By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Top 8 games that were wasted on the Wii

TWRoO said:
maxnyc said:
This list is badly thought out, and mostly it winds up being - "this was a wasted opportunity because the graphics are not HD". My list would sound more like this-

1. Red Steel 1 was a major wasted opportunity, not because the graphics were mediocre, but because the controls were broken (& it negatively effected peoples opinion of motion controls for shooters). By the time Retro got FPS motion control right with Metroid Prime 3 (which was NOT a wasted opportunity at all), the damage had already been done in the mindsets of many gamers.

2. Zack & Wiki, which was an amazing game, but a big missed opportunity. The game utilized motion controls well, and also had fresh gameplay, but it was poorly marketed & had a bad title. The title & look of the game (& box art) made it seem like a little kids game, even though it had sophisticated puzzles and gameplay for adults. The title itself- "Zack & Wiki: The Quest for Barbaros treasure" was a real stinker, and almost definitely negatively effected sales of the game.

3. Wii Sports Resort, which introduced the motion control plus. But Nintendo should have added competitive online multiplayer (it actually should have had that in Wii Sports 1). If Nintendo had embraced online multiplayer for the series, it would have added a lot to the longevity of the series. Wii Sports could have even entered the world of competitive gaming, but online was always a key missing component (for tons of other wii games too).

4. Zelda Twilight Princess, was surely great because its Zelda, but lets be honest - this was a gamecube game with motion control tacked on at the end. Unfortunately it set a precedent for basically throwing on motion controls to previously released games, instead of fully developing from the ground-up (look at the difference in Skyward Sword). I understand why Nintendo did it, because of the timing of the release, but it may have been a somewhat short-sighted decision in the end.

5. Starfox was a missed opportunity for the simple fact that it literally missed this generation of nintendo. It could have probably sold well, & help satisfy a slightly more hardcore gamer. You can add F-Zero to the list as well. Or even Luigis Mansion, imagine how cool that could have been with the wiimote. There were definitely missed opportunities with other Nintendo franchises on the wii.

6. Xenoblade & Last Story, were both missed opportunities because of the major delays in releasing them outside Japan. Sure its great that theyre finally going to be released over here, but seriously these would have probably helped way more last year. The Wii U is around the corner, and the 3ds has some great games, so many people will have less motivation to pick up these JRPGS.

There are probably more, but thats all i can think of right now...

Don't worry about RolStoppable (the thread creator) he is the VGChartz clown and likes to get a rise out of people. However I started to read your post thinking it was going to be a whiny retort about how much you love the games Rol mentioned, but find myself agreeing with most of what you said. There have definitely been a lot of missed opportunities with the Wii, Wii Sports Resort not having an online component in particular bothered me, in fact it is the main reason I didn't pick it up at launch, instead I bought it second hand 2 years after release.

I second this. Everything maxnyc said sounds like my opinion. And only Nintendo is really to blame because they were kind of setting an example for the 3rd parties by being poopish at first. Tacking on last minute motion control. Allowing shovelware to take over. etc...

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
o_O.Q said:
i like how this joke thread devolved into some wii owners bashing the other systems and attacking anyone who doesn't prefer motion controls

Only because some types of people like to bash motion controls irrationally.

this is the post that triggered that response

"Skyward Sword and Prime 3 would most likely have been inferior on PS360 due to being handcuffed to dual analogue controls"

wasn't that guy bashing analogue controls irrationally along with some of the other guys that jump on the1?

now sure it could be said that its his opinion, but that point goes both ways

o_O.Q said:

"Skyward Sword and Prime 3 would most likely have been inferior on PS360 due to being handcuffed to dual analogue controls"

wasn't that guy bashing analogue controls irrationally along with some of the other guys that jump on the1?

I haven't played Skyward Sword so I'm not too sure on this, but I believe Skyward Sword uses the Wiimote to allow Link's sword to precisely and smoothly immitate the movements of the Wiimote, so he does have a point (whoever said that). He didn't seem to bash dual anogue controls imo. He only acknowledged two games who's core elements are dependent upon motion controls.

Jay520 said:
o_O.Q said:

I haven't played Skyward Sword so I'm not too sure on this, but I believe Skyward Sword uses the Wiimote to allow Link's sword to precisely and smoothly immitate the movements of the Wiimote, so he does have a point (whoever said that). He didn't seem to bash dual anogue controls imo. He only acknowledged two games who's core elements are dependent upon motion controls.

not necessairly it all depends on your preference, zelda and metroid have been done in the past with analogue controls... so its up to the individual to determine which control scheme is best for them

in one situation one says motion controls

and the other says analogue controls

o_O.Q said:
Jay520 said:
o_O.Q said:

not necessairly it all depends on your preference, zelda and metroid have been done in the past with analogue controls... so its up to the individual to determine which control scheme is best for them

and the other says analogue control

Past Zelda games involved pressing a button to swing your sword in a set direction. Twilight Princess had basic motion controls that simply replicated that, but the motion controls in Skyward Sword allow for multiple directions to attack. Choosing the right angle to attack from is the entire basis of the combat system in SS, reducing it back to pressing a button would take away that freedom and change the entire emphasis of the game.

VGChartz

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:

and the other says analogue controls

You really don't have any clue what you're talking about. :) Not for Zelda Skyward Sword that's for sure.

Jay was bang on. Skyward sword, to be the game it truly was, required full Motion+ support. The combat would have been a completely different thing without it. The boss battles would have had an entirely different architecture. Most ennemies would have had completely different attack/defense designs.

If you're talking about TP, you're right it can be mapped to analog. But not Skyward Sword. I'll give you but one example:

Beamos are multilayered totem-pole like objects that are made up of different electrified parts. These enemies can be defeated by slicing apart different sections of their body. The beamos will shoot out a laser beam from its eye, but this attack can be deflected using the shield.

Read More about Beamos at the Zelda Dungeon Wiki.

The whole ennemy walkthrough you can find here:

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Zelda14-skyward-sword-enemies.php

Horizontal slice, vertical slice, diagonal slice, thrust and Skyward pose. Good luck doing those individually with a single button. To say nothing of the rotating eyes .

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Come to think of it o.O_Q, it could have been possible. It would've been just really awkward. And for forward thrusts, the press of a button is overly simplistic in comparison to actually getting the forward thrust motion right...

But they could have. Mapping the right analog to x-y axis sword movements. But Z would have been impossible except with the PS3/360 analog click, which is, really, overly simplistic in light of SS's control difficulty (which made it more challenging, but also more interesting to play).

That's from a control design perspective, doable but not really interesting. Much more interesting with the Motion+ it is imho. But above and beyond that, Link has increasingly become about You, the player, being in the place of Link, doing what he is doing, living what he is living. To actually stand up, smite with your shield, swing in different angles and directions, and get into the action. That would have been a binding experience given motion controls, from an immersion standpoint.

Viper1 said:
Horizontal slice, vertical slice, diagonal slice, thrust and Skyward pose. Good luck doing those individually with a single button. To say nothing of the rotating eyes .

I know it's a completely different thing and experience, but it's fully possible using a control stick. Buttons are way more limited.

milkyjoe said:

Past Zelda games involved pressing a button to swing your sword in a set direction. Twilight Princess had basic motion controls that simply replicated that, but the motion controls in Skyward Sword allow for multiple directions to attack. Choosing the right angle to attack from is the entire basis of the combat system in SS, reducing it back to pressing a button would take away that freedom and change the entire emphasis of the game.

But the addition of motion controls actually limited other combat factors such as moving around. As a result, the combat pace suffered dramatically in Skyward Sword.

(And the parts where trolls and other enemies held their weapons in different directions and Link had to swing his sword in a certain angle looked ridiculous from a combad perspective. Simply casual all-around)