By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kid Icarus Uprising gets a 40/40 from Famitsu

Tagged games:

I´ve never been familiar with Famitsu and payed attention to their reviews, but I do remember that many years ago, a reasonable number of people on different gaming sites always seemed to respect their reviews and take their word for it.

Though, nowadays I don´t get the same feeling and it´s my impression, don´t know how correct it is, that Famitsu has fallen from grace for a lot of gamers.

Like I said, I´ve never been familiar with the publication, so is the above true?...were they ever highly respected?...when did they start losing credibility?

Around the Network
MrT-Tar said:
List of up to date perfect scores from Famitsu

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
- Soulcalibur (1999)
- Vagrant Story (2000)
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (2003)
- Nintendogs (2005)
- Final Fantasy XII (2006)
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008)
- Metal Gear Solid 4 (2008)
- 428 (2008)
- Dragon Quest IX (2009)
- Monster Hunter 3 (2009)
- Bayonetta (2009)
- New Super Mario Bros Wii (2009)
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010)
- Pokémon Black/White (2010)
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2012)
- Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012)

Those are the only ones that strike worry to me.

OT: That's great! Hopefully the sales will be as good as the score.

JGarret said:
I´ve never been familiar with Famitsu and payed attention to their reviews, but I do remember that many years ago, a reasonable number of people on different gaming sites always seemed to respect their reviews and take their word for it.

Though, nowadays I don´t get the same feeling and it´s my impression, don´t know how correct it is, that Famitsu has fallen from grace for a lot of gamers.

Like I said, I´ve never been familiar with the publication, so is the above true?...were they ever highly respected?...when did they start losing credibility?

I don't think they were respected... but their 40/40 were, because they were so few are rare.

Famitsu has to be the most unpredictable poop out there...

NintendoPie said:
MrT-Tar said:
List of up to date perfect scores from Famitsu

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
- Soulcalibur (1999)
- Vagrant Story (2000)
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (2003)
- Nintendogs (2005)
- Final Fantasy XII (2006)
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008)
- Metal Gear Solid 4 (2008)
- 428 (2008)
- Dragon Quest IX (2009)
- Monster Hunter 3 (2009)
- Bayonetta (2009)
- New Super Mario Bros Wii (2009)
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010)
- Pokémon Black/White (2010)
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2012)
- Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012)

Those are the only ones that strike worry to me.

OT: That's great! Hopefully the sales will be as good as the score.

MGS4 and Final Fantasy XII to me. Dragon Quest IX is also definately not a 10.  Nintendogs actually is one of the most deserving to me, because it does what it proposes beautifully.

Around the Network

I think one problem with famitsu is that their overall score out of 40 is derived from 4 individual scores out of 10. This could lead to some weird scores.

For example I personally believe that Skyward Sword is just about worthy of a 10/10, but not worthy of a 40/40. If each reviewer has the same opinion as me, they agree with their review score (obviously), but disagree with the overall score which is an outcome of their collective scores, even though they are all the same.

Honestly, I don't think any of those games deserve a 40/40.

Famitsu's scores aren't real reliable, though I can say I doubt a game that gets a 40/40 from them is a bad game (even if it's not your type of game). Which is a good sign for kid icarus.

I prefer the 8 Edge gave it than this score.

The problem is not their 40's, it's their 38s, 39s... you see some types of bombs there, it's hilarious. Dinasty Warrior, anyone?

Edge gave it an 8/10 if I'm not mistaken. will add a link just to be sure Edit: Link

yeah that surprised me as i did not think the game would be good

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(