By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A handheld hater buys a 3DS (and eats crow)

For those of you who don't know, I have never owned a handheld because they just weren't my thing.  I've written hundreds of mean spirited comments about handheld gaming in general and even a lengthy and disturbing thread bashing the 3DS.  Blame my seven year old nephew for my purchase.  He came over to my place with that blasted thing and I started playing Mario Kart 7.  I kept playing and playing and playing.  It turns out that that it's an excellent system and I take back almost everything that I ever said about it.  I say almost everything because it causes serious cramps in my giant ogre hands.  Also, the battery running out of juice immediately after me leaving the house is infuriating, but that's neither here nor there.  Sorry, it's a process learning how to not talk badly about the 3DS...

So I ask you, the 3DS fans, to find it in your heart to accept me as one of your own (you may rake me over the coals first if you wish).  Remember, I am a huge Nintendo fan.  That's another reason that I've bought the 3DS.  Nintendo's brilliant strategy.  They decided to stop make anything worthwhile on the Wii and now I needed to own a 3DS to continue to be a Nintendo fan.

Games that I now own:

Mario Kart 7

Resident Evil (I bought the wrong game) 3D

Super Street Fighter IV

Resident Evil (I went back to the store and got the right game)

I am aware that's a lot of Capcom and I plan to get Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus, and probably Pilotwings eventually.

So, do you guys have any other suggestions for games that I should have?  How is Sonic Generations?  Also, tell me other things that I need to know about the 3DS.  Thanks, in advance.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

Handhelds>Home consoles :D DS is the best console of all time imo, and the 3DS looks to top it if the games keep coming over the next few years

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

I would recommend that you go to the GamrConnect most wanted thread and look at people's most wanted for 3DS. That gives you a lot of suggestions on what to pre-order. Luigi's Mansion 2 and Kingdom Hearts are some highlights, if you like those types of games.
I would recommend to not buy those "battery extender" packs, they just look plain stupid. Turning down the 3D a little bit could help with the ghosting if that happens to you. I shall write more later.

Hmm, I have:

- Street Fighter IV - Great game, best fighter this gen. You already have it.
- Resident Evil Revelations - Another great game. You already have it too...
- Mario 3D land - Genius game. Probably the best game in the system right now. 3D is used for gameplay in ways you just can't imagine - from the first stage until the end. It's not a suggestion since you'll be getting it eventually, but just to hype you even more.
- Tetris Axis - Good, but not nearly as good as tetris ds, but still good if you like tetris
- Lego - all 3 of them... what can I say, they're great and funny. And hilarious. Did I mention they're funny?
- Starfox - also fantastic, and the best 3D perspective I've seen, until I played Kid Icarus.
- VVVVVV (3ds ware) - brilliant game. Brilliant. Games should learn a lot from this one. Simple graphics, simple gameplay, simple sounds, simple story. Simple everything and it's true, less is more.
- And finally, Zelda, which is still my favorite game ever. Maybe I'm biased toward it (maybe not), but I can't be that wrong and it still is at least one of the best ever.

I'm still waiting for Tales of the Abyss, MGS3D and Kid Icarus to arrive, so I can't say anything about them for now. But they look pretty solid. And try to check Rhythm Thief if you have any interest in music games, it's on my next list to buy.

Sonic Generations is alright. The level design for the levels in the middle of the game are pretty crap, but the early levels and last few levels are the kinds of awesome things you'd expect from Dimps. Not a great game, but if you like Sonic games it's agood purchase.

What I'd REALLY reccomend is Shinobi. It's a great hardcore action games, and is a great call back to the incredibly hard, slightly cheap action games of the 8 and 16 bit eras. Graphics aren't great, but the game play is.

I'd also reccomend:

Dead or Alive if you enjoy 3D fighters.

Starfox 64 if you don't mind playing a remade version of the classic

Zelda Ocarina, same as the last

Cave Story 3D, the definitive version of the Metroidvania style download game

Also reccomend downloading some digital content like:

Shantae

Mighty Milky Way

Mighty Switch Force

Mutant Mudds

Pushmo

Around the Network

Even though you bought Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D by accident (and took it back i see) there's a lot of fun to be had with that game.at the right price.

I know it's only Mercenaries mode........ but the gameplay is a lot more fluid than Mercenaries mode that's in RE 4&5.

For example your character does not bend down to pick up items (you just walk past them and pick it up instantly in your stride)

Theres TPS & FPS gameplay styles, and the online co-op mode is addictive as hell (racking up the full 150 hit combo with another player is immensely satisfying)

Theres still lots of people who play it online too.

RE: Mercs 3D>>>> RE: 4&5 mercs.

As for REvelations........... it's still my handheld GOTY so far by quite some distance........ simply SUPERB game.

Theres tonnes of games in the eShop aswell that are worth checking out. (i personally have Punch-Out.!, Super Mario Bros, Sonic: Triple Trouble & Shinobi so far)

After some intensive consideration, I have chosen to accept your apology.

And now, I welcome you to what may become the greatest handheld of ALL TIME!

Ronster316 said:
Even though you bought Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D by accident (and took it back i see) there's a lot of fun to be had with that game.at the right price.

I know it's only Mercenaries mode........ but the gameplay is a lot more fluid than Mercenaries mode that's in RE 4&5.

For example your character does not bend down to pick up items (you just walk past them and pick it up instantly in your stride)

Theres TPS & FPS gameplay styles, and the online co-op mode is addictive as hell (racking up the full 150 hit combo with another player is immensely satisfying)

Theres still lots of people who play it online too.

RE: Mercs 3D>>>> RE: 4&5 mercs.

As for REvelations........... it's still my handheld GOTY so far by quite some distance........ simply SUPERB game.

Theres tonnes of games in the eShop aswell that are worth checking out. (i personally have Punch-Out.!, Super Mario Bros, Sonic: Triple Trouble & Shinobi so far)

I didn't take Mercenaries back.  I kept it along with the other games that I listed. 

It's not bad at all.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Check out Ghost recon: Shadow Wars if you need an srpg fix before Fire Emblem comes out. There are a couple demos on the eshop so you can try those out. Welcome to the club. :)

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

Amp get Sonic Generations next! Game is so awesome!