By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is your perception of India?

there woman are hot and they like spicy food.

there also very smart.

Around the Network

It's quite interesting and fun to read everyone's thoughts. I was born in Bombay (Mumbai) but was raised in Belgium and the US, but I do visit India quite frequently and identify myself as being Indian. Mind you, I still feel like an outsider every time I visit, especially when I open my mouth and my American accent comes flopping out!

It's a lovely place though, full of culture and people with actual values, which is becoming increasingly rare in this day and age. Yes a lot of them are quite backwards in their beliefs which does lead to problems like misogyny, tolerance, corruption, etc. However, considering most of them receive no education whatsoever, I think for the most part Indians are quite friendly and open. Especially when you think of countries like France and the UK which are stereotypically known as being quite humorless and devoid of warmth.

True India has a lot of problems, but it's got a population of 1 billion plus, many that need to be educated. And it's a democracy, so no heavy-handed rule like in China. I'm sure that in a few decades we will see a decrease in a lot of the negatives associated with the country, and hopefully some more wealth sharing and less propaganda.

Also, to the (surprisingly) few idiotic comments being made regarding religion and castes: the country is a BIG melting pot, and it is quite accepting of differences, so look to your own supposed 'developed' nations and pick at it's flaws before delineating an entire nation. Neither America nor the UK are ideal benchmarks when it comes to tolerance and changing the status quo, so please don't act like where YOU are from is some god-send. I know many Indians who have taken one look at some of these Western countries and have run screaming back to their homeland. No offense intended to my fellow Americans and Brits :)

justinian said:
snakenobi said:

mrstickball said:
I'll throw out some of my perceptions:

1. A lot of Indians that I've met with have a horrible mindset when it comes to IT. I complain about it all the time to co-workers. Just like Pakistanis, Indians are not very creative. They will not bother to iterate on anything by themselves. Its almost slave-like. Very aggravating to deal with.

BINGO

indians are not atall intelligent,they jst follow others and work hard like slaves

4. I wish your country would stop murdering Christians in some areas. Not saying all Hindus do it, but when I read about people being murdered for their religious beliefs, I am very saddened to hear it. Especially when many of the missionaries are trying to bring education and help to the people.

that happens rarely

also conversion by money is banned in india cause catholic and islamic missionaries forward their ideas

education isn't what you think,its like you said above.education in india is jst to educate people to fight towards a particular cause not to have free thinking which education should really be

Don't know if it means much but isn't India on the US "bad list" of countries when it comes to religious tolerance.

According to Persecution.com, its on the list of hostile nations:

http://www.persecution.com/public/restrictednations.aspx?clickfrom=bWFpbl9tZW51

Thats not the worst tier, but 2nd worst.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

snakenobi said:

mrstickball said:

1. A lot of Indians that I've met with have a horrible mindset when it comes to IT. I complain about it all the time to co-workers. Just like Pakistanis, Indians are not very creative. They will not bother to iterate on anything by themselves. Its almost slave-like. Very aggravating to deal with.

BINGO

indians are not atall intelligent,they jst follow others and work hard like slaves

4. I wish your country would stop murdering Christians in some areas. Not saying all Hindus do it, but when I read about people being murdered for their religious beliefs, I am very saddened to hear it. Especially when many of the missionaries are trying to bring education and help to the people.

that happens rarely

also conversion by money is banned in india cause catholic and islamic missionaries forward their ideas

education isn't what you think,its like you said above.education in india is jst to educate people to fight towards a particular cause not to have free thinking which education should really be

1)Ok, Im an Indian, and im in IT, and I know exactly what youre talking about, and I'll tell you why that happens. I have seen perfectly good ideas proposed by our guys shot down during a requirement gathering phase by our honored clients(it came from an Indian after all!), only to be requested again towards the end of build.  Its honestly not worth the hassle.

4) Since I keep track of the news as much as possible , i can assure you incidents of missionaries getting killed in India are rarer than news of indian students getting stabbed to death in places like Australia or the UK.

as for religious intolerance, I have never, in my life, heard of a brahmin trying to convert a person to Hinduism. Isnt trying to convert people to your own religion the highest statement of religious intolerance of them all?

justinian said:
snakenobi said:

mrstickball said:

BINGO

that happens rarely

Don't know if it means much but isn't India on the US "bad list" of countries when it comes to religious tolerance.

what does US doing anything have to do with what happens in india

if USA had its way,it would put all countries under watch

Around the Network
AllfatherStarr said:
snakenobi said:

mrstickball said:

BINGO

that happens rarely

1)Ok, Im an Indian, and im in IT, and I know exactly what youre talking about, and I'll tell you why that happens. I have seen perfectly good ideas proposed by our guys shot down during a requirement gathering phase by our honored clients(it came from an Indian after all!), only to be requested again towards the end of build.  Its honestly not worth the hassle.

its mostly because of poverty,people's mind is on money rather than progress

4) Since I keep track of the news as much as possible , i can assure you incidents of missionaries getting killed in India are rarer than news of indian students getting stabbed to death in places like Australia or the UK.

+1

as for religious intolerance, I have never, in my life, heard of a brahmin trying to convert a person to Hinduism. Isnt trying to convert people to your own religion the highest statement of religious intolerance of them all?

exatly

also the fact that chritian missionary came in India and converted a bunch of very very poor people and educated them to follow missionary christian ideas rather than true free minded philosophical education

christians in india try to replicate western culture.as they think they are of same religion so they will have same standards

and as india is conservative country,christians come out as pretentious people

its not chritianity which is at fault,it is how the religion is used to create problem and wrong values

Perhaps I should clarify on my earlier slavery comment. I did not mean to say that slavery was accepted. However, I have read too many news reports of debt or sexual based repression to look upon India favorably. And India has a reputation as the debt slavery capital of the world.

Love and tolerate.

@snakenobi
Can you please stop harping on that point over and over? Of course peoples minds are motivated by money, but how do they not participate in the nation's progress? Makes me feel as though youre not aware of the taxation laws in India. If your idea of progress is launching satellites into outer space, or making breakthrough drugs or scientific discoveries, well, I have news for you. Only a tiny fraction of ANY country's population works on that. The others HAVE to be the drones. A Business Analyst working out of the US is no less fo a corporate drone than the lowly IT guy in India. I hope you get that

AllfatherStarr said:
snakenobi said:

mrstickball said:

BINGO

that happens rarely

1) I can somewhat understand that. But the part that it becomes a major, major flaw is in Q&A. From my experiences, such rigid thinking results in horrendous issues during Q&A. Possible issues with the development & design of a project are not dealt with early, and become huge, time-eating issues later on.

4) In regards to religious intolerance, you're very wrong. Intolerance is where you do not permit dissenting views from being presented, and the exchange of ideas and ideals. Intolerance is where differing views are not respected or allowed. If intolerance was defined as trying to convert people, then countries like North Korea, Soviet Russia and Communist China would be the most free, tolerant societies in recent memory. But of course, the reality is that they have traditionally been the exact opposite.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

AllfatherStarr said:
@snakenobi
Can you please stop harping on that point over and over? Of course peoples minds are motivated by money, but how do they not participate in the nation's progress? Makes me feel as though youre not aware of the taxation laws in India. If your idea of progress is launching satellites into outer space, or making breakthrough drugs or scientific discoveries, well, I have news for you. Only a tiny fraction of ANY country's population works on that. The others HAVE to be the drones. A Business Analyst working out of the US is no less fo a corporate drone than the lowly IT guy in India. I hope you get that

i jst replied to you,was't harping over and over again

also progress should be of techinical and technological fields not nation.India is a democratic country not a communitic state where progress of nation is main goal

what about taxation laws do you want to debate?

rarely few business guys in india have any vision - i can name only one TATA.

all others are Baniyas and Bankers and corrupted politicians with sole aim of money changing and profit without work

and stop comparing business guy in USA with IT guy in india.I never brought that comparision.

this is also one of the main reason india is shitty.that we compare and attack others like pakistan to make ourselves look good and shows insecurity that a person has by attacking others and not correcting their own faults.