By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Xenoblade thread- Opinions, thoughts and questions inside! Can it hit 1mil in sales next year? Sequel coming for Wii U???

What is the best 'major' area in the game?

Colony 9 39 12.34%

Bionis' Leg 83 26.27%

The Marsh 20 6.33%

The Forest 17 5.38%

The Sea 24 7.59%

The Mountain 13 4.11%

The Valley 5 1.58%

Fallen Arm 22 6.96%

The Field of Metal 9 2.85%

See results! 73 23.10%

Total:305
Mr Khan said:
Hmm... Puzzling over whether the bait-and-switch with Fiora amounts to bad storytelling, or good storytelling. I suppose the fact that i have to think about it says something for it, though... Otherwise i'm optimistic that i have something good ahead, the chain attacks seem to make for some exciting combat, and i do like how lenient the game is on the matter of dying

As seems to be all-too-common in RPGs, is there anything i should be doing early in the game that will, in hindsight, make the later game much much easier?

For the first paragraph, eh, not really. That character is pretty bad-ass, though...

For the second paragraph, there's nothing that can't be done/undone at any point, so don't sweat it. Just get accustomed to using gems, since even though they don't do much in the early game their worth increases exponentially as the game goes on.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Mr Khan said:
Hmm... Puzzling over whether the bait-and-switch with Fiora amounts to bad storytelling, or good storytelling. I suppose the fact that i have to think about it says something for it, though... Otherwise i'm optimistic that i have something good ahead, the chain attacks seem to make for some exciting combat, and i do like how lenient the game is on the matter of dying

As seems to be all-too-common in RPGs, is there anything i should be doing early in the game that will, in hindsight, make the later game much much easier?

Avoid doing sidequests that were given to you by named NPCs, because they net you EXP.

EXP, tech points and skill points you gain from enemies scale to your level. By doing sidequests that reward you with EXP you quickly level up which will make the game easier in the early stages of the game, also because of equipment rewards. But on the flipside you won't amass many tech points and skill points by fighting what gets in your way in the storyline. Thus your abilities and skills may end up being underdeveloped towards the end of the game. Nothing dramatic, it's only going to hit you hard if you want to tackle all the optional content.

There's no harm in accepting all sidequests you come across. The ones you get from unnamed NPCs you can complete right away, because they only award you with money. The ones you get from named NPCs you can also complete in the sense that you slaughter requested monsters or collect materials dropped by monsters. The actual completion only triggers if you speak to the named NPC again.

All of the above is not that important, just keep in mind that the difficulty of the game is largely in your own hands. If you want to be overpowered, do all sidequests as soon as possible. If you want more challenge, stay clear of sidequests.

One aspect that is important is the affinity between your party members which allows you to link more skills (very important) and also raises the probability of longer chain attacks. During battles, you are sometimes prompted to press B when one character dodges an enemy attack or something. Hitting it perfectly when for example Reyn dodges in a party with Shulk and Sharla will net you three hearts between Reyn and Shulk and three hearts between Reyn and Sharla. Pressing B a little too late reduces these values to one heart. Activating a chain attack with the same party will reward you with one heart between Shulk and Reyn, Shulk and Sharla, Reyn and Sharla. For this reason I recommend to activate chain attacks even it is completely unnecessary (like right before the end of a battle you would win anyway). This stuff will add up over time.

Also, when you accept and complete sidequests from named NPCs, your active party will talk to each other and the leader will always be among the two characters that receive hearts. So if you have a character that lags behind in affinity, put him/her in the lead of your party when talking to named NPCs.

How do i measure affinity? Haven't quite figured out all the menu functions yet...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Not sure i like the in-battle application of future sight. It seems to amount merely to a quick-time event wrapped in the game's battle-trappings.

I just defeated Mumkhar for good at Galahad Fortress and I was at level 52 when I defeated that particular boss, do anybody know if I was over- or underlevled and I can't find the next checkpoint for some reason, after the boss. 

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

AlphaCielago said:

I just defeated Mumkhar for good at Galahad Fortress and I was at level 52 when I defeated that particular boss, do anybody know if I was over- or underlevled and I can't find the next checkpoint for some reason, after the boss. 

Just a little under. The next boss is 57, though you don't need to kill her, more the 4 nameless faces, of the same level. Then you have a fight between a level 60 and the same level 57 enemy, though again, you more have to survive.

If you get the final party member at level 55+, you're about there.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

How do i measure affinity? Haven't quite figured out all the menu functions yet...

Go to the affinity chart in the notepad menu button (it looks like a group of people in a circle with lines coming out of it, then click the central icon in that menu).

Other things you shouldn't forget:

-You can fast travel to any area in the game by going on the far-right icon

-You can gift collectibles (the blue orbs) by going into the inventory and selecting the item

-If you press the b button during burst affinity right over the outer circle, you get 3 hearts increase, not 1.

-Quests from unnamed NPC's give no exp., and quests later in quest chains give better rewards (better weapons, more affinity stars, skill trees, Monado arts etc.)

-Talk to all named NPC's in a new area once, then return at a different time (e.g. 3 hours later) and talk to all NPC's twice, to gain access to more affinity links and quests (I did this in Frontier Village and gained 11 quests, when before there were none!)

-You cn buy intermediate art books in shops.

I think that should just about do it. You'd be surprised how many people don't realise especially the top 2, andonly realise halfway through the game >.<

Where abouts are you in the game BTW? I think early on, but that was a couple days ago.

Conegamer said:
Mr Khan said:

Go to the affinity chart in the notepad menu button (it looks like a group of people in a circle with lines coming out of it, then click the central icon in that menu).

-You can gift collectibles (the blue orbs) by going into the inventory and selecting the item

-If you press the b button during burst affinity right over the outer circle, you get 3 hearts increase, not 1.

-Quests from unnamed NPC's give no exp., and quests later in quest chains give better rewards (better weapons, more affinity stars, skill trees, Monado arts etc.)

-Talk to all named NPC's in a new area once, then return at a different time (e.g. 3 hours later) and talk to all NPC's twice, to gain access to more affinity links and quests (I did this in Frontier Village and gained 11 quests, when before there were none!)

I think that should just about do it. You'd be surprised how many people don't realise especially the top 2, andonly realise halfway through the game >.<

Where abouts are you in the game BTW? I think early on, but that was a couple days ago.

The Bionis' knee. Haven't been playing as long as i should be...

Mr Khan said:
Conegamer said:
Mr Khan said:

The Bionis' knee. Haven't been playing as long as i should be...

That's cool. I really love that area. The music, the enemies, the openness, the views...everything about it was great for the first 'real' area. 

I spent around a dozen hours simply runningaround aimlessly, doing quests and killing things. Great times.

One last structural question: Is there any point in saving old weapons? Can you trade them, find some use for other characters or something, or is selling your only recourse?

RolStoppable said:
Mr Khan said:
One last structural question: Is there any point in saving old weapons? Can you trade them, find some use for other characters or something, or is selling your only recourse?

Each character has their own kind of weapons, so there's no point in saving old weapons. I think you can trade them, but I never did. You will get the best weapons from unique monsters and quest rewards, but never from trade. So sell old weapons and invest the money in art books.

Honestly, you never have to buy any weapons or armor. Drops from monsters and quest rewards are sufficient and usually better than what you can buy anyway.

That's what i figured, but i wanted to make sure before i started a sell-off.

Now if only that level 77 Ardun in the Guar plains would stop chasing me...