By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destructoid: BioWare writer's vagina versus the Internet

Darth Tigris said:
Quick notes:

- It's so interesting that some of the posters that I am annoyed by the most here are taking the position they are taking. That clarifies for me that it's not about fanboyism as much as it is maturity.

- This whole controversy is shameful, but I don't (and never EVER will) go to 4chan as the reputation for that community is reproachable. BUT I am disappointed in the general response I see here, a community that I am a part of and contribute to regularly. Considering what she said (which wasn't aimed at anyone before the attacks came pouring in), there is no way she deserves this type of treatment. Excusing it as by saying "well, it's the internet so what do you expect" only adds to the problem. We should not ever accept this kind of behavior. It's counterproductive as a species.

- Can't wait for ME3!

The behaviour isn't acceptable or deserved, it's just predictable. Give a bunch of people anonymity and some of them will act like immature jackasses.

Around the Network

Funny some people are bringing up DA2 as an argument against her. The story and dialogue was easily the best part of that game. Not great, but definitely not what dragged the game down. Unless you think the writing was responsible for the poor combat and the lazy uninspired level design. I wanted to skip the combat too at some points in DA2.

Why do so many people equate game play to combat. There's so much more to a game then the fight scenes. This gen the kill count has steadily been climbing. You can hardly play a game anymore without killing 500+ people along the way. It gets boring.

It seems that people have glossed over the huge amount of hate and criticism she's gotten for projects she's not involved in. You disagree with her views? Fine but for God's sake you don't criticize someone for things they have nothing to do with. The amount gamers blaming her for things in Mass Effect, when she has nothing to do with that games, is ridiculous. BSN has gone to hell lately. The sad thing is that she was one of the Bioware devs that posted on the forums and interacted with fans/gamers. After seeing the sheer amount of douchebaggery hurled her way, I doubt any other devs will follow suit and that's a shame.

so he called him a fucking moron?

it's only half a insult, he should be happy someone believes he actually fucks something

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Mr Khan said:
While there is no need for people to be that cruel, her view on gaming is indeed quite dim and counterproductive

No-one deserves that kind of harassment, but her views are certainly worthy of rebuke

I wonder if it is... in the types of games bioware makes.

I mean, people liked heavy rain.  That's more or less what she's proposing, but without the actual skip button being optional!

Around the Network

What she describes there is not a game, its a movie, an interactive movie at best. And you can already find those, in the theaters. Also I personally don't appreciate people who don't have any love or respect for their work. I think Bioware should reconsider if employing her was really something that fits their agenda of making games.

All that said, internet is filled with trolls and trolling is never good. She didn't deserve what she got, but I agree with those who chose to question/oppose her viewpoint/stance in a polite and professional manner.

"I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either."

LMAO xD

The gamers treatment of her is disgusting however at the same time she is a bit of a fool for stating that she doesn't even like to play games but writes for them.

''She's also received a lot of heat for admitting that she doesn't like to play games -- certainly a requirement if your job is to craft narrative (sarcasm). '' This Destructoid quote makes no sense at all. Surprisingly for a website dedicated to games, Destructoid doesn't seem to believe there is any difference in the narrative structure for a game and a movie/Tv series/book. When there quite clearly is.

Also it seems Bioware have totally screwed up the situation and I have lost a lot of respect for them. Responding to negative comments with things like "I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either." and calling people ''fucking morons'' is not professional at all.

Also surprisingly for a website about games Destructoid has decided to state that gamers deserve the negative stereotype. ''This is the kind of behavior that justifies the FOX News stereotype of the basement dwelling, antisocial nerd. This is the kind of behavior that makes the Spike VGAs look like the perfect gamer show -- because it's crass, immature, and it sports the emotional depth of a wet paper towel.'' Oh yes of course a TINY percentage of the gaming community does something bad and that's it. All the negative stereotypes are justified.

Perhaps Destructoid are sticking up for FOX because they have the same attitude towards journalism? Since Destructoid seem to think that a tiny amount of people doing something is indicative of a community of millions and millions of people I can only assume they are the same idiots that would think ''AH RIGHT! That small group of people were Muslim terrorists, therefore all Muslims are terrorists.''. A TINY amount of people doing something is no way indicative of a community at all.

People trolling on the internet and being unpleasant? Yea it happens, it is wrong and horrible however you have to learn to deal with it. Professional people throwing around insults and destructoid branding the entire gaming community as basement dwelling antisocial nerds because of a small group? Now there is an embarrassing and shameful thing.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

coolbeans said:
MrBubbles said:
you know...one of my favourite authors, who also has written the story for a recent game, does not read books or play games.... and yet she is very talented at writing for both.

the ability to write is all thats needed to write.

1.  Does she read any sort of material outside here own work, such as magazines, newspapers, etc.?

2.  If not, did she make this decision by heavily reading early in life, then secluding herself from all works outside her own?

3.  Who the fudge is this woman?

I'm just having trouble believing this. 

3.  karen traviss

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Nsanity said:

Because that's what gamers do, if this behavior is to be believed. Attack individuals en masse, forgetting they are people, and then acting betrayed when their victims have the nerve to bite back. It's all very well expecting "professional conduct" from a developer when a customer is angry, but when anybody's being demolished by a rampant tsunami of abuse, I don't think there's any amount of professional expectation that makes it unacceptable to lose one's cool and say something in return.

Obviously they have never had any kind of service related job. Anyone who has would know, even in person, people can be douches. Its not that hard to smile and say thank you to a bitter customer. Far better than to stoop to the "vile gamers" level and resort to name calling. I would think adults and professionals would be beyond that.