By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - It snowed in Baghdad, Iraq for first time in almost 100 years.

As for my thoughts on global warming, I believe it is happening, obviously, since the earth is getting hotter, but I also have my doubts as to whether we as a society are having a considerable effect on the overall temperature. Sure, we have our theories about what CO2 levels can do to the atmosphere, and this and that, but the fact is is that we have no conclusive proof as to what the end results of our actions are, and whether or not the consequences of our industrial endeavors are affecting the climate in any substantial way over and above what the planet is doing itself.

Like the graph above shows, the Earth was cooling down between 1940 and 1970 or so, when during that time we were in a period of serious industrial growth, manufacturing war goods for the conflicts in Europe, Korea, and Vietnam, as well as the cold war. We also underwent multiple nuclear tests during that time. It was at the end of this phase that the environmentalist craze began taking over, and we started concentrating on cutting down industrial emissions and pollutants, yet during this period the temperature of the earth began to increase at a faster rate than ever before.

Is global warming happening? Hell yes. Are we, the human race, a primary cause of this? Possibly, but from what I've seen so far, I doubt it.

Around the Network
segajon said:
Now it is not a myth and we have to act now otherwise this world will be in trouble as soon as possibly 20-30 years.

Actually all Global Warming does is further delay an Ice Age we are due for as the Earth is still in an Ice Age cycle and will remain so for the next few million years while world currents and such are as they are.

The main reason why human civilization has advanced as far as it has so far is because global warming made the Earth a good temperature for human development without having to worry about surviving as much before which is really what pushed our race to develop technology far beyond anything else, we've existed for about 4-6 milion years and yet recorded History only goes back a few thousand years starting after the last ice age ended.

Another Ice Age is currently due in about 15,000 years in which case a large amount of the Northern hemisphere will be covered in thousands of feet of glacier.

Also always keep in mind that when the dinosaurs were around and for the majority of the Earth's existance the average temperature at the north pole was 90 degrees fahrenheit.

And about it snowing in Baghdad that is pretty cool.  I'm surprised that it snowed there considering it is in one of the hotter areas of the world. 

~Ickalanda 

PC Gamer

Michael Crichton: Good fiction, bad science.

http://go.ucsusa.org/global_environment/global_warming/page.cfm?pageID=1670#1

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
Flow said:
Yeah, but it didn't brought the end of the world and neither was totally the human race fault, was it?

Neither will/is this one. Just mother nature doing her thing.
Well I'm glad to see at least that you now accept that it is happening. (At least, that's what I assume from your sentence fragment and lack of response to my above reply.)

Omg sorry for no reply, posts here come so fast...

Again, i recognize the climate is changing, always be and always will, but it's not human fault as media say, although pollution do make it a litte worse.

Now that i'm reading it, a body that "does not carry out research, nor does it monitor climate or related phenomena" says "that human actions are "very likely" the cause of global warming, meaning a 90% or greater probability." could change my opinion... but still i need a proof that climate would be static or with low variations to make me change the opinion that warming is nature made, which i don't think i'll find, but i'll do some research.

Again, sorry for no reply that time.

Well, going out now, probably won't be back for a good time. Good discussion, see you all later.

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

Ickalanda said:
segajon said:
Now it is not a myth and we have to act now otherwise this world will be in trouble as soon as possibly 20-30 years.

Actually all Global Warming does is further delay an Ice Age we are due for as the Earth is still in an Ice Age cycle and will remain so for the next few million years while world currents and such are as they are.
There are warm periods inside overall cool periods and cool periods inside those warm periods, etc.  There is no evidence to justify the belief that everything will be OK because cooling will counteract what we do that promotes warming. 
The main reason why human civilization has advanced as far as it has so far is because global warming made the Earth a good temperature for human development without having to worry about surviving as much before which is really what pushed our race to develop technology far beyond anything else, we've existed for about 4-6 milion years and yet recorded History only goes back a few thousand years starting after the last ice age ended.
Human civilization was not stymied by the presence of glaciers, although it is possible that its development was encouraged by meltwater-fueled good regional conditions at the close of the most recent glacial period. 
Another Ice Age is currently due in about 15,000 years in which case a large amount of the Northern hemisphere will be covered in thousands of feet of glacier.
I took geology classes in college that emphasized glacial periods, and climate-related classes, and while I do not recall all that I learned, I think I would remember if this was predicted. 
Also always keep in mind that when the dinosaurs were around and for the majority of the Earth's existance the average temperature at the north pole was 90 degrees fahrenheit.
I doubt that very much.  Perhaps land now near the north pole was nearer the equator then?  Or perhaps magnetic north was much further from latitudinal north.  In any case, 90 degrees at the true north pole would mean absolutely ridiculous temperatures at the true equator and I am pretty sure that such temperatures never existed. 
And about it snowing in Baghdad that is pretty cool. I'm surprised that it snowed there considering it is in one of the hotter areas of the world.
There we agree.  I understand that deserts do get quite a bit colder at night but still...
~Ickalanda

Overall, although I disagree with you on many points, you do strike me as a thoughtful individual and some of your statements did cause me to learn things I did not know and enjoyed finding out in factchecking my answers. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Around the Network
Flow said:
Final-Fan said:
Flow said:
Yeah, but it didn't brought the end of the world and neither was totally the human race fault, was it?

Neither will/is this one. Just mother nature doing her thing.
Well I'm glad to see at least that you now accept that it is happening. (At least, that's what I assume from your sentence fragment and lack of response to my above reply.)

Omg sorry for no reply, posts here come so fast...

Again, i recognize the climate is changing, always be and always will, but it's not human fault as media say, although pollution do make it a litte worse.

Now that i'm reading it, a body that "does not carry out research, nor does it monitor climate or related phenomena" says "that human actions are "very likely" the cause of global warming, meaning a 90% or greater probability." could change my opinion... but still i need a proof that climate would be static or with low variations to make me change the opinion that warming is nature made, which i don't think i'll find, but i'll do some research.

Again, sorry for no reply that time.

Well, going out now, probably won't be back for a good time. Good discussion, see you all later.

No problem, I know how it gets with this many posts going on. 

Again, I don't intend to turn this thread into a research paper but I think the huge number of renowned scientific organizations supporting one side of the "controversy" and utter lack of them on the other side pretty much dictates (to me, anyway) where the smart money is. 

If you do want to know more about the specific evidence there is a huge amount of information out there.  Wikipedia is a great place to start, but check their sources for the REAL stuff. 

I should be asleep too. 

Perhaps the best central resource for layfolk trying to understand climate science, as it pertains to anthropogenic global warming:

http://illconsidered.blogspot.com/2006/02/how-to-talk-to-global-warming-sceptic.html

Posted for those of you who would actually like to know more. Sadly, the blog has moved and the writer doesn't seem to be updating this guide anymore, so the info is slightly dated.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

The world is officially screwed up. It snows in freaking Baghdad and rains here in Finland. Wow. And for some people who think global warming is a myth, it ain't. The snowing in Baghdad was just an exception.

so how warm was the Earth 1000 years ago? Oh we do not know because we do not have any measurements from that time. Just because the temp is rising now does not mean anything as for all we know the temp 1000 years ago could have been hotter than it is today. A small collection of data of 100 years proves nothing, neither can it. The rising and falling of temps on Earth is natural and has nothing to do with anything other than the Earth, and there is no one or no thing that can prove otherwise. Still waiting for some scientific fact here, keep trying because there are none, only theories and speculation

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

segajon said:
NJ5 said:

It's also funny that people try to use an event like this to deny global warming. Do you guys actually think that global warming will just cause the climate to get hotter everywhere?

As far as I've heard, that's not the case, there could be lots of places where the result of global warming could actually be abnormal cooling, due to changes in ocean currents and such. There goes your attempt to disprove global warming using this story.

Yo I didn't start the thread saying this event concludes that Global Warming is a hoax, all I said was I thought it was Interesting that it snowed there when it rarely does, esspecially after the hot summer they had.D

I know it's not your fault, I was talking about the people who derailed the thread and tried to use this event to "disprove" global warming.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957