By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Games to Buy - Game Sugguestions for New Xbox 360 Owners

Ok,
Oblivion is the must have on that list. Obliviously.

Great list btw. It made me check out:

Kameo and
Dead Rising
(by downloading the demos), and buy'em both and I love love love them! Super gems. They don't look like launch/early gen titles at all.

But I need some more info about:

Viva Pinata,
only has a semi-demo to download. Could MrStickball (or one with similar tastes) tell me a bit more about it? Like, could my mom or papa get into it, and understand/get it? Has it messy graphics (like super fast, confusing stuff á la Sonic or Mario. I hate that)? Is it a multi-hour campaign, or has multiple scenarios, or is it just "arcade replay" gameplay?

Condemned,
Is it more spookier than Dead Rising? Gameplay length?

EDIT: Stupid me, answers for Condemned were already in the list.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

But I need some more info about:

Viva Pinata,
only has a semi-demo to download. Could MrStickball (or one with similar tastes) tell me a bit more about it? Like, could my mom or papa get into it, and understand/get it? Has it messy graphics (like super fast, confusing stuff á la Sonic or Mario. I hate that)? Is it a multi-hour campaign, or has multiple scenarios, or is it just "arcade replay" gameplay?

Condemned,
Is it more spookier than Dead Rising? Gameplay length?

EDIT: Stupid me, answers for Condemned were already in the list.

Viva Pinata -

It's a ultra-cute game with adult-oriented gameplay. Ever play the old Maxis game "Sim Farm"? You create a virtual farm and forest to raise creatures on. It's not too fast paced. The "campaign" is an open ended game like a game of Sim City - you progress as long as you like. You eventually keep creating new farms when you learn new techniques and get level progressions. It's kind of difficult to explain, in the fact there are no set levels. You just keep playing and unlocking new creatures by growing proper foods and lands, until you "beat" the game by doing everything. It's not too fast, nor too slow - I do believe you can speed/slow the growth rates of everything.

Condemned -

It's vastly scarier than Dead Rising, which was mostly a zombie spoof. Condemned, atleast to me, is one of the scariest games EVER created. It still shows off some of the greatest aspects of next-gen gaming: advanced lighting effects, great sound effects, and a mature, ultra-engrossing plotline. Combat is very similar to Oblivion. It's around 15hrs. Great buy for $20, which is the going rate for it new or used.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I heard eternal sonata was a good rpg, have you tried it yet?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Yep. I beat the main quest a few months ago, and am still finishing up the optional ultra-dungeon before I replay the second quest.

Eternal Sonata is a real mixed bag of an RPG. I'd give it a 8.25 overall rating:

Pros:

- Quite possibly the best cell shading. Ever. Fantastic graphics
- Battle system is very unique. Kind of like a turn based Kingdom Hearts. Gets real awesome at the end of the game with 6-attack Harmony Chains (which do around 500,000 damage per chain)
- Decent bit of gameplay. 1st playthrough is 30hrs + 2nd playthrough has alternate stuff added in.
- Music is top-notch. Some of the best JRPG music out there.

Cons:

- Story is confusing, and kind of dumb at times (but also good at times)
- Voice acting is marginal. But the Japanese track is pretty good.
- Dungeons are too linear, and simple for the most part.
- Eventually, the game winds up being "too stale" to be a top-tier JRPG.

IMO, it's definately a must-buy at a budget price....But at full-price it's iffy. Some people love the game - the combat is definately different and good in the beginning, but the game overall lacks the polish of a AAA RPG like Blue Dragon (say what you will, but BD's production values are really, really good).

now all we need is a DO NOT BUY list.
Also, lost odessy is coming out, think it'll be worth a buy?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

Condemned is 20$ now new at EB/Gamestop.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Strategy - of course I think Lost Odyssey is a must-buy. If your a JRPG fan, it looks to be better than all JRPGs made upto now in this generation, and might wind up rivaling FFXIII when everything's said and done.

anyone know the MSRP on Gears of War (canadian prices please), I'm thinking of (pardon the pun) pulling the trigger on this great shooter, but I'm not looking to spend much over say $30. If its much more than $30, I'll just rent it.

I think the MSRP for GOW in Canada is probably closer to $40. You could find a used copy for a little less than $30 - provided the exchange rate would be similar between the US and Canada (I know its near 1:1 now, but gaming's always gotten screwed).

Incase no one noticed, I added Culdcept Saga to the list, since it's debut price was below $40 USD.