By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How close will PS3/X360 come to lifetime Wii sales?

MadeInDK said:
Seece said:
MadeInDK said:

I think the wii will hit 125-140.. If nintendo removed wii-u backwards compatibility like sony.. more.. (but that will not happend)

PS3 and 360 will proberly hit around 100 mill each... So i would think wii will win this gen with about 25-40 mill..

But remember.. sony's (mayby) 100 mill. was only becurse they payed peple to buy.. and lost billions of money.. that makes it even worse for sony, that they still end up last.. ( and It's a business term now.. don't do a sony)

That's not gonna happen, by a long shot. Nintendo only shipped 10m this last FY, they're looking at 6m~ for the upcoming year.

To get to 15m you're basically expecting it to be flat for the next 6 years.

Thats where you are wrong... And I tell you why...:)

This moment wii is at 95 mill sold.. that means it will hit 100 mill easy this new year.. at last years "sale speed"... ok...?

But... wait... Nintendo had told us them self.. that they planing to have both wii and wii-u for some time (casual and hardcore) and that means there will be another pricecut.. probely new bundels and one or two holliday AAA game.. And I expect wii to hit closer to 104-108 new year 2012-2013..

Thanks to the close to 1.000.000.000 wii games.. The cheap price.. The home community.. and nintendos "timeless" games.. it will have an appeal.. (and sell.. like the ps2)

That means.. New year 2013-2014.. 115-118 mill sold..

And becurse wii is so different from wii-u.. Cheap and crappy..:) It's the perfect situation for them.. two prices, two products, and two home gaming experinces.. Thats is better than one.. also when it comes to competing against sony and ms..

I don't see them pull it before 2017-2020.. when it is way over 125 mill.. (150 mill is not that crazy...) don't see any reason that wii shouldent do a "PS2".... PS2 was also under 100 mill, when ps3 came... And wii is the fastest selling console after all.. :)

http://www.vgchartz.com/  says otherwise.

Around the Network
MadeInDK said:
Seece said:
MadeInDK said:

I think the wii will hit 125-140.. If nintendo removed wii-u backwards compatibility like sony.. more.. (but that will not happend)

PS3 and 360 will proberly hit around 100 mill each... So i would think wii will win this gen with about 25-40 mill..

But remember.. sony's (mayby) 100 mill. was only becurse they payed peple to buy.. and lost billions of money.. that makes it even worse for sony, that they still end up last.. ( and It's a business term now.. don't do a sony)

That's not gonna happen, by a long shot. Nintendo only shipped 10m this last FY, they're looking at 6m~ for the upcoming year.

To get to 15m you're basically expecting it to be flat for the next 6 years.

Thats where you are wrong... And I tell you why...:)

This moment wii is at 95 mill sold.. that means it will hit 100 mill easy this new year.. at last years "sale speed"... ok...?

By sales speed I assume you mean sold to consumer, yeah it should be around 100m sold to consumer end of 2012, perhaps 102m if it's lucky.

But... wait... Nintendo had told us them self.. that they planing to have both wii and wii-u for some time (casual and hardcore) and that means there will be another pricecut.. probely new bundels and one or two holliday AAA game.. And I expect wii to hit closer to 104-108 new year 2012-2013..

No. It's not shipping more in 2012 than it did in 2011. 2011 also had a price cut and without software it did hardly anything, 2012 is even worse for software. Not to mention what Nintendo say, and what they want, has no actual effect on what actually happens. Only a year or so ago they said they planned to sell 50% of what they already had at that point, I think it came out at like 140m? Also, they've proven with their forecasts they can't forecast Wii at all, constantly having to adjust their expectations downwards.

Thanks to the close to 1.000.000.000 wii games.. The cheap price.. The home community.. and nintendos "timeless" games.. it will have an appeal.. (and sell.. like the ps2)

No, it won't. It's being outsold in every country worldwide right now by either 360 or PS3. 360 and PS3 sold more over christmas than Wii.

That means.. New year 2013-2014.. 115-118 mill sold..

And becurse wii is so different from wii-u.. Cheap and crappy..:) It's the perfect situation for them.. two prices, two products, and two home gaming experinces.. Thats is better than one.. also when it comes to competing against sony and ms..

I don't see them pull it before 2017-2020.. when it is way over 125 mill.. (150 mill is not that crazy...) don't see any reason that wii shouldent do a "PS2".... PS2 was also under 100 mill, when ps3 came... And wii is the fastest selling console after all.. :)

Your reasoning is incredibly floppy, you havn't done any research and you're just .. completely wrong.

Seece said:

Your reasoning is incredibly floppy, you havn't done any research and you're just .. completely wrong.

I' have  been here from the master system days.. and this is my prediction...OK..? 

I bet it will reach 125 Mill.. and i think 150 mill i posible..

And i know. nintendo planes to have both wii and wii-u and the market at the same time..

Offcourse it will loose sales.. just like 360 and ps3 will this year.. But if you recon that it will hit 102.. this yaer.. that means close to 110 mill next year.. and 'm just a bit more optimistic (becurse of the reason mentioned beforere.. and say 115 mill.. new year 2014..

If wii has a deccent year.. i can't see hov it not should reach 125+... But ofcouse thats only my believe..

MadeInDK said:
Seece said:

I' have  been here from the master system days.. and this is my prediction...OK..? 

And i know. nintendo planes to have both wii and wii-u and the market at the same time..

Offcourse it will loose sales.. just like 360 and ps3 will this year.. But if you recon that it will hit 102.. this yaer.. that means close to 110 mill next year.. and 'm just a bit more optimistic (becurse of the reason mentioned beforere.. and say 115 mill.. new year 2014..

If wii has a deccent year.. i can't see hov it not should reach 125+... But ofcouse thats only my believe..

I understand, it's a bad prediction though.

You need to spend some time on the site and go look at previous years sales

Wii

FY08 - 25m
FY09 - 20m
FY10 - 15m
FY11 - 10m

Wii is expected to do around 5 - 8m this year, probably 6.5. It's not going to stabalise at that, don't you understand when Nintendo say they'e going to continue to support the Wii it's PR talk. Look how they're supporting it now??

If you actually do the maths and think about it you'll know how silly your prediction is. It's not going to maintain 5m a year for the next 5 years.

Wii will be discontinued by 2015.

I could have sworn that the Wii was supposed another two 20 million selling years on the market...

OT: Hard to say, depends on where the Wii ends up and when the Nextbox and PS4 arrive. A gap of around 20 million is not unfathomable since the Wii won't end up selling a whole lot over 100 million lifetime.

Around the Network

In 2015:

PS3-Wii gap: less then 5 million
360-Wii gap: less then 10 million

Seecesaid:
MadeInDK sai:
Seece said:

I understand, it's a bad prediction though.

You need to spend some time on the site and go look at previous years sales

Wii

FY08 - 25m
FY09 - 20m
FY10 - 15m
FY11 - 10m

Wii is expected to do around 5 - 8m this year, probably 6.5. It's not going to stabalise at that, don't you understand when Nintendo say they'e going to continue to support the Wii it's PR talk. Look how they're supporting it now??

If you actually do the maths and think about it you'll know how silly your prediction is. It's not going to maintain 5m a year for the next 5 years.

Wii will be discontinued by 2015.

Ok.. One more time..

If you look at the FY  You see a 5 mill drop..  last few year..  and you say 6.5 sold this year.. ok thats fair.. you recon that the drop will not be that 5 mill. this time.. only 3.5 mill drop..

Now we are 2012-2013 and we agre that wii will have hit around 102 mill.... so fare so good..:)

As i said before.. Nintendo are not making any "pr" talk.. they mean when they say.. we will have to consoles on the marked..

Nintendo will stand in that perfect situation.. they will have a monster next gen.. offering new games, better internet, media player, u-mote control, and true HD.. To a price.. let's say (and i don't know.. this is just a shot) about 350$

And.. to a totally diffent type of consumer they have the wii.. remember if you havent played galaxy. donkey kong wii-fit  zelda or what ever.. they are still pretty awnsome games.. And again 1.000.000.000 games on the market means alort.. Most of the games are made for single player and just run..

Nintendo run.. better than gamecube.. i think it will live for a long time..:)

But thats just some info.. Back to 2013.. In 2013 the drop will be smaller and indsted of a 3.5 drop.. it will be around 0.5 to1.5 drop meaning at the end of 2013 wii will hit around 108-110 mill.. and i think

FY14  3.5

FY15  3

FY16  2.5

FY17 2

FY18 1.5

Leaving the wii at around 125 Mill.. and that was in you numbers..

I'm a litle bit more optimistic.. becurse i know the right price.. mayby 129$ (99$ would be syko).. And bundles.. mayby one game, netflix and 5 VC games included, will open a new consumer group..

If nintendo choose.. they sell 130+.. easy..

MadeInDK said:

Ok.. One more time..

If you look at the FY  You see a 5 mill drop..  last few year..  and you say 6.5 sold this year.. ok thats fair.. you recon that the drop will not be that 5 mill. this time.. only 3.5 mill drop..

I only say 6.5 because a drop to 5m seems slightly unbelieveable. But then I and others through the exact same thing this time last year about 10m, when Nintendo predicted 13m. 5m is not out of the question.

Sales are slumping hard across the globe, have you checked the front page? We're still in february and Wii is at 83k, it's already down 40% worldwide.

Now we are 2012-2013 and we agre that wii will have hit around 102 mill.... so fare so good..:)

100 - 102m.

As i said before.. Nintendo are not making any "pr" talk.. they mean when they say.. we will have to consoles on the marked..

Yes they are. 'Supporting' a console can mean as little as still having it manufactured and a couple of crummy games each year. Sony are still 'supporting' the PS2.

Nintendo will stand in that perfect situation.. they will have a monster next gen.. offering new games, better internet, media player, u-mote control, and true HD.. To a price.. let's say (and i don't know.. this is just a shot) about 350$

And.. to a totally diffent type of consumer they have the wii.. remember if you havent played galaxy. donkey kong wii-fit  zelda or what ever.. they are still pretty awnsome games.. And again 1.000.000.000 games on the market means alort.. Most of the games are made for single player and just run..

That's funny, those games are hardly selling the console now are they? No, the 360 and PS3 will be the legacy consoles, because they get the lionshare of 3rd party games, and have yet to reach the Wii's price.

Nintendo run.. better than gamecube.. i think it will live for a long time..:)

But thats just some info.. Back to 2013.. In 2013 the drop will be smaller and indsted of a 3.5 drop.. it will be around 0.5 to1.5 drop meaning at the end of 2013 wii will hit around 108-110 mill.. and i think ? Your maths is bad. 102 + 3.5 = 105.5 not 108 - 110.

FY14  3.5

FY15  3

FY16  2.5

FY17 2

FY18 1.5

118m that comes to, not 125m. Again, bad math.

Leaving the wii at around 125 Mill.. and that was in you numbers..

I'm a litle bit more optimistic.. becurse i know the right price.. mayby 129$ (99$ would be syko).. And bundles.. mayby one game, netflix and 5 VC games included, will open a new consumer group..

If nintendo choose.. they sell 130+.. easy..

It's not going to drop 5m a year then suddenly only 500k. There is so little support for the Wii now, there is going to be little to nothing software wise in 2014. What the hell is gonna sell it in 2018?

You're simply wrong, completely ignoring all the facts and history and just hoping for the best. Wii isn't going to reach 125m, even Nintendo know this.

And stop acting like it's Nintendo's choice, the market dictates when a console is done, especially when the manufacturer has all but abandoned it (which Nintendo basically have)

2012 - (6m) 101m
2013 - (3.5) 104.5m
2014 - (2m) 106.5m
2015 - (1m) 107.5m
Discontinued.

That makes far more sense than you thinking it has another 30/35m left in it when it's dropping at the rate it is, getting even less SW, having a successor out this year ect.

Mummelmann said:
I could have sworn that the Wii was supposed another two 20 million selling years on the market...

OT: Hard to say, depends on where the Wii ends up and when the Nextbox and PS4 arrive. A gap of around 20 million is not unfathomable since the Wii won't end up selling a whole lot over 100 million lifetime.

Isn't it a bit too optimistic to think PS3 and X360 will outsell Wii by 20 milions ?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
Mummelmann said:

Isn't it a bit too optimistic to think PS3 and X360 will outsell Wii by 20 milions ?

Think he means PS3 and 360 20m behind