By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should consoles go ALL digital?

Well?

Yes 11 8.59%

Never! 81 63.28%

Perhaps, in the future 36 28.13%

See results 0 0%

Total:128

Eventually, when a good internet connection becomes an extremely common thing, among other factors? Yes.

Any time soon? No.

In memory of Topless Avatars Pertaining to Hotness and Titilation (TAPTHAT).

3DS friend code: 5155 - 2983 - 3034

Around the Network

No. I like to own the things I buy and to truly own something you have to be able to touch it.

No, please give the consumer there rights to chose.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

No. I like the extras on the disk, not a bare bones version to save bandwidth.
Downloading a 40gb game would take 66% of my monthly bandwidth cap and take 9 hours on my 10mbps line under perfect conditions. (More like 20 hours using average download speeds)
And I've had all my consoles break this gen, re-downloading my psn library was a pain in the ass.

Even if all those 3 problems did not exist I still like to have a box I can put on the shelf with a manual I can hold. For example The Witcher 2 pc edition. The box from the store has a manual, nice thick game guide, bonus dvd+sountrack, foldout map, envelope with a letter and a coin and papercraft figurines. Online version has a bunch of pdf files, same price.

Nope, not going to happen anytime soon.

1. Size - Same reason we don't see digitally distributed movies being a major market - and much more so for games - they are growing in size, it is just much cheaper to have them on a physical medium. If someone had 40 games that were 25 Gigs, they would need a 1 TB hard drive just to store what they had, and that speaks nothing for the future or any additional storage requirements for anything else (saves, music, etc...).
2. Games make for even better gifts than movies do, and physical mediums are always a better gift than a digital one.

While I am sure digital distribution will continue to expand, I don't think it will ever replace physical distribution completely. The only way a digital distribution only situation will happen will be if games are no longer seen as valuable enough to give away as gifts - it happened to music - but the nature and price of games is somewhat higher than simple music distribution... And we all know how the music industry is now.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

No way. Games are huge, i would guess that nobody really has that much bandwidth, you harddrive dies, or cooks there goes all your games saves everything its just not going to happen.

Altho i may have downloaded NFS most wanted when i was bored.

I'm dreading the day, gaming will never be the same for me when this happens, I like to have my physical copy opening the game case when you get back from the store flicking through the manual with that fresh smell, I think when this happens what ever console I own I will play for the foreseeable future!! :(

MegaDrive08 said:
I'm dreading the day, gaming will never be the same for me when this happens, I like to have my physical copy opening the game case when you get back from the store flicking through the manual with that fresh smell, I think when this happens what ever console I own I will play for the foreseeable future!! :(

AGREE!

Another thing would be the disability of lending games to your friends. Gaming would just never be the same...

Somewhere down the road games will go digital - I'm certain of it. But it won't be this generation, or the next. I'm talking in the not-so-near-future.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

It will happen. But when it does, I will stop playing video games.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."