By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video Game Analyst Michael Pachter Says Nintendo Is in Disarray

In short terms Patcher's comment on Wii U failing is based on the small info we have that the Wii U might be priced too high. Nintendo has in fact insinuated that the Wii U might cost more than people expect, and Pachter's point is that Nintendo should come out and retract that statement and explain to people that the Wii U will be affordable.

Then he says that Kinect would kill a $249 Wii U anyway, which I can't explain why he said such a ridicilous thing.

Then he claims that Wii owners have gone on to FarmVille, but by the same logic I don't understand how he thinks Kinect users wouldn't have gone to Social gaming.

The 4GB HD's in Nextbox and PS4 was probably just a slip of the tongue.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
In short terms Patcher's comment on Wii U failing is based on the small info we have that the Wii U might be priced too high. Nintendo has in fact insinuated that the Wii U might cost more than people expect, and Pachter's point is that Nintendo should come out and retract that statement and explain to people that the Wii U will be affordable.

Then he says that Kinect would kill a $249 Wii U anyway, which I can't explain why he said such a ridicilous thing.

Then he claims that Wii owners have gone on to FarmVille, but by the same logic I don't understand how he thinks Kinect users wouldn't have gone to Social gaming.

Well looking at Wii sales it's fair to say that Wii owners or those interested in the Wii have moved on these last 2 years.

Kinect sales have stayed steady/increased so they are still around..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

RolStoppable said:
HappySqurriel said:
If Michael Pachter was a visionary, and most of his predictions came true, he would/could be a highly paid executive at a large publisher helping them produce a strategy to take advantage of the direction of the market

He's not that accurate though ...

Like analysts of all markets you have to be remarkably skeptical about what Michael Pachter says because, since you're not paying him, what he says is more likely to get you to believe what his client wants you to believe than to express any meaningful information to you.

This is most likely the case. A good analysis of a market usually doesn't come for free and Pachter has been suspected to speak for third party companies since a long time. Saying that Nintendo will fail perfectly fits once again.

Saying that Nintendo's current strategy is sketchy is kinda common sense when you see the whole world embracing social media, tablets and smartphones and Nintendo keeps saying, that is not for us...

Ail said:
RolStoppable said:
HappySqurriel said:
If Michael Pachter was a visionary, and most of his predictions came true, he would/could be a highly paid executive at a large publisher helping them produce a strategy to take advantage of the direction of the market

He's not that accurate though ...

Like analysts of all markets you have to be remarkably skeptical about what Michael Pachter says because, since you're not paying him, what he says is more likely to get you to believe what his client wants you to believe than to express any meaningful information to you.

This is most likely the case. A good analysis of a market usually doesn't come for free and Pachter has been suspected to speak for third party companies since a long time. Saying that Nintendo will fail perfectly fits once again.

Saying that Nintendo's current strategy is sketchy is kinda common sense when you see the whole world embracing social media, tablets and smartphones and Nintendo keeps saying, that is not for us...

While I think that there is some value in Nintendo looking at the success in these areas (which I think it is clear that they have with moving to a tablet controller and having a more open online service), saying that they should drastically change their approach to the market is kind of like implying that car-companies should stop producing cars when they see a surge in people taking up jogging.

RolStoppable said:
Ail said:
RolStoppable said:

Sure, NIntendo made a mistake by changing their strategy instead of sticking to their original one throughout the entire seventh generation. It's foolish to say that social gaming, tablets and smartphones killed the Wii (which Pachter does) when it's obvious that Nintendo killed the Wii.

If Nintendo did their very best and then got outdone by other products, then Nintendo would be in trouble, because their fate would be out of their control. But as it is, Nintendo is their own worst enemy.

And guess what. The  people in Nintendo that killed the Wii are still the people in charge...

Around the Network
Ail said:
RolStoppable said:
Ail said:
RolStoppable said:

Sure, NIntendo made a mistake by changing their strategy instead of sticking to their original one throughout the entire seventh generation. It's foolish to say that social gaming, tablets and smartphones killed the Wii (which Pachter does) when it's obvious that Nintendo killed the Wii.

If Nintendo did their very best and then got outdone by other products, then Nintendo would be in trouble, because their fate would be out of their control. But as it is, Nintendo is their own worst enemy.

And guess what. The  people in Nintendo that killed the Wii are still the people in charge...

The Wii U is coming out and they are finally releasing some of the old Wii games for the Americas.

Ail said:
Slimebeast said:

Well looking at Wii sales it's fair to say that Wii owners or those interested in the Wii have moved on these last 2 years.

Kinect sales have stayed steady/increased so they are still around..

Wii owners have moved on because of a massive lack of support for the Wii, not because they've abandoned it for Farmville, like Pachter suggests.

Slimebeast is right; the logic of Pachter's statement is flawed.

LOL, man you guys are too sensitive about this. Its Patcher, he's been wrong more times than he is right, we all know it. The funny thing is the more attention you give him, the LESS likely he is going to go away

oniyide said:
LOL, man you guys are too sensitive about this. Its Patcher, he's been wrong more times than he is right, we all know it. The funny thing is the more attention you give him, the LESS likely he is going to go away

He is like Bill Murray in What About Bob?

So, going from d00ming the vita to ensuring Wiiu success. (because of the pachter inversion curse)

Pachter must really like nintendo, maybe I should reconsider my opinion of him :D

I LOVE ICELAND!