By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should consoles go ALL digital?

Well?

Yes 11 8.59%

Never! 81 63.28%

Perhaps, in the future 36 28.13%

See results 0 0%

Total:128

ComputerAndVideoGames

We've been downloading games, movies and music for years now but somehow the idea of video game consoles without physical media is still difficult to parse. After all, sticking in a disc or cartridge is as habitual to gamers as holding a controller or pressing buttons.

Devices like the iPhone, iPad and PS Vita are taking baby steps into the world of digital-only gaming, but the idea of a having a new Xbox or PlayStation without a disc drive still feels like a leap we're not yet ready to make.

But with every passing week circumstances shift to suggest a discless gaming world would not only serve us better, but could very well happen soon, and in light of recent events we thought it would be interesting to bring up the issue again.

Arguably the biggest case for consoles delivering games exclusively through digital channels is the instability of brick and mortar retailers. While things finally seem to be looking up for GAME, which looks like it will be acquired by Comet owner OpCapita, it may be a case of delaying the inevitable.

GAME's woes meant it was unable to stock some of this month's biggest titles, including blockbusters like EA and BioWare's Mass Effect 3. According to analysts the absence could cost game £2.5million, but luckily the strength of the Mass Effect IP minimised the impact on sales, in its debut week Mass Effect 3 managed to shift more than the combined week one sales of both Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2.

However, not all games can be expected to show the same kind of resilience. We're bettingAsura's Wrath certainly suffered from not being on GAME's shelves.

So you've got to imagine publishers are paying attention to the fluctuating health of retail and factoring it in to its decision.

Earlier this year Swedish developer Paradox Interactive's boss Fredrik Wester said he thinks the next generation will be the last before consoles go all-digital, and went as far as to say he'd be 'surprised if we see another generation after that'.

Developers seem quite keen on it too, especially since it could deal a blow to the used game market. Obsidian's Chris Avellone recently said: "I hope digital distribution stabs the used game market in the heart."

For the immediate future it looks like both Microsoft and Sony aren't done with physical media. According to reports Microsoft has been telling its partners its next-generation console will "offer compatibility with some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage."

Meanwhile Sony's Kaz Hirai has said the PlayStation 4 is likely to be a disc-based systemsince "relying solely on networks to deliver content is unfortunately just not possible."

But we're interested in how you feel about going all-digital. Do you think the platform holders should ditch discs in favour of digital, why or why not? Let us know in the comments below.

Around the Network

While I do believe it is going to happen eventually, it certainly can't be done now. Far too many people still rely on the retail channel to buy their games. Also, you don't want to end up with the situation of a big game not being available through direct download, as was the case with Birth by Sleep and the PSPgo.

My friend is an idiot. He kept playing Tetris because I told him there was an endboss.

I would definitely say "no". The convenience of having one entire library of games on a HDD does not cover up for the insecurity in my opinion. And if the HDD crash, then so does your entire library (unless you can re-download it) and all its saved files and DLC/accessories.

Not now, no. And not for a while. The world is not ready, not even close.

No, no way! Overpriced games over which I have very little control myself? No, just no, I'm not getting into that. On PC it kinda works because there's more competition but on consoles? Well, it doesn't work even now, prices are way too high all the time and even greatest sales are decent at best.

That said, it can happen. That would just be the moment at which I would quit console gaming at latest.

Around the Network

I think someone may attempt it sooner than later but I can't see it become standard anytime soon.

Retail can still be involved though, you would just buy a voucher with a download code.

I would rather have them in their box

but to be honest there are a few benefits in going digital only and one of them is less plastic, paper and room. so I chose maybe in the future it would be good at least for the earth

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

No, they dont or at least no yet. I do see however a good opportunity for small devs with DD, when I look at JP devs not releasing some of their games here I dont blame them at all. I used to import games for the ds even though I cannot read japanese and I know a lot of people also do, there is a market for those games, however I am fully aware the market is not big enough to warrant the investment to bring their games to the west. The digital downloads would most likely remove many barriers for them, no physical copies, publisher royalties etc... And while the would still need to pay console royalties, I am pretty sure they would benefit a lot from those extra 10-20k copies. That may not sound like a lot, but when their games only sell between 40-60k on their main territory the overall picture doesnt look so bad.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

I think the largest library of online games is on XBLA and XBLIG. So Xbox 360 is the closest thing to digital gaming.
(Excluding Apple) Atleast next to Steam. But definitely not below any of the handhelds.

Anyway no, I dont want any consoles to become full digital.

Yay!!!

Hell no. The only decent connection I get is a 2mbps one and that has a cap of 7GB (Which usually lasts like three days) After that, I'm lucky to get 40kbps, if consoles go all digital, I'm never buying another one.