you have to de-dupe giveaways and/or multiple accounts, but usually, the delta is within 10%
  • 33% of titles have very false information attached to their leaderboards. For example, a title like X-Men may have leaderboards for each individual character. Some would cite the top character as being closest to actual sales, but the reality is that its way too low. Alan Wake's Nightmare is another example (Microsoft themselves stated that actual sales were well over twice that of leaderboards)
  • 33% of titles simply have insufficent leaderboard data, that cannot be used in any form or fashion.

So the reality is that most of the time its a crap shoot, unless you really dig into what a leaderboard offers.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Hey! Does anybody have any idea, how much Orcs Must Die! has sold on xbox live? :)

Kizmi said:
Hey! Does anybody have any idea, how much Orcs Must Die! has sold on xbox live? :)

Hard to say, I think the last numbers we have is 50k from launch (October) until 31st of December 2011.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/129158/Xbox_Live_Arcade_by_the_numbers__the_2011_year_in_review.php

A bit more until today, but not enough to warrant a sequel on XBLA apparently.

Updated with Gamasutra's May report:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/172657/Xbox_Live_Arcade_sales_analysis_May_2012.php

Highlights:

- Minecraft 1.9m first month (1.1m first week)
- Fable Heroes 50k first month
- New entry: Pinball FX 2
- New entry: I am Alive

What about Crysis? Even if it's a DD only title it's not put in the XBLA category?

I would love to know the sales of Crysis on consoles.

I would have thought Torchlight had passed 500K by now. Thought it was popular.

What are the total sales for Alan Wake AN? 60K by April seems shockingly low.

Slimebeast said:

What about Crysis? Even if it's a DD only title it's not put in the XBLA category?

I would love to know the sales of Crysis on consoles.

I would have thought Torchlight had passed 500K by now. Thought it was popular.

What are the total sales for Alan Wake AN? 60K by April seems shockingly low.

Crysis has 1000G so it's a Games on Demand game and not included in XBLA.
MS hasn't released ANY sales numbers of their GoD games unfortunately.

American Nightmare is indeed pretty low, but at least MS confirmed that sales are around double the leaderboard entries. So about 140k in total at the end of June.