By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Dark Souls Comes to PC- with GFWL

pezus said:
I honestly thought GFWL was dead. What is the reason for this anyway, is MS paying for it?

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to PC gaming...

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network

Well, pc only gamers are about to get lucky.

TadpoleJackson said:
PullusPardus said:
Skyrim's disk version uses GFWL , and Red Faction on Steam uses GFWL , honestly I don't really mind where the game ends, if its a good game, then its a good game.

No, it doesn't. I have had skyrim since release. No gfwl. On topic: gfwl, while annoying, isn't a dealbreaker

????

pezus said:

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition will include an untold chapter in the world of Lordran where the player must stop the spread of darkness at all costs by facing and defeating the Dark Knight Artorias. 

• New Bosses – Including Artorias of Abyss, Chimera of Tomb, and more
  • PVP Online Matchmaking System – Quick matching for co-op or PVP
  • New Areas – Including Oolacile Tomb, Old Ruins and more
  • New Enemies – Including Abyss Guard, Chained Prisoner and more
  • New NPCs – Including Hawkeye Gough and more
  • New Weapons and Armor – Equip some from the new bosses, enemies, and NPCs 

isn't this the same for Demon's Souls, where if it didn't find anyone near you when you are invading they drop you in an arena-like place where you're a boss yourself

PullusPardus said:

????

Notice how it doesn't say "Live" on the box.That just means it's for windows.

See the Dark souls box 

Notice the big "Live" on the box

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
TadpoleJackson said:
PullusPardus said:
Skyrim's disk version uses GFWL , and Red Faction on Steam uses GFWL , honestly I don't really mind where the game ends, if its a good game, then its a good game.

No, it doesn't. I have had skyrim since release. No gfwl. On topic: gfwl, while annoying, isn't a dealbreaker

????

The "Game for Windows" banner is seperate from "Games for Windows LIVE" (GFWL). The important part is the LIVE bit.

The "Games for Windows" basically mean "This is a game that runs on Windows!" and is fairly pointless tbh. GFWL is a seperate system that was designed to be the PC equivalent to X-box Live. It has the advantage of sharing your account with X-box Live (if you have one) and acheivements but unfortunately is relatively poor (especially earlier incarnations) when compared to Steam. In general it's just not well supported especially compared to the X-box equivalent.

Skyrim actually uses Steam (you can't play it without) and has the great advantage of using Steam workshop to host user mods and automatically install them. All DLC will be available via Steam too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/72850/

If I don't get the new content as dlc on ps3, I'll be a very angry crab..

I love GFWL, and I will probably pick this up once I %100 Dark Souls on the XBOX

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Scoobes said:
PullusPardus said:
TadpoleJackson said:
PullusPardus said:

????

Ha, quite bloody ironic, I own this game on Steam , Boxed  and on PS3, and I only use the steam version, because i thought it uses GFWL thus my save files wont work.

Scoobes said:
PullusPardus said:
TadpoleJackson said:
PullusPardus said:

????

The "Game for Windows" banner is seperate from "Games for Windows LIVE" (GFWL). The important part is the LIVE bit.

The "Games for Windows" basically mean "This is a game that runs on Windows!" and is fairly pointless tbh. GFWL is a seperate system that was designed to be the PC equivalent to X-box Live. It has the advantage of sharing your account with X-box Live (if you have one) and acheivements but unfortunately is relatively poor (especially earlier incarnations) when compared to Steam. In general it's just not well supported especially compared to the X-box equivalent.

Skyrim actually uses Steam (you can't play it without) and has the great advantage of using Steam workshop to host user mods and automatically install them. All DLC will be available via Steam too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/72850/

It's gotten a bit better. But in general  it's not more cumbersome than Xbox Live or PSN network.

It's just on a PC this isn't the norm. I have to say, though steam is my prefered service. And it initially sucked because it was a requirement for half-life 2 (which had really limited use for online... sound familiar? :P).

Shooting down any service that isn't steam, making it sort of a monopoly I don't think is a good viewpoint(I'm not saying you in particular but a lot of PC gamers tend to have). Particularly when it's own service was initially poor, and brought on this whole idea of having software to run software etc. Having more online services... probably lowers prices as well as other things (EA's had some really good deals on origin for instance) as well as it makes each service strive to get better and not ecclipsed like say what happend with myspace to facebook.

This does in turn, does create a lot of other issues. But I'm not a fan of it must be on steam. I'm a general fan of no steam, GFWL, Origin in general. GOG and Direct2Drive (though its gamefly) doesn't require anything.