By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Am I the only one worried about the future of Wii U?

Yes.

I have owned every Nintendo console released and I have absolutely zero interest in the WiiU.

I don't want another console collecting dust in 2 years.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Around the Network

I like to wait until E3 before I say it's doomed. Right now, we really don't know what Nintendo has up its sleeve. In the meantime, just chill, bro. Have some of my nachos.

sensebringer said:

1) I have the impression that the PS3 and the 360 are not doing wonderfully in the sales deparment right now. I think they are having decent sells.

2) Lets wait for the E3 to know who Nintendo is going after with the Wii U.  If they  learned something from the 3DS launch is that the only way for them to be succesful is to try to expand the DS and Wii market. Going after the "Harcore" crowd  would be a mistake.

3) $300 is just $50 more than the Wii launch price. If we use your logic then the PS3 should not have cost more than $200 at launch. Why buy the PS3 if the PS2 is a lot more cheaper and has big library of cheap and good games? to play new games maybe?

4) The power means next to nothing for a console to do well. If the power was that important the PS1, PS2, Wii and DS would have been last in their respective generations. If the power is was that important the PSV would be outselling the 3DS by a long margin. The games and an affordable price are the key to have a succesful console.

5) There is a problem with that logic. I am going to be able to play Mario Bros,3D Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Smash brothers, Mario Kart and all the Nintendo games on those systems? all those games that you listed I am sure they will be great games, but the power of Ninendo franchises can be denied.

6) The casual gamers did not left the Wii for facebook and to play on tablets. Nintendo stopped making the games that they wanted to play on the Wii. If Nintendo had launched New Super Mario Bros 2, Wii Sports 3, Donkey Kong Country return 2 a 2D New Legend of Zelda and a New Super Metroid the Wii would still be selling like hotcakes.

1. Well nintendo isnt doing that great either, Wii is basically dead now, and the 3DS is just barely meeting its expectations, but ont the software side things arent looking so great (comparing them with the DS software sales). Nintendos YOY sales are reall down and less than 360 or PS3. We have to consider that the 360 is 7 years old and its still doing great nowdays.

2.Nintendo themselves said they are trying to get the hardcore gamers back, that says that a lot of their development time is going to the making of their core franchises. Nintendo 3DS is a good example of this, they totally forgot about their Touchgenerations games and opted for more core games. The biggest problem with this aproach is that Touchgenerations games were really cheap and easy to develop and their sold a ton, now that that market is gone (iOS) they can only make more expensive core games. Nintendo Wii U being their first HD console its gonna be a problem for them, because they dont have a 100% HD development team, and they are going to take a while in mastering how to do this kinds of games.

3.Yes, but do you think Wii U is going to receive that much games at launch? or in its 1st year? 3rd party developers had a bad experience developing Wii games and we have the future consoles dev kits floating around (rumour), so why are they going to spend resources in releasing exclusives for this console, when they can just port EVERYTHING from 360 or PS3 for 1 or 2 years, an then start to release games for the consoles with more power.

4. I am happy with a Wii U with the power of the Zelda demo, but a lot of the potential launch buyers (core gamers) are not, nor the 3rd party developers or investors.

5. For 3D mario, Zelda HD, and Smash Brothers we are talking about a wait of 3 or 4 years (so... 2015-2014... even 2016), some people will prefer to wait a little bit for buying this console.

6. Wii, for a lot of casual players was just the cool toy for the moment, and now thats either kinect or iPad, i just dont think nintendo can replicate that kind of succes.

When I first saw the Wii. I was mesmerized by the motion control and the freshness. When I saw the Mario Kart commercials, the online looked really innovative and fun, with the globe and the Miis. I like playing bowling and golf, and I'm a big fan of tennis, so Wii sports intrigued me. I liked Jedi Outcast on the Gamecube, so I imagined how awesome a star wars game on the new console could be. I had fun with time splitters, so I guessed I could get at least one decent FPS on it since it was selling so well. I imagined a motion controlled Zelda.
Basically, when the Wii was new, I really felt that I needed that thing. It looked awesome.

And here we are, a few years later. I had to wait for ages to get some decent multiplayer FPS games. Nintendo didn't do anything with the Online, third parties made their own Mii system for their games, which was annoying. The first Zelda only got the atmosphere and aesthetics right, but emptied the overworld and downgraded the item usage and optional cool secrets OoT had, and was a worse game for it. (Control was neither improved nor worse than other games). The second Zelda controls like a dream, and looks interresting, but is regressive and bloated in every other way.

Mario Galaxy games wasn't as free and fun as Mario 64. No good Star Wars game came. Sakamoto destroyed the Metroid series. Brawl ruined by random tripping. Many awesome 2D platformers came out for the system though, which saved it for me, but overall, it didn't deliver what I wanted, and imagined from it.

Wii was better than GC, but on the whole, a dissapointment. And now when I saw the WiiU reveal, I wasn't mesmerized by the awesome promise of a motion future, all I thought was "A tablet? WTF?"

So yes, I'm worried about the Wii U. If more people feel like me, it is in trouble. People are NOT gonna go "cool a tablet" just like they went "cool motion control", because motion controll was actually a pretty cool concept, but what could a tablet possibly add for regular people?.

I LOVE ICELAND!

d21lewis said:
I like to wait until E3 before I say it's doomed. Right now, we really don't know what Nintendo has up its sleeve. In the meantime, just chill, bro. Have some of my nachos.

cool, nachos :D

Around the Network
davidd_err18 said:
d21lewis said:

cool, nachos :D

Now I know what I'm having for dinner.

Not really, priced from 300-350 will be excellent. Multiplats wont sell the console but rather the first party so i expect 2 nice Ninty exclusives for it to do good the multiplats will be a bonus for those who purchase it. Also i dont think that gamers stick exclusively to one console so i can still see them purchasing another one if its games and features justify an affordable price. Also add that next gen is not looking to be a big gap in graphics so that would make things better for Nintendo. Of course there's still bad/good surprises left, lets see what the others do too.
Also judging by their demos of last E3 they wont forget the casual market.

i wouldn't say worried...

KungKras said:
When I first saw the Wii. I was mesmerized by the motion control and the freshness. When I saw the Mario Kart commercials, the online looked really innovative and fun, with the globe and the Miis. I like playing bowling and golf, and I'm a big fan of tennis, so Wii sports intrigued me. I liked Jedi Outcast on the Gamecube, so I imagined how awesome a star wars game on the new console could be. I had fun with time splitters, so I guessed I could get at least one decent FPS on it since it was selling so well. I imagined a motion controlled Zelda.
Basically, when the Wii was new, I really felt that I needed that thing. It looked awesome.

And here we are, a few years later. I had to wait for ages to get some decent multiplayer FPS games. Nintendo didn't do anything with the Online, thirs parties made their own Mii system for their games, which was annoying. The first Zelda only got the atmosphere and aesthetics right, but emptied the overworld and downgraded the item usage and optional cool secrets OoT had, and was a worse game for it control was neither improved nor worse than other games. The second Zelda controls like a dream, and looks interresting, but is regressive and bloated in every other way. Mario Galaxy games wasn't as free and fun as Mario 64. No good Star Wars game came. Sakamoto destroyed the Metroid series. Brawl ruined by random tripping. Many awesome 2D platformers came out for the system though, which saved it for me, but overall, it didn't deliver what I wanted, and imagined from it.

Wii was better than GC, but on the whole, a dissapointment. And now when I saw the WiiU reveal, I wasn't mesmerized by the awesome promise of a motion future, all I thought was "A tablet? WTF?"

So yes, I'm worried about the Wii U. If more people feel like me, it is in trouble. People are NOT gonna go "cool a tablet" just like they went "cool motion control", because motion controll was actually a pretty cool concept, but what could a tablet possibly add for regular people?.

Just what I wanted to say about allowing people to imagine new ways of playing but in much better words. Good post!

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

I don`t think there is a reason to worry about Wii U.

Xbox 360 and PS3 may have sold very well last year, but they had a great in important software and i don`t see that happening this year. I`m not talking about good or great games, i`m talking about the ones that sell the machine.
Let`s not forget that November/December both companies, specially MS, had great promotions in the states. For example, i remember seeing Kinect for 100$ and that was a great push for Xbox360. Will that happen this year? Can it have the same effect?
Thing is, despite that, both are seeing less sales than last year and normally means that, after so many years on the market, the same market is shrinking. And a price drop might not be as effective as it was before.

And speaking of prices, for the first time - if memory doesn`t fail me - it`s the first time a new generation arrives and the old generation is still highly priced. To me, this only eases the transition to future new console owners. It`s one thing to compare a 99$ console to a 300/400$ console, and another is to compare a 149/249, etc.$ consoles to a 300/350 console.

The hardcore belongs to no one. It belonged to Nintendo, then, Nintendo and Sega, then, Sony and now MS and Sony. The hardcore goes where it feels at home. If Nintendo can provide that to them, they will come, sooner or later.

In terms of power, no one knows for sure, although most rumors point out to a better machine, i hope that it is only, as said, 2x better.
I don`t prices to go up again and pay 70/80 dollars/euro for games, pay more for DLC, pay more for internet use.
Big budget games that everyone loves seem to need millions in retail just to break even. If this gets worse i´m afraid it won`t be sustainable to developers, to hardcore gamers and the market in general that might even shrink because of a pricier market.

The best thing Nintendo could have ever done to get the casual/tablet/smartphone users was to turn it`s controller into a tablet. The first thing a gamer, like one of those above, will see, is something everyone is familiar with: a tablet.
There`s no better way to attract a customer than to use something that they are already in touch with.
And, like with hardcore gamers, casual gamers go where they feel at home. Nintendo has Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros to convince them to come back. Not to mention special games made with the tablet in mind!