By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone else feel that Nintendo has next gen locked up?

Who do you predict will win next gen?

Nintendo 276 50.00%

Sony 130 23.55%

Microsoft 86 15.58%

Apple 23 4.17%

Sega 36 6.52%

Total:551

I don't think so, but it's too early to make any real predictions. I'll wait till we see what Microsony has in store for us.

Around the Network

Not really. The more we hear about the Wii U being on par with current generation consoles, the more I can see third parties treating it exactly as they did the Wii. More problematically, the tablet controller seems more like an attempt to get on board with an existing fad than it does an attempt to do something new. If this is supposed to be Nintendo's answer to the iPad, then it is the same sort of answer that the Playstation Move was to the Wiimote: late and completely insufficient.

anyone else think it's far too early to predict the outcome of the 8th gen for home consoles?

to early to tell,but my personal opinion, no chance.

No, not by a long shot. Next generation is still completely open, we don't know what else could show up besides X-box, Ninty and PS4 and I have very little faith that the WiiU will be anything like the Wii in terms of sales.

Around the Network

for gamers? no
for sales? probably. but again it depends, the people that bought the wii arn't gamers, so the market share might not want to upgrade.
if your a 50 year old playing with your grand daughter in bowling you won't need or want a wii u. nintendo showed a graph of who bought or wanted their console.
5-13 year olds and 40+ year olds were the gist of the sales.
So, the older folk probably won't want or care about the wii-u, the younger guys might want to upgrade but maybe they won't want the wii-u, depends on a lot of stuff for them

Not at all. I honestly have no idea how the Wii U is going to do.

Also, we know too little about the other two systems to even make a guess.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

KungKras said:
Panama said:
The Wii upset a lot of core fans but brought in a larger but now stagnating demographic of new more casual oriented fans. I'd like to imagine there are more potential sales from casuals than from core video game players, so price the thing at $299 and have it out a year before the competition and it's over. The core will slowly creep back once they see the motion gaming nightmare is over.

Motion gaming was never a nightmare.

It was the promise of something awesome, that was never fulfilled.

This is exactly what I feel right now. I'll hold off on predicting how the Wii U may perform once I hear more. I felt this way when I got my Wii, and when I bought Kinect (after seeing Natal demo)... Although, I have to say Kinect is pretty fun. I didn't even bother with Move.

Traceskipper said:

No I dont feel that way at all. I do respect the nintendo fans but they seem to compare their hardware to both sony and microsoft. The wii should of be compared to the ps2/xbox not ps3/xbox360, its insulting. Its like comparing macdonalds to a new york steak.

The 3ds is the first indication that nintendo is in trouble. No one bought it in the beginning until the price drop. The second indication is the wii was a huge hit and priced around $220 + wii sports (for second wii mote) and with taxes = $300 (canadian). The rest of its software was crap b/c of the expectations of the consumer - cheap. Now nintendo is trying to put the breaks on and join in the sony/xbox domination. 

So the question is will a 100 million sony/xbox fans suddenly drop their respective consoles and buy the wii u?

Will the wii fans suddenly stop playing dance 3 or wii fitness or any that crap and pony up 400 - 500 bucks for a new console + extra controller and a game or two?

There is no doubt they will sell units but I dont think its going to be the same as the wii or ps3 or the xbox. The bottom line is nintendo is in trouble wii u wise. But their software department is probably secured no matter what happens.

That last sentence just contradicted the rest of your comment.

Nintendo has this one. Phones no = game system.

Nintendo has 1 year lead on Xbox 3/PS4, Wacky new controller, 1st party titles of greatness. Game over everyone else.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.