By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Top 8 games that were wasted on the Wii

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:
Byclop said:
2 things:

imo Dualanalog is sooooooo dated and feels unnatural, IR pointing is much more FUN since requires REAL pointing skill

90% of Wii games are shovelware, TRUE
Wii has 2400 games, the 10% is 240 games that are not shovelware
Im pretty sure that most of us havent played 240 games in our whole life
That argument is just STUPID,
U couldnt even play every good game released on the Wii

depends on what YOU think is good, IMHO the only good games ive yet to play on Wii is Xenoblade and Last Story. For me Ive played all the good Wii games, at least the ones i wanted to anyway

There's a difference between what one thinks is so-so, and what one thinks is shovelware. Interestingly enough, I have the same opinion of HD games. Many that are super-loved or hyped I go meh. EVEN God of War, Killzone, Gears of War, and the likes.

Funny how everyone sees things their own way. I'll take Metroid Prime Corruption a million times before I touch Gears.

no offense to you sir, but its hard to take your opinion seriously when you dont even own the systems that those "meh" games are on. I actually own Wii and a PS3 so when i say i played all the games that I think were good on Wii you better believe it.

Around the Network
oniyide said:

no offense to you sir, but its hard to take your opinion seriously when you dont even own the systems that those "meh" games are on. I actually own Wii and a PS3 so when i say i played all the games that I think were good on Wii you better believe it.

The fact that I don't own a PS3 (or Xbox360, have no idea why you omitted that), doesn't mean I haven't played those games. I have been exposed to these games at my friends' houses, how's that?

They are meh to me, it's a question of taste, Oni. Very meh. Had they not been I would probably had bought that Xbox arcade.

Having said that, there are a few games that I do covet on the consoles, but they are not part of the meh games. These include Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Oblivion, Mass Effect and Halo (mostly). Hope that's good enough.

(Edited to change the tone, I was out of whack)

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:

The fact that I don't own a PS3 (or Xbox360, have no idea why you omitted that), doesn't mean I haven't played those games. I have been exposed to these games at my friends' houses, how's that?

They are meh to me, it's a question of taste, Oni. Very meh. Had they not been I would probably had bought that Xbox arcade.

Having said that, there are a few games that I do covet on the consoles, but they are not part of the meh games. These include Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Oblivion, Mass Effect and Halo (mostly). Hope that's good enough.

Honestly, no. I find that people who use those "HD games are meh" argument are just saying so in defense of their precious Wii, knowing full well that their exposure to those games is limited at best. There is a big difference between going to a friend's house and sitting down and "playing" the game for a few minutes and actually having the game for an hour or two and giving your own judegements, hell I thought ME2 was very meh, when I played it at a friend's house and then I actually got the damn thing and I never looked back. I will always take the opinions of a person who does not own the system games they are critizing with a grain of salt. 

But, you dont strike me as that crazy type so I believe what you say. TBH, I think Gran Turismo series is well done but meh, yup a Sony fan that doesnt care about their most popular franchise, lunacy.

oniyide said:
happydolphin said:

Honestly, no. I find that people who use those "HD games are meh" argument are just saying so in defense of their precious Wii, knowing full well that their exposure to those games is limited at best.

You are assuming. I have seen the games, I am simply not a fan. Why would you not trust me at my word. If I were a troll, you would have seen so a long time ago. I'll go into your reasoning below.

There is a big difference between going to a friend's house and sitting down and "playing" the game for a few minutes and actually having the game for an hour or two and giving your own judegements, hell I thought ME2 was very meh, when I played it at a friend's house and then I actually got the damn thing and I never looked back. I will always take the opinions of a person who does not own the system games they are critizing with a grain of salt. 

I sat down on many occasions and played COD. Though it is a good game, and would buy it on an HD console had I one, it isn't something I would buy a console for. Gears, I hate those kinds of games, guys with overly big arms killing aliens. I've been exposed to it and toyed with it on two occasions and was simply not interested, period! God of war looked like an amazing game, until I saw how ridiculously violent Kratos was, and I said: "Not for me". Meh! Graphics are undeniably amazing, the gameplay looked stupid (hack and slash-ish). That was my judgement of the game.

I just (like just now) turned around to ask my colleague (my friend at who's house I watch play) his opinion on it, and he said "Yeah, it's a game where you go around and kill whatever's in your path." I asked all kinds of details regarding combos and tactics. He told me, it's circle, circle square, square, square, triangle, and it's all different names and forms to do pretty much the same thing. Hade's Claws, Double chain-swords, electricity and hercule's punch. The only diff between them is that only one will work on a specific enemy. Then, there are tools, like a head-lantern. But none of the tools involve intensive puzzle-solving. The only part of the game that requires advanced tactics (according to my bud) is against the bosses on harder difficulty, whereby you need to learn their patterns, that's it. So appart from the bosses, the cool storyline and the glorious graphics, the game is meh and hack-and-slash, just what I thought.

But, you dont strike me as that crazy type so I believe what you say. TBH, I think Gran Turismo series is well done but meh, yup a Sony fan that doesnt care about their most popular franchise, lunacy.

I am not that type, and I'm glad you see that. I usually have good judgement on these things since I, like you, have been playing games for as long as I can remember. And yeah, I know what you mean about a main franchise not being liked. I'm not a huge fan of Animal Crossing, Nintendogs or WarioWare, but I'm definitely a Nintendo fan.

EBWOP: Don't get me wrong, I would love to enjoy the cinematic and engaging boss-fights of GoW. But due to the hardcore violence and all, I refuse. Those are great things in a game, and we all remember great boss fights from games like Donkey Kong Country or Zelda. Since the GoW boss fights are good, it would be worth playing a game just for that. But as for the hack'n'slash portions of the game, for me, it's meh.

Around the Network

I dont like Killzone 3, its boring (played for the 2 hours in co op)
i dont like Gears of war, controls are clunky, repetitive gameplay....(played the first for a couple of hours and tried the 2nd one)
i dont like wRPGs (mass effect, elder scroll, etc) boring games, boring stories
i dont like COD, the single player mode is ridiculously dated and its repetitive (played COD 2, 3, MW, MW3 for more than an hour each)
i dont like Assasin,s Creed series, akward controls, no depth in combat, repetitive(played the first and second for about 3 h)
i dont like Crysis 2, no depth, linear (played for an h)
i dont like beat em ups like G of War, Devil may cry, Bayonetta...etc. repetitive games better play Double Dragon or STreets of rage

I love Zelda games, i love Metroid Prime series, i like Red Steel 2 very much, jRPGs shine on Wii (Arc rise fantasia, Xenoblade, Last story, Monster Hunter, ...) i love PES on Wii, the controls add so much to the experience,
Mario Galaxy games are good fun (not as good as 64 and Sunshine imo), Mario Kart Wii is insanely addictive, Wii sports Resort is awesome

Wii > PS360 anyday............ive been playing videogames for about 20 years, im not a "casual" gamer, actually most of the PS360 owners i know are casual gamers, they play FIFA, GT5 and FPS like COD and not very often........

I get what u r saying Byclop.I own a Wii and PS3 but mainly only use the PS3 for bluerays,and my Wii is dust free (fancy that).Whilst i have enjoyed most of the PS3 games ive played like Arkham city,Rage etc.It doesnt quite have the magic of my old Wii.Good shout on Red steel 2 i really rate that game,and Kudos to being a Mario sunshine fan (a game i still play to this day on my Wii).I too have been gaming for years, since the ZX Spectrum(1984) days in fact,and im deffo not a casual gamer.

I have no idea what your trying to say but Playing Super Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Zelda Skyward Sword, and Xenoblade Chronicles those games are not wasted. I played those games over 50 Hours except Xenoblade which I only played for 14 hours.

"Nintendo fan for life"

This list is badly thought out, and mostly it winds up being - "this was a wasted opportunity because the graphics are not HD". My list would sound more like this-

1. Red Steel 1 was a major wasted opportunity, not because the graphics were mediocre, but because the controls were broken (& it negatively effected peoples opinion of motion controls for shooters). By the time Retro got FPS motion control right with Metroid Prime 3 (which was NOT a wasted opportunity at all), the damage had already been done in the mindsets of many gamers.

2. Zack & Wiki, which was an amazing game, but a big missed opportunity. The game utilized motion controls well, and also had fresh gameplay, but it was poorly marketed & had a bad title. The title & look of the game (& box art) made it seem like a little kids game, even though it had sophisticated puzzles and gameplay for adults. The title itself- "Zack & Wiki: The Quest for Barbaros treasure" was a real stinker, and almost definitely negatively effected sales of the game.

3. Wii Sports Resort, which introduced the motion control plus. But Nintendo should have added competitive online multiplayer (it actually should have had that in Wii Sports 1). If Nintendo had embraced online multiplayer for the series, it would have added a lot to the longevity of the series. Wii Sports could have even entered the world of competitive gaming, but online was always a key missing component (for tons of other wii games too).

4. Zelda Twilight Princess, was surely great because its Zelda, but lets be honest - this was a gamecube game with motion control tacked on at the end. Unfortunately it set a precedent for basically throwing on motion controls to previously released games, instead of fully developing from the ground-up (look at the difference in Skyward Sword). I understand why Nintendo did it, because of the timing of the release, but it may have been a somewhat short-sighted decision in the end.

5. Starfox was a missed opportunity for the simple fact that it literally missed this generation of nintendo. It could have probably sold well, & help satisfy a slightly more hardcore gamer. You can add F-Zero to the list as well. Or even Luigis Mansion, imagine how cool that could have been with the wiimote. There were definitely missed opportunities with other Nintendo franchises on the wii.

6. Xenoblade & Last Story, were both missed opportunities because of the major delays in releasing them outside Japan. Sure its great that theyre finally going to be released over here, but seriously these would have probably helped way more last year. The Wii U is around the corner, and the 3ds has some great games, so many people will have less motivation to pick up these JRPGS.

There are probably more, but thats all i can think of right now...

The OP has been too generous. How about New Super Mario Bros Wii and Smash Bros Brawl ? Those were clearly wasted on Wii. No motion controls and SD. I mean Mario Bros Wii without online? They were clearly ripping you off.