By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony sees record $6.4 billion net loss, to take tax hit

Zuhyc said:
But the profits on blu-ray! THey will be so huge they are worth sacrificing PS3 sales!

Not going to lie, I laughed. 

Around the Network
VicViper said:

With Sony, I agree, it's incredible how the mighty have fallen. Everything was Sony. Now I give you 100 bucks if you manage to find someone holding a Sony tablet within 1 hour. Make it 10 hours!

My friend almost bought a Sony Tablet! He was looking at Tablets and seriously considering getting the Sony one just last week. I ended up selling him my gf's "old" iPad 2 (and showing him how to use it) and he couldn't be happier with it. I guess I cost Sony a tablet sale.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

smbu2000 said:
VicViper said:

With Sony, I agree, it's incredible how the mighty have fallen. Everything was Sony. Now I give you 100 bucks if you manage to find someone holding a Sony tablet within 1 hour. Make it 10 hours!

My friend almost bought a Sony Tablet! He was looking at Tablets and seriously considering getting the Sony one just last week. I ended up selling him my gf's "old" iPad 2 (and showing him how to use it) and he couldn't be happier with it. I guess I cost Sony a tablet sale.

People like you are the reason Sony is doing this bad!!! :P

Lol, but I can believe you, unless you say this is the tablet your friend wanted to buy:

Does this even exist in real life? I mean, I never even seen it in stores, let alone at someone's hands.

kowenicki said:

Wall St Journal:

The game plan under new Chief Executive Officer Kazuo Hirai is familiar. It has become a rite of passage for new CEOs to announce a slew of bad news soon after being appointed. That way, the previous incumbent gets the blame.

The drip-drip of disappointment from Sony, though, doesn't reflect well on management. The latest dire profit forecast comes just over two months after the previous estimate stunned the market. That forecast, announced in February, more than doubled an earlier loss estimate announced just three months before.

Something odd there... how can they have got it so massively wrong twice in less than 6 months?  What the hell are they doing?  They do this and then expect people to believe they will revert to a $2.2bn profit next year? 

how dare you to doubt Kaz... he has a plan to be announced in a few days! Sony is in great hands!

@VicViper: I've seen Tablet S in BestBuy.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Argh_College said:
i´ve said this for years... Sony and Playstation brand wll be dead in no time. If you've said it for years, then it didn't died in no time.

Vita doesnt sell, its dead, Ps3 is selling well but when holidays come and Xbox drops Price and Wii u come out it will be 3rd or 4th once AGAIN! Vita doesn't sell. That's a given, but it 'sn't dead. It hasn't been a lot of time in the market. PS3 is making profit. It's been selling great for the last years. And what if it becomes 3rd or 4th??? That doesn't mean it's losing money (by that standard we'd say 360 is a failure)

Sony doesnt know what they are doing, they are a dumb company behind a big name. Dumb company behind a big name? They created that big name, so they aren't dumb. Sony problems are much more than just being a dumb company.

This is just dumb. 

Around the Network
logic56 said:
lol at all these armchair analyst, Sony has 155 billion in total assets and a yearly revenue of 86 billion, they're aren't going anywhere any time soon, they just spend to much because of being to bloated, and with almost no communication between the divisions only adds to the problem. They problem was a lack of focus with too many arms spread all over the place, as soon as Kaz gets a handle on the TV business and get all their core divisions to communicate with each other they'll be back in the black in no time at all.

So your point is if you have assets and a revenue your alright? Maybe you need to look into companies that went bankrupt that were far bigger then Sony such as WaMu? They had over $300BN in assets and revenue of over $100BN but they went down. As did others like Enron.

What grates me more then anything is responses like this. The company has to be alright simply because it is ......... <----- enter your fav company here

Sony as a whole will not die but to quote Masaru Kato(Sony chief financial officer) "The situation is critical and we will carry out drastic reform. Nothing is sacred," Sony are going to have to appease the people they owe money to because if they don't they could pull the plug which has happened to thousands of companies and simply because it is .......<----- enter your fav company here. Doesn't mean it won't happen to them.

kowenicki said:
Hyruken said:
logic56 said:
lol at all these armchair analyst, Sony has 155 billion in total assets and a yearly revenue of 86 billion, they're aren't going anywhere any time soon, they just spend to much because of being to bloated, and with almost no communication between the divisions only adds to the problem. They problem was a lack of focus with too many arms spread all over the place, as soon as Kaz gets a handle on the TV business and get all their core divisions to communicate with each other they'll be back in the black in no time at all.

So your point is if you have assets and a revenue your alright? Maybe you need to look into companies that went bankrupt that were far bigger then Sony such as WaMu? They had over $300BN in assets and revenue of over $100BN but they went down. As did others like Enron.

What grates me more then anything is responses like this. The company has to be alright simply because it is ......... <----- enter your fav company here

Sony as a whole will not die but to quote Masaru Kato(Sony chief financial officer) "The situation is critical and we will carry out drastic reform. Nothing is sacred," Sony are going to have to appease the people they owe money to because if they don't they could pull the plug which has happened to thousands of companies and simply because it is .......<----- enter your fav company here. Doesn't mean it won't happen to them.

Couldnt have put it better.

and "Nothing is sacred" is a big statement

I will watch the kaz statement on Thursday with interest given he predicts a V shaped bounce back to $2.2bn by this time next year?  Something has tio give for that and it isnt going to be TV's.  Maybe sell off of some music and movie assets first?

They must sell something in order to get there. The question is: what will they sell? It can't be Mobile phones, since they just spent 1.5 billion USD to get it all. It can't be TV business, because they just announced the joint venture with sharp for LCD panels. So we have Gaming, Music, Movies, financial services left.

I don't know, maybe he just comes up with such unrealistic expectations that all of us will lol.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Hyruken said:
logic56 said:

I'll just say this. I am not familiar with the wamu case but I can assure you Enron downfall is not even comparable to Sonys situation. Not even close. Bad example to use there

OT: really sucks big time. No one wonder such big job cuts happened and so much re-structuring is going on. Hope Kaz will be able to bring the company into profit soon

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

They are expecting a swing of 8.2 billion dollars for a 1.8 billion Profit next FY. They really are putting all their faith in Kaz to fix everything.

legend92(3) said:
They are expecting a swing of 8.2 billion dollars for a 1.8 billion Profit next FY. They really are putting all their faith in Kaz to fix everything.

B_E_L_I_E_V_E