By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Games to Buy - Game Sugguestions for New Xbox 360 Owners

We can now sticky! Yes!

At any rate, I've been waiting a VERY, VERY long time to be able to sticky a game sugguestion thread.

This will be the main thread for EVERY poster requesting information about what games to buy as a new X360 owner, and sugguested great-value buys for veteran owners.

All threads asking what games to buy for a new Xbox 360 owner will subsequently be locked, to allow for more prompt posting. This does not mean I'll lock threads about specific games....Just general threads.

At any rate, as a new/current Xbox 360 owner, you have access to a vast library of great, high-quality, highly rated, and cheap games. Since the Xbox 360 has been around for 2+ years, many games are readily available and very cheap prices - both new and used.

Because of this, there are tons of great "gems" of games for the Xbox 360. So please read, and re-read this thread. If I miss any given games, feel free to ask to add a game, or if your a mod, edit it.

Each genre will be listed, with various games, sugguestion rankings (in an order), and estimated price that you can purchase the games for. New-ish games might be reccomended, but I am mainly looking forward to sugguesting games in the Sub-$40 USD catagory.

I'll edit this thread when I can for new value-priced games.

Shooters - FPS, TPS, Horror
 Name Released  MSRP Multiplayer Why to Buy  

Condemned: Criminal Origins

Nov. 2005 <$29.99 No 

Scary. Despite being a first-gen launch title, it still remains one of the scariest to date. 15+ Hrs. Get it before the sequal comes out

Earth Defense Force 2017 Mar. 2007 <$39.99 2p Offline Co-Op  A quirky B-rate Sci-Fi Shootem up. You fight litterally hundreds of enemies onscreen at once. With 2 players doing co-op, one of the funnest arcade-like titles in ages. 
 Ghost Recon: Adv. Warfighter Mar. 2006 <$29.99 4p S/S, 8p Online  Fantastic demonstration of X360 graphical powers. The first truely next-gen TPS game on the system. Still has MP Players online. Better than GRAW2, IMO. 
 Gears of War  Nov 2006 <$39.99 2p Co-Op, 8p Online  Obvious elite uber-title. Huge online community despite being 1yr old. Must-have TPS title. Great co-op SP mode. 
 Call of Duty 2 Nov. 2005 <$29.99 4p S/S, 8p Online  Best COD, aside from maybe 4. Still has an online community, and incredibly fun.  
 Perfect Dark Zero Nov 2005 <$19.99 4p S/S, 16p Online/Offline   Despite being semi-weak in some areas, the 16p Bot Matches are still awesome fun. Incredibly cheap too. 
 Far Cry Instincts: Predator May 2006 <$19.99 4p+ Online/Offline  Not for everyone, but the map maker/editor is a blast to play on with friends offline. Very long SP mode.  
 Rainbow Six Vegas Nov. 2006 <$39.99 8p+ Online, 4p S/S  Best Rainbow Six game to date. Huge online community, and great varied game modes. 

Racers, Sports, and FightersGames

Name  ReleasedMSRP  MultiplayerWhy to Buy  
 Need for Speed: Most Wanted Nov. 2005 <$29.99 2p+ Off/Online Best NFS title to date. Open-world roaming makes it an awesome title. Much better than Carbon.  
 Test Drive Unlimited Aug. 2006 <$39.99 4p+ Online and MMO Awesome open-world arcade-ish racer. Still has a decent online community, and huge back-catalog of DLC. No other game allows for a 150+ Mile race around Hawaii 
 Forza Motorsports 2 May 2007 <$59.99 8p+ Online, 4p Offline THE sim-racer title. Should be cheaper by now due to pack-ins.  
 Fight Night Round 3 Feb. 2006 <$29.99 2p Online/Offline Fantastic boxing game with perfect next-gen visuals.  
 Ridge Racer 6 Nov 2005 <$19.99 8p Online, 2p+ S/S Old forgotten Ridge Racer. If you like ultra arcad-y racing, it's still a fantastic buy a $20.  
 Dead or Alive 4 Jan. 2006 <$29.99 2p Online/Offline Near-Perfect fighting game. Still has an online community as far as I know. Incredibly difficult too. 
 Project Gotham Racing 3 Nov 2005 <$19.99 4p+ Online/Offline Great arcade-style racer. As good as PGR4 without the price, or motorcycles.  

Role-Playing

Name  Released MSRP Multiplayer Why to Buy 
 Oblivion Mar. 2006 >$29.99 No Best RPG for the 360, arguably. GOTY Edition w/ Shivering Isles is $60, but you can get the non-SI version for $30-ish. You'll get addicted 
 Blue Dragon Aug. 2007 >$39.99 No Fantastic JRPG for those that enjoy the SNES RPGs. Price has taken a nose dive at many stores. Definate pickup for the JRPG enthusiast.  
 Enchanted Arms Aug. 2006 >$24.99Yes  Someone will kill me for mentioning it. But for the price, it's a decent little first-gen JRPG that lasts 40hrs. Watch out for Omega.  

Action/Adventure/Ect

Name  Released MSRPMultiplayer Why to Buy  
 Dead Rising Aug. 2006 $29.99 No The best *gem* on the list. Not for everyone, but Capcom and Resident Evil lovers will enjoy this sandbox-style survival game with a serious, and funny storyline. 
 KameoNov. 2005  $19.99 2p Online/Offline Awesome under-mentioned platformer from Rare. Not a Banjo-Kazooie, but 20 hours of definate fun. Great multiplayer aspects too.  
 Crackdown Feb. 2007 >$39.99 2p Online Most innovative game of 2007. Combines Mario platforming with GTA Shooting. DLC content makes it a must-try if you can find it cheap. 
 Saints Row Sept. 2006 >$39.99 8p+ Online Good GTA-Clone game with much improved various addons. Has multiplayer, that when works, is phenominal.  
 Tomb Raider: Legends/Anniversary May 2006 >$29.99 No Only next-gen version around. Best Tomb Raider since #1. DLC allows for you to buy Annaversary.  
 Lord of the Rings: BFME2 June 2006 >$29.99 2p+ Online First RTS Console game that works well in years. Definate pickup for the RTS fan.  
 Overlord May 2006 >$39.99 Unkown Pikmin-inspired RTS/Adventure game. Worth a look if you like offbeat games such as Pikmin. 
 Chromehounds June 2006 >$29.99 4p+ Online Hardcore mech combat game in the vein of Mechwarrior. Persistant online battles are still alive and kicking. Do not but for single-player...But MP is insane! 
 The Outfit March 2006 >$19.99 2p+ Online/Offline Hybrid RTS/TPS. Very niche, but absolutely awesome. One of the few fresh WWII games on the X360. 
 Viva Pinata Nov. 2006 >$19.99 Online Wow. Phenominal kid-friendly strategy game. Adults love it too. Must-buy for $19.99 if you liked Sim Farm 
 Culdcept Saga Feb. 2008 >$39.99 2p+ Online One of the most addictive Trading Card Games out there. Like Magic: The Gathering and Monopoly with strong RPG elements. Budget priced at $39.99 and hundreds of hours of gameplay. 

Arcade

Name ReleasedPrice  Why to Buy Multiplayer?
 Geometry Wars Nov. 2005 $4.99 Phenominal asteroids-esque game. Buy it. Now. No
 Marble Blast Ultra Jan. 2006 $4.99 Marble Madness-type game. Lots of levels, and fun. No?
 Puzzle Quest Oct. 2007 $14.99 Full-Priced PSP/DS Puzzle-RPG game turned value-packed XBLA game.  2p Online/Offline
 Small Arms Nov. 2006 $4.99 Smash Brothers with Guns. Lots of Guns. Must-purchase for any fighter fan. 4p Online/Offline
 Castlevainia: SOTN Mar. 2006 $9.99 Best Castlevainia game ever made. $10 is a steal for an action RPG such as the quality of SOTN. No
 Gripshift Nov. 2007 $9.99 PSP Puzzle-Racer turned XBLA game. Lots of levels, and great puzzling fun. 2p+
 Puzzle Fighter 2 HD Aug. 2007 $9.99 Yet another ultra-value Puzzle game. This one has Street Fighter characters. $50 10 years ago, now $10.  2p Online/Offline
 Undertow Nov. 2007 $9.99 Fell off the radar quickly, but an awesome Subspace/Continuum 16p shooter. Just phenominal shooter game.  16p Online
 Uno May 2006 $4.99 Huge community. An Uno deck is $20 new. Why haven't you bought this yet? 4p+ Online/Offline
 Carcassaonne May 2007 $9.99 See above. Replace the value $20 with $100, and a ton of expansion packs are available.  4p+ Online
 Catan May 2007 $9.99 Another European board game turned XBLA game. Great fun as well. 4p+ Online
 Texas Hold'Em Aug. 2007 $9.99 Awesome Hold'Em game. Absolutely huge Live community. 6p+ Online

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

I might buy Gears of War when I pick up my 360 but I'm gonna buy CoD4 first, thats my top priority. I already have it for PS3 and am level 55 online, but Its a great game and all my friends play it on their 360's.

I wouldn't be buying a 360 if it wasn't for my friends having them.

Edit: Now I'm on my first set of prestige mode level 18

Hehe. That's a good thing :)

Hmmm, I am interested in EDF 2017. I didn't know it was only $40

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Sub-$40.

You could most likely pick it up much, much cheaper. It was $40 @ launch.

Around the Network

Dead Rising

[

Hawk said:
Hmmm, I am interested in EDF 2017. I didn't know it was only $40

Well worth the discount price.  Not best in graphics, completely cheesy, but totally fun with many different weapons and lot's of alien bugs to blast!

A lot of these games look interesting, but do you know of games 40 dollars or less that aren't shooters or racers? I like Gears of War and Call of Duty, but I don't want that to be my whole library, and I don't like racers. I've been looking into getting a 360, but I generally play a lot of RPG/Adventure games, with the occasional shooter. Are there any games of that type 40 dollars or less that are worth buying?

Just added Racers, Fighters, RPGs, Action/Adventure, and XBLA games.

my first game might be halo 3 when i get a 360

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"