By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Xenoblade thread- Opinions, thoughts and questions inside! Can it hit 1mil in sales next year? Sequel coming for Wii U???

What is the best 'major' area in the game?

Colony 9 39 12.34%

Bionis' Leg 83 26.27%

The Marsh 20 6.33%

The Forest 17 5.38%

The Sea 24 7.59%

The Mountain 13 4.11%

The Valley 5 1.58%

Fallen Arm 22 6.96%

The Field of Metal 9 2.85%

See results! 73 23.10%

Total:305
Conegamer said:
amp316 said:
I finally beat this thing yesterday, and have to say that overall it's excellent. Some of the cut scenes were a bit long for my liking, but the awesome game play overshadows any of that. Combat was perfect and I liked actually the questing. By the way, am I the only one that thought that the final boss was a PITA? PITA being short for pain in the ass.

It depends on your level. I was 83 (I think he's 82) so had little issues, but I was frustrated from time to time.

I think some of the cutscenes were quite long, but only really 2 or 3 areas in the game does in matter (Fallen Arm, Mechonis Core, Space Memory). Aside from that, the cutscenes were of a perfect length, and you're looking at around 90-95 hours of gameplay at least for 5-6 hours of cutscenes. That's a mighty fair trade-off compared to must modern games (*Cough*FFXIII*Cough*Uncharted*Cough*). 

You planning on returning to doing the sidequests now?

Actually the final boss is ??? level.  He was tough, but every good game's final boss should be.

I wasn't comparing the amount of cutscenes to the latest FF games since we know that there's a lot more in those.  It's just that some of the scenes in this game went on far too long in my opinion, but overall it's a great game. 

I do plan on eventually trying to get all of the achievments, so yeah I really enjoy playing it.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

Yes, that was the other thing i was wondering: where does the rebuild process for Colony 6 start? Where do i go to find the people to talk to, the refugee camp or one of the colony gates?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

RolStoppable said:
Mr Khan said:
Yes, that was the other thing i was wondering: where does the rebuild process for Colony 6 start? Where do i go to find the people to talk to, the refugee camp or one of the colony gates?

At the colony gates. You'll get a mission to beat up some bad guys on the Lake Raguel bridge and then you have to report in to Juju who waits at the Refugee Camp. Upon reporting, Juju will tell you that the people will be moving once you confirm the completion of this mission, so you get a choice between "yes" and "no". There are 23 timed sidequests (technically 24, but one of them is branching, so it's 23 you can complete) at the Refugee Camp which are obviously recorded in the Bionis Leg section of the quest log. One of these timed sidequests is a spontaneous one that triggers at the waterfall in the southeast of the Gaur Plains.

That bathing woman being attacked by Volffs? Got that one already.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Starting to get annoyed at the dissonance: I had more trouble against those Rays on the way through Prison Island than i did with Metal Face. Still epic, although i knew one of the revelations ahead of time, it was a compelling story event. I was also vaguely bothered with the "will she or won't she?" of whether or not Melia was staying in the party, given that they created drama for no apparent reason

On a related note, how many more playables do you get? I did a runthrough of all the Heart-to-Hearts i'd become eligible for (mostly involving getting Dunban up to speed), and so many of the Heart-to-Heart sites i run into it won't even tell me conditions for, which i know means it pertains to a character i don't have yet. Don't need names, just want a number, because there are so many of them it seems like there should be more than one.

Just one more, the cuttest one

RolStoppable said:
Mr Khan said:

At the colony gates. You'll get a mission to beat up some bad guys on the Lake Raguel bridge and then you have to report in to Juju who waits at the Refugee Camp. Upon reporting, Juju will tell you that the people will be moving once you confirm the completion of this mission, so you get a choice between "yes" and "no". There are 23 timed sidequests (technically 24, but one of them is branching, so it's 23 you can complete) at the Refugee Camp which are obviously recorded in the Bionis Leg section of the quest log. One of these timed sidequests is a spontaneous one that triggers at the waterfall in the southeast of the Gaur Plains.

Incorrect. I believe that, at this stage, Otharon (the quest giver) has left to Alcamoth, and thus the quest can no longer be activated (similar to how "Even if the Cheif's Absence" only begins now). So it's Dulland who gives the quest, and that quest is 'To Colony 6!', where the enemies are (I believe) stronger.

Do people not go back to Colony 6, I wonder? First thing I did when Juju left the party!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:
Mr Khan said:
Starting to get annoyed at the dissonance: I had more trouble against those Rays on the way through Prison Island than i did with Metal Face. Still epic, although i knew one of the revelations ahead of time, it was a compelling story event. I was also vaguely bothered with the "will she or won't she?" of whether or not Melia was staying in the party, given that they created drama for no apparent reason

On a related note, how many more playables do you get? I did a runthrough of all the Heart-to-Hearts i'd become eligible for (mostly involving getting Dunban up to speed), and so many of the Heart-to-Heart sites i run into it won't even tell me conditions for, which i know means it pertains to a character i don't have yet. Don't need names, just want a number, because there are so many of them it seems like there should be more than one.

I assume you mean cutest? And I'm afraid that particular prize goes to Melia

Conegamer said:
Khuutra said:
"Oh I see, if I talk to people while they gossip about each other, it increase affinities and gives me bonuses. Probably free slot gear like I got for picking up those flowers. This girl just mentioned an artist, so I better go find Kenny again!

Doo doo doo, hey here's where Kenny

Was

SON OF A BITCH WHY IS THIS PLACE SO BIG"

You just need to chillax. Everything will settle down after a while, and you'll get used to where the characters are. I mean, Kenny is found in Tranquil Square between 9AM-4PM, and Betty is hiding behind a rose bush by a house where Franciose lives, spying on Kenny. From 4PM-11PM, he'll walk from Tranquil Square, around the residential district and into the commercial district, where he'll wait under a tree on the way to the Commercial District, where he'll stay from 11PM-5AM. From 5AM to 9AM, he'll walk back to the Tranquil Square, where his day starts again. 

And I haven't done anything with him for over 3 months, but I remember, since their patterns are so regular and easy to follow. Everything just seems...overwhelming at first. And the introduction is better than 99% of JRPG's. And the quest log is needed, there's over 450 quests, and most of them have several parts. And if you leave a quest for ages, you might forget about it. Best to have a record, no?

And the quests can give you much needed exp., money for rebuilding...somewhere, 2 additional skill trees for each character (a must-have really), 2 Monado Arts, the best gems in the game, and the best armour in the game, and the best weapons in the game, and to increase affinity so you can trade for better stuff, and complete the collectopedia. Just ignore the quests from nameless NPC's, like "Monster Quest 3", because you'll do most of them without trying. 

Finally, the day-night cycle allows you to change the weather in most areas, producing different enemies, UM's and enviroments. I wouldn't judge too early, because it is overwhelming. But you'll get there. Stick with it, because it'll fall into place soon.

And for the record this doesn't really address my problem with the sidequests, in that they're just thinly veiled ways to incentivize running around for longer than I would otherwise, and exist as a way to extend gameplay without giving me a sense of emotional resonance

That may change

But it's the first impression the game gives, and first impressions are important

Conegamer said:
AndrewWK said:

-.-

Khuutra said:
Conegamer said:
Khuutra said:
"Oh I see, if I talk to people while they gossip about each other, it increase affinities and gives me bonuses. Probably free slot gear like I got for picking up those flowers. This girl just mentioned an artist, so I better go find Kenny again!

Doo doo doo, hey here's where Kenny

Was

SON OF A BITCH WHY IS THIS PLACE SO BIG"

You just need to chillax. Everything will settle down after a while, and you'll get used to where the characters are. I mean, Kenny is found in Tranquil Square between 9AM-4PM, and Betty is hiding behind a rose bush by a house where Franciose lives, spying on Kenny. From 4PM-11PM, he'll walk from Tranquil Square, around the residential district and into the commercial district, where he'll wait under a tree on the way to the Commercial District, where he'll stay from 11PM-5AM. From 5AM to 9AM, he'll walk back to the Tranquil Square, where his day starts again. 

And I haven't done anything with him for over 3 months, but I remember, since their patterns are so regular and easy to follow. Everything just seems...overwhelming at first. And the introduction is better than 99% of JRPG's. And the quest log is needed, there's over 450 quests, and most of them have several parts. And if you leave a quest for ages, you might forget about it. Best to have a record, no?

And the quests can give you much needed exp., money for rebuilding...somewhere, 2 additional skill trees for each character (a must-have really), 2 Monado Arts, the best gems in the game, and the best armour in the game, and the best weapons in the game, and to increase affinity so you can trade for better stuff, and complete the collectopedia. Just ignore the quests from nameless NPC's, like "Monster Quest 3", because you'll do most of them without trying. 

Finally, the day-night cycle allows you to change the weather in most areas, producing different enemies, UM's and enviroments. I wouldn't judge too early, because it is overwhelming. But you'll get there. Stick with it, because it'll fall into place soon.

And for the record this doesn't really address my problem with the sidequests, in that they're just thinly veiled ways to incentivize running around for longer than I would otherwise, and exist as a way to extend gameplay without giving me a sense of emotional resonance

That may change

But it's the first impression the game gives, and first impressions are important

I know, it was just a general thing. But they do get longer as chains start to appear, and you go to places you wouldn't actually go to, and actually change the world around you (most notably Colony 6). Just don't do the nameless, generic quests (which disappear after a short amount of time from the areas, as more and more named NPC's give quests, so these short ones fall by the wayside).

I agree that first impressions are important, but this game gives a pretty good one. You can usually judge a game after an hour, but for one as long and as deep as this, that doesn't apply. And if you just explore, which the game encourages, you'll complete 70-90% of sidequests anyway.

AndrewWK said:
Conegamer said:
AndrewWK said:

-.-

Just because you're a Melia hater. We all know it! :P

Also, I just noticed this was the 1,000th post. I suppose I should add more substance. Hmm...

Looks like everyone's surprised! And Melia IS the best! Her VA is the next Dr. Who assistant FGS!