By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should consoles go ALL digital?

Well?

Yes 11 8.59%

Never! 81 63.28%

Perhaps, in the future 36 28.13%

See results 0 0%

Total:128

You don't have to stop playing just play your old consoles :)

Around the Network

Why are everyone so sure that it will happen eventually?

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:

Because it cuts out the middle man ( the physical retailers).

Otherwise my answer is no they shouldn't but they should increase day one digital download availability.

personnaly I'm all for all digital but I understand the necessity for a small physical market too.

After all you can still purchase physical music CDs these days..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

No, not now, but digital games and what not will have a much bigger impact next gen.

KungKras said:

Because it benefits console manufacturers and publishers. No retail wanting their own cut, no used games, less competition, more control over sold products.

Around the Network

I think it will happen someday (sadly) but I'm against it. Yes their is many advantages like cheaper games, less plastic/paper, not having to go to the store and being able to download a game at midnight, but I see so many cons also...

1- allot of ppl will lose jobs. You see GAMES going bankrupt and the same thing would probably happen to Gamestop/EBgames and other retailers... In a world with so many ppl losing jobs because of machines I don't see this as a good thing.

2- I love having the feeling that I OWN a game. I can do anything with my game disc, I can lend it to a friend, give it as a gift or even break it/burn it if I want to. I have a physical box/disc that I can put on my shelf along with other games. I like being able to look at my collection. When you download game, Its more that you are licensed to play the game. + if something happens with your console/hard drive you lose everything. Finally I love the excitement of opening a brand new game out of the box :)

3- Me personally I don't like using a credit card. I prefer paying what I can with cash. When I buy a game its because I can see that I have 60$ in my wallet and I know that I can spend it. With credit card your never sure how much you've spent totally for the day/week/month.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

It will never happen. Not even PC has gone all digital yet.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I would definitely say "no". The convenience of having one entire library of games on a HDD does not cover up for the insecurity in my opinion. And if the HDD crash, then so does your entire library (unless you can re-download it) and all its saved files and DLC/accessories.

i'm not sure about xbox.  i know wii is tied to the machine which i agree sucks.  psn is tied to the acccount though and you easily move all of your downloads to a new peice of hardware if you have to replace it.  it costs extra but plus members have cloud storage for save files too. 

I think vita is taking the "best" solution for the here and now.  physical copy and digital copy side by side and let the customer decide which works best for them.  I know i'm hoping to be able to go full digital next home console but i completely understand why not everyone would want to.  my vita is already full digital as well.

Today EA shut down more servers. Imagine a day when you try to re-download a game you bought a few years ago, but the servers are gone forever. Dreamy.

kitler53 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I would definitely say "no". The convenience of having one entire library of games on a HDD does not cover up for the insecurity in my opinion. And if the HDD crash, then so does your entire library (unless you can re-download it) and all its saved files and DLC/accessories.

i'm not sure about xbox.  i know wii is tied to the machine which i agree sucks.  psn is tied to the acccount though and you easily move all of your downloads to a new peice of hardware if you have to replace it.  it costs extra but plus members have cloud storage for save files too. 

I think vita is taking the "best" solution for the here and now.  physical copy and digital copy side by side and let the customer decide which works best for them.  I know i'm hoping to be able to go full digital next home console but i completely understand why not everyone would want to.  my vita is already full digital as well.

Yeah, Xbox users can re-download purchases for free as well.

When it comes to going all digital, Jumpin made a very good point: In order to store forty 25Gb games you'd need a 1 Tb HDD. Then add the greater games of next gen, the save files and the DLC and you'll reach a massive amount of storage needed.

So yeah, Vita is currently doing the right thing. And keeping the price relativly high for downloads also gives retailers a chance to compete.