By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Santorum will unmarry all gay couples if he's elected

I really don't like Santorum for saying that (and a bunch of other crazy stuff) but what really gets to me is that he's saying this to get votes which means there's actually some people who are so fucking insecure about themselves that they can't sleep at night knowing there are same-sex couples married in their country.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Is it even legal to say something like that in US? in Uk they would have been banned.

Looking at all these candidtaes and listening to them I am so lucky to not leave in the US.

I mean Sarah Palin knew about foreign politics because on a clear sky day she could see Russia from her back Window.

Serously?

Switch!!!

If a politician in germany would say something like that his career would be ruined. Frightening that there are people in US who elect such foolish man.

fedfed said:
Is it even legal to say something like that in US? in Uk they would have been banned.

Looking at all these candidtaes and listening to them I am so lucky to not leave in the US.

I mean Sarah Palin knew about foreign politics because on a clear sky day she could see Russia from her back Window.

Serously?

she didnt say that.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

TruckOSaurus said:
I really don't like Santorum for saying that (and a bunch of other crazy stuff) but what really gets to me is that he's saying this to get votes which means there's actually some people who are so fucking insecure about themselves that they can't sleep at night knowing there are same-sex couples married in their country.

It's not that they're insecure. It's because they've been raised to believe that homosexuality is Wrong and Immoral.

Which is fucking idiotic of course, but that's the reason why they're voting for this guy. Personally I kinda hope he wins the Republican nomination because he doesn't stand a chance with a wider electorate.

@Happysquirrel. You're only focusing on sexual attraction and ignoring romantic attraction. That is a key difference between sexual fetishes and sexuality.

Around the Network
fedfed said:

Serously?

Freedom of speech. He can say things like that all he wants. The consequence of him doing so is that the large majority of Americans will view him negatively, and will not vote for him to be the next President. As far as I know, the primaries really don't seem to be helping the Republican candidates win over any moderates, because they have to suck up to the extremists who actually go and vote.

Also, to the best of my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong), Sarah Palin did not say that. Not to say that I like her, but... 'We have trade missions back and forth. We-- we do-- it's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where-- where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is-- from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to-- to our state." Link.

As to the topic itself, I really wish this guy would drop out of the race. Why he wants to dictate this area of peoples lives (as well as other areas) is beyond me. Why he thinks that he is right to do so just baffles me. It harms no one for a gay couple to be married.

fedfed said:

Serously?

she never said that. SNL did.

and at least she had executive experience unlike the current guy in office, who had held no real job his entire life, nor ran anything, much less a state.

dany612 said:
HappySqurriel said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I guess I used the wrong word for it. My point was though that being gay is not always something you choose, so punishing people who got born in a different way than others would be just like hating on people for being born black or white or whatever.

You get my point.

Even if it is not something you have direct control over, discrimination against people who are gay is still substantially different from discrimination against someone for race ...

We live in a society where people are expected to have control over their sexual predilections, and to only express them in private consensual and legal settings. While a paedophile may argue he has not choice except to be attracted to children, or a rapist may argue he has no control over being compelled to violently assault women, we expect them to have control over these sexual urges and not to express them because there is no legal consensual way they can express these attractions. We expect people to demonstrate restraint in when they express their attractions and with whom they express them; after all we don't have a BSDM pride week, and we wouldn't claim that someone should discuss what it means to be a Furry to young children.

In many ways it is completely fair to discriminate against many homosexuals (as it would be to discriminate against many heterosexuals) because they seem to have no ability to show restraint is when, where and with whom they express their sexuality with.

Being black is not a private portion of your life which you have discression over where you express it, it is something that people know the moment they see you.

So it's okay to compare homosexuality with paedophilia and rapists but it's not okay to compare homosexuality with race? First of all there is a big difference between homosexuality and the circumstanes of paedophilia and the acts of sexual assualt.  You are close minded on many social issues. There is a difference between being homosexual and acting out what appears to be homosexual. Any straight person can do something homosexual and that is probably something they have control over. A homosexual man, however, does not have the resistance from loving someone of the same gender. Homosexuality is science backed and is constantly investigated. They are not out killing or abusing anyone! When one crosses that line that is when you can juxtapose these two!

If you don't understand what I'm saying, maybe you should re-read it ...

All forms of sexual attraction (whether they're accepted by society or not) can be claimed to be driven by factors outside of the control of the individual; and people could claim to be "born that way" regardless of whether their sexuality is socially acceptable or not. Since we readily are willing to imprison people based on them acting on urges that they claim to have not control on being that they were "born that way" means that being born with particular preferences is entirely irrelevant to whether something should be considered discrimination.

In contrast, it is completely justified to say that what consenting adults do in private should not be a cause for discrimination because it is not the concern of anyone else. People should not be discriminated against regardless of who their partner is as long as they're legally allowed to consent; and what is publicly acceptable between heterosexual couples now should be acceptable to any two partners.

At the same time, what is unacceptable to heterosexual partners in public should also be unacceptable to homosexual partners in public. A gay man who flashes men is just as much of a sex offender as a man who flashes women; and a gay man giving another man a blow-job in public is just as much of an illegal lewd act as a woman giving a man a blow-job in public.

insomniac17 said:
fedfed said:

Serously?

Freedom of speech. He can say things like that all he wants. The consequence of him doing so is that the large majority of Americans will view him negatively, and will not vote for him to be the next President. As far as I know, the primaries really don't seem to be helping the Republican candidates win over any moderates, because they have to suck up to the extremists who actually go and vote.

Also, to the best of my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong), Sarah Palin did not say that. Not to say that I like her, but... 'We have trade missions back and forth. We-- we do-- it's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where-- where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is-- from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to-- to our state." Link.

As to the topic itself, I really wish this guy would drop out of the race. Why he wants to dictate this area of peoples lives (as well as other areas) is beyond me. Why he thinks that he is right to do so just baffles me. It harms no one for a gay couple to be married.

Does this freedom of speech allow people in the US to be racist? Could he say, 'I wish to annul the 13th-15th amendments and force those inferior blacks back into slavery?'

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

bazmeistergen said:

Does this freedom of speech allow people in the US to be racist? Could he say, 'I wish to annul the 13th-15th amendments and force those inferior blacks back into slavery?'

"Rick Santorum says he'll try to unmarry all of them if he's elected president." He's allowed to say that all he wants. He can say that he wants to get rid of the 13th-15th amendments and force those inferior blacks back into slavery. If, by some miracle, he managed to be elected, he would not be allowed to do such a thing. The Supreme Court wouldn't stand for it, Congress wouldn't stand for it, the States wouldn't stand for it, and the American people wouldn't stand for it. He can say that he is racist, homophobic, and that any non white, blond haired, blue eyed person should be subservient to the master race, but people will not respond well, and he won't be elected. And even if he was, he would never be able to get such a thing to pass.

The point is that he can say all of those things. He has a right to. But the consequence of him doing so is that he won't be elected, and people will be very angry at him for it. The quote... I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it comes to mind. It is when he takes action to carry out what he says (in cases like this) where the problems arise.

"Criticism of the government and advocacy of unpopular ideas that people may find distasteful or against public policy, such as racism, sexism, and other hate speech are almost always permitted." (Yes, from Wikipedia)