By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Convince an Android fan, to use a WP7 more

disolitude said:

Regarding Nexus S update - http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-s-ics-update-reportedly-restarting-few-weeks

Like I said initial update was unstable and was pulled. AT&T and Sprint got the update few weeks ago only. I don't know what you side loaded on to your Verizon Nexus S but official update is nowhere in sight. This is 5 months after release of ICS. Not sure I'd call that timely... Google really needs to step up and lead by example here. There should have been an ICS update ready for all Nexus phones in 2 weeks after ICS release.

As far as hardware, I said that Android has the best hardware so there is no disagreement there.

And finally about personalization...Android sure has a lot of customization and personalization available, but you most likely don't realize (and majority of the populationas well)  how personal WP7 device becomes after you use it for a while and how effortlessly it does it. All of the tiles are related to you in some way and diplay information and images that aren't just cosmetic. So much so that iOS looks dead and boring to me when I use it.

In any case, I am not saying Android doesn't have great qualities. The 23 year old in me would get an Android device for sure. But at this day and age I can't see its appeal as it seems more work than its worth.

There is no such thing as a "Nexus S on Verizon". Verizon has only had one Nexus device and that's the latest model, the Galaxy Nexus. It came with ICS.

You're confusing that with Sprints Nexus S 4G, which is also a CDMA device and was the only Nexus S variant to not get ICS due to its CDMA radio.  However, that just got ICS from Google a few days ago. Additionally, the other Nexus S devices (GSM models) did have an initial issue with ICS, but that was fixed awhile ago.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/10/nexus-s-4g-ics-factory-images-released-by-google-hope-for-the-lte-galaxy-nexus-still/

For Nexus, the only difference is if its GSM (nearly the whole world) or CDMA (only a few companies). Google recently said they won't be handling the direct delivery of non-GSM devices upgrades. Instead they will deliver the finished upgrades to the carriers to finalize the CDMA testing. For instance, my GNex (CDMA) is on version 4.0.2 while the GSM versions are one release newer with 4.0.4. However, Verizon's upgrade was leaked into the development websites a few weeks ago for soak testing. Meaning it was pretty much done the same time as Google released the others, but they wanted to test it further for radio debugging before releasing to customers. Fact is, all Nexus devices will still get the latest updates FAR faster than any others.

I still think you're over thinking my comments on reviewing settings and such. I prefer that Android shows me the permissions so I know exactly what they will do. Basically, I have confirmation pretty much upfront that they are not malware. Whereas the other two, only know after the fact when its installed on millions of devices. (has happened multiple times with iOS)

Then when it comes to settings, I still prefer the choice of how I want it to be set vs what Apple or MS thinks I should get. Sure tiles may morph into live intersting settings, but my single notification bar based on each apps settings and user selected widgets trumps that any day of the week. If that means I spend an extra minute after installing a new app to look at its settings... good with me. I get a better personal experience that way.

Also, my Gnex is not rooted. I can't sideload any roms, otherwise I'd already have 4.0.4.

Around the Network
superchunk said:

I love the negative common statements regarding Android and how in almost every case the issues are due to users and their choice of apps.

Battery life and speediness (or lack there of) for Android will 98% of the time be traced right back to the apps you have on your phone.

1) NEVER install task killer apps. They don't need to exist on a Linux based system. All they do is prevent phone sleeping and simply add another constant task running in the background.

Instead look at the apps you have chosen to install and especially look at their settings for notifications. Do you really need to be notified every 5mins that your words with friends game is ready? Leave crap like that turned off and just run the app when you are ready to actually look at it. Only notifications you should really need/have are for messaging and emails.

2) Anti-virus programs are also useless. Don't give me that crap about the open market causing issues and so much mal-ware. For fuck's sake read what the app does and the permissions YOU ARE AGREEING TO. A widget that is supposed to toggle 3g/4g should not need SMS and address book access. A dynamic wall paper app does not need network access, etc. Also, quit trying to rip people off. Stick to Android Play store or Amazon Market, i.e. legitimate sources.

3) I can't stress how much you really need to look at your new apps settings. Especially sync and notification intervals. This stuff causes you to use data, keeps phone from sleeping, and gravely affects battery life as well as CPU since all these services will be running in the background. Android has the best notification system there is, reason why Apple copied it. So app makers utilize it freely. But, you have control over all of it, thanks to Android, so use that control to really only have things you want running.... running.

4) Yes, upgrades take time and that is especially more complicated due to OEMs various UI tweaks over vanilla Android. Guess what? There's an easy fix for that. BUY A DAMN NEXUS PHONE! Not only are these typically the best or nearly best hardware out anyways, but they get upgrades in timely manner. (especially if its a GSM based Nexus) If we all start doing that in mass, guess what will happen? OEMs will quite making their stupid tweaks and instead focus on packaged apps. A win-win for everyone.

5) The Display high % in battery is not a bug. Its a freaking large ass display that clearly is eating up the juice. It is the primary culprit and the main reason iOS is better at battery than Android. Take an Android with a 3" screen and is battery life is very similar. Sure you are doing something while the screen is on, but the Draw Something app is not a cpu killer. However the large white backed canvas that the screen is displaying is. Thus the display is always the biggest killer. That leads me to another simple option... utilize the auto brightness feature. Don't force it to be always its brightest. Its easy to have a nice widget on your home screen that allows you to easily change brightness. So there is no reason to force it to max all the time.

6) The Play store is fine. Its easy to navigate and best of all you can even shop and add stuff to your phone from ANY computer while the phone is just in your pocket. It does have a two list options for your apps. The first and default is ONLY the apps installed on your phone and that list is alphabetical. The second is a full list of any app you've used. That second app comes in handy if you delete an app and want it back. However, I am also perplexed as to why its not alphabetically ordered.

I'd like to close this with... if you're having issues with your Android phone there are really only two possibilities.
1) Its actually defective and you need to get it replaced.
2) Its an app or a set of apps causing your issues. Check the settings for new apps and simply delete the crap like soundboards, live wallpapers, task killers, anti-virus, etc. If you try out a few different apps, uninstall the losers.

Android's flexibility and extreme personalization is its best feature and for those who are lazy or don't time to read what they are doing, its also its greatest defect.

Also, show me any WP tile and I can show you a widget that blows it away in every way.

as much as i love linux and the open world... in its current stage android is a fragmented pile of crap.... it's my little favorite and i have hopes for it in the future.... but any serious geek will admit it..... it is a really messy eco system right now.... to me WP7 is a better system under the hood..... especially if we are talking about a professional phone decision..... today I would never recomand to any corporation to go with an android park for either their phone or their computers.... and neither apple for that matter...

superchunk said:

I love the negative common statements regarding Android and how in almost every case the issues are due to users and their choice of apps.

Battery life and speediness (or lack there of) for Android will 98% of the time be traced right back to the apps you have on your phone.

1) NEVER install task killer apps. They don't need to exist on a Linux based system. All they do is prevent phone sleeping and simply add another constant task running in the background.

Instead look at the apps you have chosen to install and especially look at their settings for notifications. Do you really need to be notified every 5mins that your words with friends game is ready? Leave crap like that turned off and just run the app when you are ready to actually look at it. Only notifications you should really need/have are for messaging and emails.

2) Anti-virus programs are also useless. Don't give me that crap about the open market causing issues and so much mal-ware. For fuck's sake read what the app does and the permissions YOU ARE AGREEING TO. A widget that is supposed to toggle 3g/4g should not need SMS and address book access. A dynamic wall paper app does not need network access, etc. Also, quit trying to rip people off. Stick to Android Play store or Amazon Market, i.e. legitimate sources.

3) I can't stress how much you really need to look at your new apps settings. Especially sync and notification intervals. This stuff causes you to use data, keeps phone from sleeping, and gravely affects battery life as well as CPU since all these services will be running in the background. Android has the best notification system there is, reason why Apple copied it. So app makers utilize it freely. But, you have control over all of it, thanks to Android, so use that control to really only have things you want running.... running.

4) Yes, upgrades take time and that is especially more complicated due to OEMs various UI tweaks over vanilla Android. Guess what? There's an easy fix for that. BUY A DAMN NEXUS PHONE! Not only are these typically the best or nearly best hardware out anyways, but they get upgrades in timely manner. (especially if its a GSM based Nexus) If we all start doing that in mass, guess what will happen? OEMs will quite making their stupid tweaks and instead focus on packaged apps. A win-win for everyone.

5) The Display high % in battery is not a bug. Its a freaking large ass display that clearly is eating up the juice. It is the primary culprit and the main reason iOS is better at battery than Android. Take an Android with a 3" screen and is battery life is very similar. Sure you are doing something while the screen is on, but the Draw Something app is not a cpu killer. However the large white backed canvas that the screen is displaying is. Thus the display is always the biggest killer. That leads me to another simple option... utilize the auto brightness feature. Don't force it to be always its brightest. Its easy to have a nice widget on your home screen that allows you to easily change brightness. So there is no reason to force it to max all the time.

6) The Play store is fine. Its easy to navigate and best of all you can even shop and add stuff to your phone from ANY computer while the phone is just in your pocket. It does have a two list options for your apps. The first and default is ONLY the apps installed on your phone and that list is alphabetical. The second is a full list of any app you've used. That second app comes in handy if you delete an app and want it back. However, I am also perplexed as to why its not alphabetically ordered.

I'd like to close this with... if you're having issues with your Android phone there are really only two possibilities.
1) Its actually defective and you need to get it replaced.
2) Its an app or a set of apps causing your issues. Check the settings for new apps and simply delete the crap like soundboards, live wallpapers, task killers, anti-virus, etc. If you try out a few different apps, uninstall the losers.

Android's flexibility and extreme personalization is its best feature and for those who are lazy or don't time to read what they are doing, its also its greatest defect.

Also, show me any WP tile and I can show you a widget that blows it away in every way.

Blaming apps is crazy. Its googles fault for not having a vetted system.

Apps are NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT the cause of all the issues. How come on our 2nd phone we didnt download anything for 1 month and still started to have problems on a brand new pone that won pone of the year.

Check this out. 1 of hundreds of issues relating to speed and battery not to do wit apps.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3453

selnor said:

Apps are NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT the cause of all the issues. How come on our 2nd phone we didnt download anything for 1 month and still started to have problems on a brand new pone that won pone of the year.

Check this out. 1 of hundreds of issues relating to speed and battery not to do wit apps.

While there are bugs in any software (antennae-gate anyone), note I did say 98% of the time its apps and your settings. Also, I'm betting that bug from 2009 has been resolved. I know my Gnex doesn't experience anything of the sort. In four months I've only rebooted twice. I simply attribute that to the fact that I have a fully computer in my hand and I'd think any computer needs to be shut down occasionally. I know this same thing happens on iOS as well and I'm sure WP.

However, I never see slowness or fore closes... well when I first got the phone, one of my apps was not working. But, a short time later it was updated to fix ICS related issues... I don't remember which app it was though.

The system is vetted just fine. Is it perfect, no. Is it progressing and improving by leaps and bounds at every iteration, hell yes. But so was iOS and WP7 still is. That's the nature of a new OS. Google is also cracking down on how much OEMs are allowed to muck with. For instance, with ICS and going forward they cannot change the structure of the menu system. They also have to agree to upgrade paths that are much more realistic for any phone up to two years. i.e. matching most people's natural upgrades.

Gingerbread was already really good. ICS is damn near perfect. Eitherway, the advice I give to pay attention to your apps is still golden and proven to solve most issues.

superchunk said:
selnor said:

While there are bugs in any software (antennae-gate anyone), note I did say 98% of the time its apps and your settings. Also, I'm betting that bug from 2009 has been resolved. I know my Gnex doesn't experience anything of the sort. In four months I've only rebooted twice. I simply attribute that to the fact that I have a fully computer in my hand and I'd think any computer needs to be shut down occasionally. I know this same thing happens on iOS as well and I'm sure WP.

However, I never see slowness or fore closes... well when I first got the phone, one of my apps was not working. But, a short time later it was updated to fix ICS related issues... I don't remember which app it was though.

The system is vetted just fine. Is it perfect, no. Is it progressing and improving by leaps and bounds at every iteration, hell yes. But so was iOS and WP7 still is. That's the nature of a new OS. Google is also cracking down on how much OEMs are allowed to muck with. For instance, with ICS and going forward they cannot change the structure of the menu system. They also have to agree to upgrade paths that are much more realistic for any phone up to two years. i.e. matching most people's natural upgrades.

Gingerbread was already really good. ICS is damn near perfect. Eitherway, the advice I give to pay attention to your apps is still golden and proven to solve most issues.

That forum I posted was originally opened in 2009. The last post for the same issue was July 2011. Thats a significant ongoing issue. To be honest its 1 of hundreds of android slow threads on the internet in loads of forums. Its hugely common and Id say most slow issues are nothing to do with apps. I know people who had Android and didnt even use the appstore. They just used what the phone came with. Yet had so much trouble with their phone OS speed.

Around the Network

A lot of great responses in this thread. I hope we can continue having mobile phone threads, as I find loyalties and fanatics are more pronounced and interesting. I'll add my experience as an Android I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 for eight months.

The S2 is a beast of a phone; quick internet speeds, large display, and fun to customize. I could actually surf the internet comfortably, browsing through sites during my commute, and "saving time."

The problem I had with this phone was that I was too stupid to know how to use it. As my first smartphone, I was helpless in figuring out why my WIFI was taking 80% of battery usage after a single day. I was ignorant as to why my phone would reach 48*C and burn my face off. I was foolish to keep downloading apps, and to whimsically wonder why my battery wouldn't last half a day.

SuperChunk said it best, "Android's flexibility and extreme personalization is its best feature and for those who are lazy or don't time to read what they are doing, its also its greatest defect." Android is like a PC; you must know what you are doing in order to maximize efficiency and utility. For most people, this requires too much learning. I feel that most individuals won't want to spend the time to understand the OS. This is one of the reasons why iOS is so popular (few decisions to make, easy to use).

I have used Windows Phone for work (Lumia 800), and the philosophy behind the phone always shines through. It has fewer apps (including the main ones), but comparing user experience, I feel it is right in the middle of Apple and Google. That is what it has going for it (as well as having Nokia behind the software).

If you were ever frustrated with your Android phone, I would recommend Windows Phone. It's new, a clean OS, looks great physically, and it growing everyday.

selnor said:
superchunk said:
selnor said:

That forum I posted was originally opened in 2009. The last post for the same issue was July 2011. Thats a significant ongoing issue. To be honest its 1 of hundreds of android slow threads on the internet in loads of forums. Its hugely common and Id say most slow issues are nothing to do with apps. I know people who had Android and didnt even use the appstore. They just used what the phone came with. Yet had so much trouble with their phone OS speed.

Or it could be that people who see their phone as slow search the internet and find that thread. Afterall its not swamped with replies. I'd bet that if we could talk to those individuals, many of them would have app related issues and simply not realize it. Additionally, there is a reason people are buying Android based phones more than any other... repeatidly. It can't be because their phone was so crappy.

Android reminds me of Win based PCs, and I find it interesting that defenders of Microsoft would attack Android phones for what looks like complaints thrown at Windows based PCs.

richardhutnik said:
Android reminds me of Win based PCs, and I find it interesting that defenders of Microsoft would attack Android phones for what looks like complaints thrown at Windows based PCs.

That really depends on what part of Microsoft they're defending. I completely agree about the Windows comparison to Android, but only when talking Win32 applications. The new Metro applications bring Windows in line with what I personally like about WP7 though, and I'm immenselly enjoying using Windows 8 over Windows 7.