By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft and Sony need to embrace Tablets for their next-gen consoles

DanneSandin said:
How come it is that hardcore gamers seem to be so god damn anti change?! Remember that the analog stick once were new! And even the D-pad were new stuff! These two things changed, no - revolutionized gaming in almost every aspect! Don't be hating untill you've atleast tried the stuff!

You do have a point. But I've tried motion controls and I found it fucking horrible :P

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
How come it is that hardcore gamers seem to be so god damn anti change?! Remember that the analog stick once were new! And even the D-pad were new stuff! These two things changed, no - revolutionized gaming in almost every aspect! Don't be hating untill you've atleast tried the stuff!

Hardcore gamers are often anti-change because the current input options (controllers with two joysticks and the keyboard and mouse combo, not that bizarre motion control nonsense) work just fine. You can not fix what isn't broken. Also, these new control methods typically coincide with two worrying trends. Firstly, in place of genuine gameplay innovation game developers can simply repackage old games for the new controls. Secondly, they always seem to coincide with a great rush of shovelware. As unlikely as these trends are caused by the advent of motion or touch controls instead of the popularity of the platforms that utilize them, there is a stigma attached to them as a result. To speak frankly for a change, I think that these new control schemes suck hard and I hope they disappear from the market altogether and real gameplay innovation returns in full force. Everybody is allowed to have a ridiculous fantasy, even me.

spurgeonryan said:
Why would anyone quote anything I have to say? Because the world is a harsh mistress ninpie.

Ot: tablets are the future. Anyone ever see startrek?

I've seen Star Trek! Their tablets back then were scarly similar to the iPad! I bet they didn't expect the world's technology to evolve that fast in such little time.

RVDondaPC said:
TadpoleJackson said:
RVDondaPC said:

You clearly don't know what a gimmick is. BluRay/DVD, cell processor, XBL,  and achievements are not gimmicks. The eyetoy maybe, but it was never really used as a marketing tool. The kinect would  be considered a gimmick because it seemed to be developed to use more as a marketing tooll rather than adding substance to the actual system. 

No... I don't think you know what gimmick means. 

Straight from wiki

"gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries..." 

XBL, achievements, eyetoy, DVD/blu-ray playback, and to a point the cell processor made their respective consoles stand out from the pack. 

Did you read passed the first sentence? "In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature. It began, however, as a slang term for something that a con artist or magician had his assistant manipulate to make appearances different from reality. Such things as the manipulating of a gaming wheel led to the idea of a "gimmick" being used."

yeah so?  "typically" does not mean "always". And anyways that's what most of that stuff is what use does the cell processor have to consumers; it's just something people got excited about. Same for the eyetoy, and achievments. They were completely pointless but they stood out to consoles. the blu-ray/DVD/XBL are just gimmicks too. Stuff that just gave their respective console something to brag about 

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
DanneSandin said:

You do have a point. But I've tried motion controls and I found it fucking horrible :P

Fortunatly for you the new controler isn't motion controls ;)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

isn't the Wii U tablet completely useless without the console ?
If so then it's a HUGE no.

bouzane said:
DanneSandin said:

Hardcore gamers are often anti-change because the current input options (controllers with two joysticks and the keyboard and mouse combo, not that bizarre motion control nonsense) work just fine. You can not fix what isn't broken. Also, these new control methods typically coincide with two worrying trends. Firstly, in place of genuine gameplay innovation game developers can simply repackage old games for the new controls. Secondly, they always seem to coincide with a great rush of shovelware. As unlikely as these trends are caused by the advent of motion or touch controls instead of the popularity of the platforms that utilize them, there is a stigma attached to them as a result. To speak frankly for a change, I think that these new control schemes suck hard and I hope they disappear from the market altogether and real gameplay innovation returns in full force. Everybody is allowed to have a ridiculous fantasy, even me.

That's probably what they said way back in early to mid 80's when the joystick ruled supreme. Then came Nintendo and the D-pad. It took the joystick 10 years to make a come back - in the form of analog sticks. Point is, it doesn't have to be broken; there could still be a better alternative out there, and you wouldn't know it untill someone made it a reality.

And about your wish that "real gameplay innovation returns in full force": what would Super Mario Bros. be without the D-pad back in it's day? And in the long run, where would gaming be today without Mario and the D-pad?! The D-pad made Mario possible and change the course of gaming history. Who's to say that there isn't a better way to play games than what we have today?!

DanneSandin said:
bouzane said:
DanneSandin said:

That's probably what they said way back in early to mid 80's when the joystick ruled supreme. Then came Nintendo and the D-pad. It took the joystick 10 years to make a come back - in the form of analog sticks. Point is, it doesn't have to be broken; there could still be a better alternative out there, and you wouldn't know it untill someone made it a reality.

And about your wish that "real gameplay innovation returns in full force": what would Super Mario Bros. be without the D-pad back in it's day? And in the long run, where would gaming be today without Mario and the D-pad?! The D-pad made Mario possible and change the course of gaming history. Who's to say that there isn't a better way to play games than what we have today?!

Alright, propose at least one significant form of gameplay that would be impossible with the aforementioned control schemes. With the Atari joystick it was easy to spot games that would benefit from more sophisticated controls, Spy Hunter for example. The standard controller doesn't work well for RTS games and the keyboard and mouse can not handle platformers very well; however the two control methods in conjunction have allowed just about any activity imaginable to be turned into a video game.

bouzane said:
DanneSandin said:
bouzane said:
DanneSandin said:

Alright, propose at least one significant form of gameplay that would be impossible with the aforementioned control schemes. With the Atari joystick it was easy to spot games that would benefit from more sophisticated controls, Spy Hunter for example. The standard controller doesn't work well for RTS games and the keyboard and mouse can not handle platformers very well; however the two control methods in conjunction have allowed just about any activity imaginable to be turned into a video game.

I'm not a game designer; I imagen that they have tons of ideas!

Lately there's a rumor that console version of WoW will launch together with WiiU. Now, I don't believe that myself, but thinking about it it kinda makes sense; that would mark the first time you could play a MMO on console and when it actually could be good! And you could play a RTS on it as well, using your fingers as a mouse. I think they'll find creative ways to use it!

Asking me how they will make use of the new control scheme isn't quite fair; I don't know the limits of it! But I love the idea that you won't need the TV to play!

DanneSandin said:
bouzane said:
DanneSandin said:
bouzane said:
DanneSandin said:

I'm not a game designer; I imagen that they have tons of ideas!

Lately there's a rumor that console version of WoW will launch together with WiiU. Now, I don't believe that myself, but thinking about it it kinda makes sense; that would mark the first time you could play a MMO on console and when it actually could be good! And you could play a RTS on it as well, using your fingers as a mouse. I think they'll find creative ways to use it!

Asking me how they will make use of the new control scheme isn't quite fair; I don't know the limits of it! But I love the idea that you won't need the TV to play!

Fair enough but I can not imagine anything that touch controls can do that a mouse could not do better.