By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Inafune (Mega Man creator) praises Fish's for saying Japanese games suck

SaviorX said:
adriane23 said:
SaviorX said:
Skyrim was awful.

I've never seen a game so hyped yet not deliver in every way shape and form.

Have you played Oblivion?

OT: Some of the past japanese franchises that were great in past generations may suck (Resident Evil, Final Fantasy), but there are still some great franchises left (Mario, Donke Kong, Metal Gear Solid, Street Fighter, etc.) not including all the new great games coming out of the East.

I also think that the industry looks at western games with rose-tinted glasses, because the majority of the games coming out of the west are sub-par to terrible (Elder Scrolls, COD, Infamous, etc.), yet they still get praised as the best gaming has to offer.

Not for more than 10 minutes, and thats only because it glitched on me like Fallout 3 did. The idea of a first-person WRPG was never really appealing to me.

Me neither, but I fell for the hype and bought the game of the year edition. 

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
stealth20k said:
sales2099 said:
Japanese gameplay ideas are stuck in the 90's unfortunately.

And western gameplay ideas are stuck in the garbage unfortuantely.................so how generalizations are stupid?

Except thats entirely untrue. It is however a fact that Japanese developers have lost their spark since the early 2000's. 

You can name exceptions to the rule, but Western video games now set the bar for new ideas and/or commercial success. 

Now you just proved your a fool. Every time you use the word fact, it isnt...............

You want commercial success? IE sales? well the highest selling game this gen is a japanese one, so even though its silly your wrong..........

And I say western devs never had a creative spark, new ideas? dont make me laugh its a "fact"

see how moronic your statement is

If your post is sarcasm let me apologize now

stealth20k said:
Jumpin said:
stealth20k said:
DRAGON QUEST WAS NOT THE FIRST RPG ANYTHING. Lets get that straight

Ultima, dunjonquest, and others came long long before...........

Dragon Quest may not have been the first game to use experience points; but it was the first game to use experience points, while having a true RPG battle system (as opposed to a typed command based one, which is more typical of a text adventure), as well as in game character dialogue and a storyline - which are he four essential elements for the RPG genre. I don't see how the first three Ultima games could be considered to be RPGs; at best they are proto-RPGs, but are best defined merely as dungeon crawlers with some RPG elements lifted off of Pen and paper RPGs like Dungeons of Dragons.  

The first Ultima game that can be considered to be a real RPG would be the NES remake of Ultima 3, but that came out just a short time before Dragon Quest 3 was released. The NES version of Ultima 3 (which had story, in game dialogue not available in the original version) was the first non-Japanese videogame which had the basic core components that the RPG genre requires.

Also, RPGs developed in the west followed the trends which started with Dragon Quest; such as integrating character dialogue, having storylines, and using a more simplistic menu based battle system (rather than typing a bunch of crap to do stuff). Many games not considered RPGs today have more RPG elements than those pre-Dragon Quest Ultima and Wizardry games had.

How can I ague with someone who is too young to know what hes talking about............true RPG battle system's where around since the early 80's........dragon quest just added to the formula, it didnt invent it

Ultima wasnt even the first

Why would I need to argue with someone who presents no evidence to back their points, and no evidence to refute my own?

You see, I provided evidence to refute your points and support my own. You haven't provided any evidence; that's why I won the arguement, and you lost.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

http://hardcoregaming101.net/dunjonquest/dunjonquest.htm

read up

pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
selnor said:
He's right. Japanese games this gen have been pretty damn average. Resi 5, lost planet, final fantasy, devil may cry to name a few games which are pretty damn poor. Where they should have been great.

Fish is right. Oh and fez is awesome better than any Japanese game this gen.

Sorry but Japanese devs need to wake up.

Nintendo says hello? Along with Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and many more

I think most peopel would accept that the number of quality Japanese games is much kless this gen than last... Of course there are exception, but I think most sensible people would agree here.

These people arent just saying this for effect, its been a widely held and discussed belief for a few years now.  VGC is one of those places where digging at anything Japanese is almost heresy.

It's not that he was "digging at anything Japanese", it was that he basically crapped over EVERY japanese game of the last years.

I know... and thats silly.  But the standard has dropped significantly.

Yeah, his overall point made sense...but the way he said it was douchy. I'm not a big Japanese-games fella myself, but I certainly notice more notable old Japanese games than new ones.

I would even go as far and say that westerners have completely outclassed and outperformed their japanese counterparts. Besides nintendo, and to much lesser extent From Software, japanese developers have utterly and completely failed in bringing new, fresh or industry changing features to the industry and should be ashamed of themselves

Around the Network
Player1x3 said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
selnor said:
He's right. Japanese games this gen have been pretty damn average. Resi 5, lost planet, final fantasy, devil may cry to name a few games which are pretty damn poor. Where they should have been great.

I think most peopel would accept that the number of quality Japanese games is much kless this gen than last... Of course there are exception, but I think most sensible people would agree here.

These people arent just saying this for effect, its been a widely held and discussed belief for a few years now.  VGC is one of those places where digging at anything Japanese is almost heresy.

It's not that he was "digging at anything Japanese", it was that he basically crapped over EVERY japanese game of the last years.

Yeah, his overall point made sense...but the way he said it was douchy. I'm not a big Japanese-games fella myself, but I certainly notice more notable old Japanese games than new ones.

I would even go as far and say that westerners have completely outclassed and outperformed their japanese counterparts. Besides nintendo, and to much lesser extent From Software, japanese developers have utterly and completely failed in bringing new, fresh or industry changing features to the industry and should be ashamed of themselves

I think your refering to the west, not japan

If I want an original game or a different kind of game, the only place to look is japan

stealth20k said:
sales2099 said:
stealth20k said:
sales2099 said:
Japanese gameplay ideas are stuck in the 90's unfortunately.

And western gameplay ideas are stuck in the garbage unfortuantely.................so how generalizations are stupid?

Except thats entirely untrue. It is however a fact that Japanese developers have lost their spark since the early 2000's. 

You can name exceptions to the rule, but Western video games now set the bar for new ideas and/or commercial success. 

Now you just proved your a fool. Every time you use the word fact, it isnt...............

You want commercial success? IE sales? well the highest selling game this gen is a japanese one, so even though its silly your wrong..........

And I say western devs never had a creative spark, new ideas? dont make me laugh its a "fact"

lol ok. Not my problem if your stuck in the past and refuse to believe whats infront of you. 

The highest selling game this gen is COD.......I have no idea what game you must be referring to but I know youd be wrong lol. 

Unless offcourse your referring to Nintendo, which is the exception to the rule as they have an arsenel of time tested IP's. No this thread refers to the japanese 3rd party industry. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

You can keep saying I am stuck in the past, but I take that, as a deflection statement

"The highest selling game this gen is COD" look again bro..........

"Unless offcourse your referring to Nintendo, which is the exception to the rule as they have an arsenel of time tested IP's. No this thread refers to the japanese 3rd party industry."

They do not NOT count, they count, they are not the exception to the rule. Inafune brought up nintendo in a negative light, its fair game.........

Even the highest selling third party game on the ps3, is japanese.........

I hate sales, I hate bringing them up, because they dont mean anything to me as a non employee

but in 2011 7 out of the top 10 highest revenue producers were japanese, the 5 biggest growth game companies were all eastern.........

And so what if COD, is the highest selling 360 game........is that a quality indication? Not really

I am sick of this topic the guy doesnt deserve the attention even 2 weeks later

stealth20k said:
Player1x3 said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
selnor said:

I think your refering to the west, not japan

If I want an original game or a different kind of game, the only place to look is japan

Please elaborate.

if you want a game really pushing new ideas and different concepts, go to japan

Lets look at an example

A game called conception is coming to the psp this week.

On the surface, it looks like a very traditional rpg but in terms of the gameplay is something unseen in any other rpg ever