By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fez's dev to Japanese dev At GDC: "Your games just suck"...Japanese Developer Leaves GDC

Xxain said:

LOL get outta here ...LOL

You know Im kidding right?   I love Japanese games to death, that was merely a satirical post.  I didnt think I had to come out and say this, but one of my coworkers was just like, "why are you saying such terrible things about japanese games you love them."  So I thought I would clarify. 

Around the Network
badgenome said:
happydolphin said:
badgenome said:
Totally uncalled for. (Unless that guy was Kojima.)

Or Tak Fuji

Agreed. Tak Fujii >>>>>>>> Tak Fuji.

Haha, forgive my japanese :)

@OP, so really, what are these brilliant games that came out in the West. From what I can tell off the top of my head, there are

Oblivion

Mass Effect

Halo

L.A. Noire

Red Dead Redemption

But look in these examples, they are all shooters or gun-related. I'm a blizzard fan, and yes SCII is a gem of a game with a different theme. But I mean in general, at least the Japanese have other themes to offer. I know I was amazed by the quality of Skyward Sword and Super Mario Galaxy. Sony made Gran Turismo, and are working on The Last Guardian. These games don't suck! On the contrary, they are big games. Others mentioned Demon Souls, there was Metal Gear earlier in the gen. Street Fighter IV is killer. Resident Evil 5 was big this gen.

If it weren't for Japanese devs, we'd mostly be blasting things away all the time. Who wants that, honestly?

Oh, and Assassin's Creed is made in Montreal, we're more european than American in style. Phil Fish is a dumb Montrealer who is completely out of touch with his community.

By the way, Japanese gaming FTW. Of course the West vastly improved its game this time around, but wow to say Jap games suck, just wow. I'd hate to say it, but the COD/Battlefield/GeOW direction the industry took this gen isn't my thing.

Zim said:

So basically you didn't read the original post? His point wasn't ''Japanese games have declined in quality'' His point was to humiliate a poor guy who asked a question and that ALL Japanese games suck. 

There is a lack of quantity? The PSP and DS have been SWAMPED with vast amounts of amazing Japanese games. Also what do series that used to get 80 getting 90% have to do with it? So your argument is that a smalll amount of franchises from a small amount of developers have slightly decreased in quality and this means that all Japanes games suck? 

I was unaware that a small amount of franchises was the entire output of the Japanese gaming industry. I will have to write to Platinum games, Grasshopper etc and let them know that there games suck because they aren't a sequel to Final Fantasy. 

I'm talking about lack of quality games compared to last gen. Feel free to do a list for 80+ or 75+ titles.
I also said BIG (in other words: multi million selling) franchises are decreasing in quality, sales or both

You brought up the 80%.

Plezbo said:
Xxain said:

LOL get outta here ...LOL

You know Im kidding right?   I love Japanese games to death, that was merely a satirical post.  I didnt think I had to come out and say this, but one of my coworkers was just like, "why are you saying such terrible things about japanese games you love them."  So I thought I would clarify. 

yea..i know your idding, that was pretty funny.

Barozi said:
Zim said:

So basically you didn't read the original post? His point wasn't ''Japanese games have declined in quality'' His point was to humiliate a poor guy who asked a question and that ALL Japanese games suck. 

There is a lack of quantity? The PSP and DS have been SWAMPED with vast amounts of amazing Japanese games. Also what do series that used to get 80 getting 90% have to do with it? So your argument is that a smalll amount of franchises from a small amount of developers have slightly decreased in quality and this means that all Japanes games suck? 

I was unaware that a small amount of franchises was the entire output of the Japanese gaming industry. I will have to write to Platinum games, Grasshopper etc and let them know that there games suck because they aren't a sequel to Final Fantasy. 

I'm talking about lack of quality games compared to last gen. Feel free to do a list for 80+ or 75+ titles.
I also said BIG (in other words: multi million selling) franchises are decreasing in quality, sales or both

You brought up the 80%.

Please point out where you say big as I can't see it
''trolling statement ? Yes

truth ? not quite but hardly false IMO''

I brought up 80% games. I didn't bring up that they had to be in franchises, you decided that the entire games industry was represented by only the big franchises. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network

Wow, great move there! Claiming that every Japanese game sucks, that's just brilliant.

Barozi said:

No idea what you're talking about. I clearly split quality and sales in every post I made.
I said some series have declined in sales, in quality or even both.

That's okay most of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about.  I know you and most people don't believe sales = quality.  Does it have some influence?  Sure does but it isn't the end all be all.  I was trying to take the sales = quality point of view and apply it to console sales.   Doesn't really make too much sense but in my brain at the time it did.

Zim said:
Barozi said:

You brought up the 80%.

Please point out where you say big as I can't see it
''trolling statement ? Yes

truth ? not quite but hardly false IMO''

I brought up 80% games. I didn't bring up that they had to be in franchises, you decided that the entire games industry was represented by only the big franchises. 

"Some very popular and critically acclaimed Japanese gaming series are dying in case of sales, quality or even both"
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4456605

You decided that I decided to dismiss new IPs. I never talked about them explicitly as I was concentrating on franchises to make easier comparisons between this gen and last gen. Still I would say last gen also had more great new Japanese IPs than this gen. So again, missing quantity.

You want to tell me a dozen of 500k sellers are more important than those established franchises I mentioned earlier with at least 2-3 million sales ? Of course gamers get the idea that Japanese games have fallen in quality when popular franchises are taking a hit left and right in either sales, quality (reputation) or both, because it's much easier to compare.

Barozi said:

"Some very popular and critically acclaimed Japanese gaming series are dying in case of sales, quality or even both"
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4456605

You decided that I decided to dismiss new IPs. I never talked about them explicitly as I was concentrating on franchises to make easier comparisons between this gen and last gen. Still I would say last gen also had more great new Japanese IPs than this gen. So again, missing quantity.

You want to tell me a dozen of 500k sellers are more important than those established franchises I mentioned earlier with at least 2-3 million sales ? Of course gamers get the idea that Japanese games have fallen in quality when popular franchises are taking a hit left and right in either sales, quality (reputation) or both, because it's much easier to compare.

As I pointed out your original post never mentions big games. You simply stated that it is hardly false that all japanese games suck. Whether established franchises or new IPs are more important in terms of sales is irrelevant. You were agreeing that all japanese games suck. I am pointing out that the Japanese games industry is still pumping out huge amounts of fantastic games.

If you want to cherry pick games then we can make any statement we like about industries and support it. 

You agreed with the guys original point and I am challenging that. I find agreeing with a guy who says things such as ''Your [Japanese] games suck'', ''sorry japanese guy but your country's games are F***ing terrible now'' pretty offensive. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Team Meat and the Fez dev seem to have a lot in common.