By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft and Sony need to embrace Tablets for their next-gen consoles

logic56 said:
I can bet all of those 3 million sales had nothing at all to do with gaming, so no

These days consoles are more than just for gaming just like an iPad is for more than just checking email. These are multi-media devices.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
I want [...] MS to stick with traditional controllers.

VGKing said:
logic56 said:
I can bet all of those 3 million sales had nothing at all to do with gaming, so no

These days consoles are more than just for gaming just like an iPad is for more than just checking email. These are multi-media devices.

and i can also bet multimedia features had almost nothing to do with sales of gaming consoles.

primary functions are what sell devices, game consoles sell because of games, and multimedia devices sell because of multimedia, the moment you lose sight of your core your business is drowned in shit, see the gaming crash in the 80s.

VGKing said:

I bet you that at least either Microsoft or Sony will come out with a tablet controller for their next console. The one that doesn't will be stuck in 3rd place.

Calling it now, Sony's will have two touchscreens.

They just have to support the tablets. The multiplatform games will support tablets by default and it'd be extra win if the Windows 8/Android tablets are compatible so you can buy a peripheral that's actually useful for a change outside of games.

Tease.

Around the Network
TadpoleJackson said:
RVDondaPC said:

You clearly don't know what a gimmick is. BluRay/DVD, cell processor, XBL,  and achievements are not gimmicks. The eyetoy maybe, but it was never really used as a marketing tool. The kinect would  be considered a gimmick because it seemed to be developed to use more as a marketing tooll rather than adding substance to the actual system. 

No... I don't think you know what gimmick means. 

Straight from wiki

"gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries..." 

XBL, achievements, eyetoy, DVD/blu-ray playback, and to a point the cell processor made their respective consoles stand out from the pack. 

Did you read passed the first sentence? "In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature. It began, however, as a slang term for something that a con artist or magician had his assistant manipulate to make appearances different from reality. Such things as the manipulating of a gaming wheel led to the idea of a "gimmick" being used."

Nah, not sure what Sony's goal will be, but MS has kinect and the will to invest in it. It's been quite successful so far and they've managed to build up a decent enough library so far with stuff like Dance Central, Kinect Sports, Gunstringer, Rise of Nightmares, Haunt, Happy Action Theater, Fruit Ninja Kinect, etc. People don't want a big tablet to control their media center, they use tablets for mobile purposes. Nintendo showed us the casual geyser spring, but there will always be a limit, and simply copying every popular product will only damage one's brand in the long run.

spurgeonryan said:
Wow! If I said some of this in this thread I would be banned!

I think they should just wait and improve upon it later.

Why would you get banned? There isn't really anything bad about what he said.

Sony can do it

EDIT: this MW3 ad at the top of each page is killing me -_-

I'd like to imagine a good portion of those 3million didn't buy the thing for gaming.