By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Convince an Android fan, to use a WP7 more

enrageorange said:

I don't know about you guys but I am having a very very bad experience with android on my droid 3.

Android OS constantly crashing causing the screen to just go black.

All apps, from youtube to a finance app, constantly crashing which freezes the phone because forceclose works 10% of the time, forcing me to remove the battery and restart the phone.

When phone is off it takes around 5-10 minutes for it to boot up and considering I need to reset it around 3 times a day, that becomes a big pain. Sometimes it gets stuck in the bootup splash screen forever and I need to remove battery.

Phone randomly reboots  just for the fun of it. Battery occasionally completely discharges.

Headphone jack works half the time. Playing songs through either headphones or the built in droid speaker causes a lot of skipping, sounds kind of like playing a cd that has lots of scratches. The same mp3 files play fine on my laptop, zune, and itouch.

My music playlists get deleted whenever I charge my phone using my laptop.

If I want to play any game, I need to reboot it first because if its been on for over an hour it will lag like crazy even playing something simple like scramble with friends, despite the droid 3 having very good specs.

Phone gets very hot doing anything but idleing.

With minimum brightness, wifi and navigation off, battery lasts around 3 hours of none idle time(browsing web, texting, finance app) or 2 hours playing games or watching videos. Lasts a long time on idle though.

Verizon assured me that is the way the phone is suppose to act after trying to return it thinking it's possibly defective.

This is my first smartphone, but come upgrade time I'm probably not going to get an android phone again. Its too bad apple and microsoft don't make phones with physical keyboards. That's the one thing I like about my droid 3. It's much easier to type things and emulators and roms control much better with the keyboard than touch controls.

My Droid 3 is the best phone I've ever had, bar none. It also doesn't suffer ANY of the problems you just detailed (well, except occasionally restarting, but that's nbd because it's usually back to operation in a minute). My battery usually lasts me 14 hours in normal usage, with usually an hour and a half of that time being watching videos and the rest of that time filled with texting and the lot. If I don't use it heavily, I've had it last me more than two days.

You need to contact Verizon and tell them to send you a replacement. You're still under warranty, so as long as your problem isn't your fault, you can get it replaced for free.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
ethomaz said:

I tried a Lumia 900 today and the phone impresses... the look and UI is better than any Android I have tried... even the iOS UI seems outdated now (and I love the iPhone UI).

I got an urge to leave my Nokia N8 (Symbian^3) to buy that Limia but it's impossible to live without the N8 12MP camera plus XENON flash.

Anyone here knows a phone with the camera like the N8 have?

Xperia S i heard has the best camera on the market, but its Android

The N8 camera is better than Xperia S... the Xperia S have better hardware (CPU, Memory, etc) but the N8's Carl Zeiss Camera Optics with 12 Megapix and Xenon flash is the best out in the market today... the difference is even greater in night shots.

Sometimes I want to change the OS but the lack of options with cameras keep me still with the N8@Symbian.

ethomaz said:
PullusPardus said:
ethomaz said:

I tried a Lumia 900 today and the phone impresses... the look and UI is better than any Android I have tried... even the iOS UI seems outdated now (and I love the iPhone UI).

I got an urge to leave my Nokia N8 (Symbian^3) to buy that Limia but it's impossible to live without the N8 12MP camera plus XENON flash.

Anyone here knows a phone with the camera like the N8 have?

Xperia S i heard has the best camera on the market, but its Android

The N8 camera is better than Xperia S... the Xperia S have better hardware (CPU, Memory, etc) but the N8's Carl Zeiss Camera Optics with 12 Megapix and Xenon flash is the best out in the market today... the difference is even greater in night shots.

Sometimes I want to change the OS but the lack of options with cameras keep me still with the N8@Symbian.

nice to know then.

well the only thing to do is buy a real camera.

PullusPardus said:
nice to know then.

I have a real and great camera but for parties, clubs and pubs I prefer a cellphone with a great camera (I drink a lot)... well the cellphone is always with me, the real camera not .

ethomaz said:
PullusPardus said:
nice to know then.

I have a real and great camera but for parties, clubs and pubs I prefer a cellphone with a great camera (I drink a lot)... well the cellphone is always with me, the real camera not .

Did you think the video was good? The audio is amazing, isn't it? ^_^

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
PullusPardus said:
nice to know then.

Lots of phones have come close to the N8 and outmatched it in some cases. Xenon remains an advantage though. However, Symbian^3 sucks, and with the photo editing apps in iOS, Android, Windows,  you can do a lot more than taking photos.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/17/camera-showdown-iphone-4s-vs-iphone-4-galaxy-s-ii-nokia-n8-a/

Hmmmm

I actually don't mind IOS. Its ok. Bit cumbersome after using WP7 but its stable.

Android phones are horribly hit and miss, and their marketplace is a shocker.

I really want to like my wifes really well specced HTC sensation S. But it just has so many OS issues.

It takes photos on its own, it gets seriously hot. It needs booting 3 times a day. It freezes all the time. The OS regularly uses 620mb of the 756mb ram available. It needs a Virus protection software to safely use the unvetted Android marketplace.

To be quite honest Android was a great idea, but I for the life of me after 2 months of having the phone for my wife wonder how the mess of an OS got through te door in its unvetted state.

When she first got the phone it was very fast, and very smooth. After 2months and barely downloading any apps the phone grinded to a halt. Thought it may be the phone, but on the 3rd phone and Phones4U tell us to be honest it happens to a lot of Android OS phones. So now she is stuck in a contract for another 12 months with a phone that's OS on the admission of the well known UK shop we bought it from is not friendly to any hardware.

Its a shame. On the face of it Android is good. But after 6 months with less hardware my WP7 beats her phone at everything. Its faster all round.

And I haven't booted my phone for 72 days. Yes 72 days.

Samsung Omnia 7 running 7.5 Mango and Boot time taken from the System View App

PullusPardus said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:

It's over, Pallus!

That commercial can't be any more ironic since Its actually Windows Phone 7.5  

the new version is coming a couple of months later.

A beta test within a beta test *mind blown*

OT: I'd stick with ios and android personally. Galaxy Nexus would be good way to go if you go android way or if your budget is bigger than wait for the galaxy s3 (phone is going to be beast). Also iphone 5 or is it 6 later this year (waiting for this). 

selnor said:
Hmmmm

I actually don't mind IOS. Its ok. Bit cumbersome after using WP7 but its stable.

I really want to like my wifes really well specced HTC sensation S. But it just has so many OS issues.

It takes photos on its own, it gets seriously hot. It needs booting 3 times a day. It freezes all the time. The OS regularly uses 620mb of the 756mb ram available. It needs a Virus protection software to safely use the unvetted Android marketplace.

To be quite honest Android was a great idea, but I for the life of me after 2 months of having the phone for my wife wonder how the mess of an OS got through te door in its unvetted state.

When she first got the phone it was very fast, and very smooth. After 2months and barely downloading any apps the phone grinded to a halt. Thought it may be the phone, but on the 3rd phone and Phones4U tell us to be honest it happens to a lot of Android OS phones. So now she is stuck in a contract for another 12 months with a phone that's OS on the admission of the well known UK shop we bought it from is not friendly to any hardware.

Its a shame. On the face of it Android is good. But after 6 months with less hardware my WP7 beats her phone at everything. Its faster all round.

Sensation is a very poor phone, to be honest almost every HTC phone i tried is crappy , not one that actually was a good experience.

PullusPardus said:
selnor said:
Hmmmm

Sensation is a very poor phone, to be honest almost every HTC phone i tried is crappy , not one that actually was a good experience.

?????????????

It won POTY in several publications in UK last year.

Most consider only the Galaxy S2 to be better.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/reviews/smartphones/2011/06/01/htc-sensation-40092946/

However many are finding the phone prone to grinding to a halt. Even with a Dual core processor. My 1gz snapdragon outperforms it. And my phone has 256 mb less ram.

Specs mean nothing when Android is concerned. My friends Galaxy S2 is already slowing down. Im regularly already finding stuff quicker on searches out and about than him now.

it was much faster when he first got it.