By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Convince an Android fan, to use a WP7 more

since this site is probably the only site other than the official MS sites that praises WP7 and IE9 and place it ontop of Android and Chrome, I ask you guys to explain this to me, why is it better?, I mean, the phones are always hampered by scrict rules that Microsoft places like fixed resolution for example, even if your phone screen is huge, it means jackshit to the OS so in the end the screen quality looks like crap, another strict rule is no flash, and thats the same for IOS, barely any costumization, mostly all in house apps, barely any substance that shows supriority over Android, so please explain to me why its better, I myself owned an Android, an IOS , a Symbian and a WP7 over the years , and if I personally rate them its like this

Android >> IOS >> WP7 >> Symbian

for all the WP7 phones I got i always end up disappointed and felt that the OS largely hampered the phone's specs, for example HTC HD7, and returned it, and now thanks to you and your hype of the second coming of christ for this phone,  now I have Lumia 800 and I am thinking of returning it, because its basically the same thing as HD7 , since specs don't mean shit other than camera and even that is hampered a bit when you view photos

**(I buy these things at full price, not on contracts, I want to OWN a phone, not a license)

So , convince me to actually use it more than an Android , since you guys love to hate on IOS and then  Android and have a bro crush on WP7

Around the Network

Here you go: http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/11-reasons-window-phone-7-google-android/

You can thank me later.

It's better!

You're welcome

Seeing as you clearly didn't like WP7 from the HD7, I'm not sure why you would listen to fanboys and let the hype get to you.

Like with so many other things, fanboyism is not the answer, and Android might very well be better suited to your needs and desires. WP7, Android and iOS all have different strengths, and one platform will only be superior to the other according to the needs of the individual.

I personally haven't owned an Android device, so I can't really give you any comparisons, but I can tell you why I like WP7. I don't put huge requirements on my phone, I just need something that can do what dumbphones do and let me browse the web and check my mail, while having the occasional app to make things easier and better, like navigation, public transport, games, etc.

WP7 does all that beautifully, in an interface I find easy and quick to use. I don't need customization above what WP7 already offers and the limitations Microsoft set on hardware means basically every app runs well on my device (despite its age). So WP7 is definitely a system for me, but whether it is so for you is something else.

I tried WP7 for five minutes and I got bored there. I think The GUI is seriously the worst I've ever seen and I am not alone about it. In my opinion Microsoft should design the whole GUI from scratch ( though that will never happen). App selection may be considered okish but they are expensive. It is only good for people who use their phones for only dialing and messaging because it works well even on crap hardware.

Nokia should have gone with Android. Lumia 800 looks nice and it would have been a serious contender to Samsung's Galaxy series. Instead, we now have what you've just described.

A smartphone OS should be fun and Windows Phone is not fun. Do not bother with fanboys, you already know what these OS's capable of. You don't need to be convinced.

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Here you go: http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/11-reasons-window-phone-7-google-android/

You can thank me later.

I LOL'd reading this. Seriously, the person who wrote this is mentally challenged. I mean who the hell on earth suggests that WP7 marketplace is better than Google Play?

"Sync Client"

The writer suggests that WP7 has better sync client. LOL. Android does not need a sync client! Just connect it to a PC and that is all. Revolution, I know.

"Lots of XBOX games"

I don't even need to LOL. Self explanatory.

"It is locked down. Even more so than IOS"

That is a serious achievement there. I mean who would think that there would be something more locked down than IOS a few years ago?

"It is different"

Windows phone 6.5 is different than Android or WP7 too. Every OS is different.

Thank you.

I guess that's more personal preference...

For me: Symbian^3 >> IOS >> WP7 >> Android

The Android have little performer and drains so much battery... for run ok it's need over 1Ghz processor and 512MB RAM... these things drains battery.

Google grows revenue twice as fast as Microsoft does on a yearly basis and i'm talking about the corporations overall, not whatever divsions the smartphones are in. Expect google to get closer to catching up to MS's revenue a year from now and in two years the numbers will be even closer still. People rave about how great MS's marketing is, but the ability basically comes from MS being able to throw money around like crazy to solve the marketing problem. Even if WP7 just maintains its marketshare, expect Google to put up somewhat harder competition in a year and this will be even more so two years from now.

Msft should just pull out while the going is good.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

You can thank me later.

Lets see..

"1- Tiles layout Windows Phone 7 has a home-screen with tiles layout different from Android’s icons. It will help you save much time since you may not need to open every application to see your social media, news and score updates. Everything will be available on your home-screen of a WP7-powered Smartphone or tablet. "

But Android does have a home screen and can multitask , you don't have to open everything, everything just opens up automatically if you want it to 

2. It is prettier

Its fugly, the tiles look like they're not filling the screen, like as if someone was bad at MSPaint designed it and forgot to crop the black space

Why is there a huge black space there? and the "Peoples" menu is a mess of random pictures.

the Android is beautiful looking because it doesn't have a standard look , its highly costumizable, you can change just about everything from colors background and layout very easily, also it has live wallpaper, its the only OS that have that.

3 - Lots of apps, dedicated apps store

Thats just bull... Google Marketplace (or now called Google Play) , has a lot more apps, infact I was very underwhelmed by not having the most basic apps, because you know the OS is so strict that you basically can't use it outside the stock stuff.

4. It is locked down  

This guy serious?!

5. Hub features 

yes.... and this is on every OS actually, even symbian have this. 

6. Only one version 

Uh... how is this better? , i'd love to have my phone stay fresh and updated frequently 

7. It comes with hardware requirements right out of the gate

This... this actually is the reason why I made this thread, its a stupid thing, to actually have a huge phone but the OS doesn't recognize the big screen, its kinda like playing a Wii on an HD screen, its not designed for HD but you are using an HD phone which is crap.

8. Lots of Xbox games

???? they're not even Xbox games, some are ports of XBLA , but in defence of this, they still have achievements 

9. Zune pass compatible 

And android is compatible with everything elsethat exists excluding Itunes. 

10. Sync client 

This is actually one of the best features of Android, the way the phone syncs to your google account and that you can use it fluidly from PC to phone back to PC and then whatever you do, all your contacts , mail , chrome bookmarks, books, documents , purchases, ...ect ect all are synced automatically with your phone, it doesn't even need a client to do it.

11. its diffferent

well no shit its a different OS, and in house apps are made in house.

ethomaz said:
I guess that's more personal preference...

For me: Symbian^3 >> IOS >> WP7 >> Android

The Android have little performer and drains so much battery... for run ok it's need over 1Ghz processor and 512MB RAM... these things drains battery.

I get a lot of battery time and i have wireless / 3G with auto sync all the time, it doesn't drain battery as much as you think.