By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 looking good for 2008.

Parokki said:
It'll be a week or two more before we can say for sure, but I think the PS3 is going to continue outselling the 360 by at least 10 or 20%.

Until the 360 gets a price cut of course. PS3 sales were at a catastrophic level before the 40GB model brought it back to life, so it'll be very interesting to see what even a cut of 50 will do to the 360.

The same thing it did when it was cut fifty bucks this summer.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Parokki said:
It'll be a week or two more before we can say for sure, but I think the PS3 is going to continue outselling the 360 by at least 10 or 20%.

Until the 360 gets a price cut of course. PS3 sales were at a catastrophic level before the 40GB model brought it back to life, so it'll be very interesting to see what even a cut of 50 will do to the 360.

The same thing it did when it was cut fifty bucks this summer.

Maybe... maybe not.  Usually price cuts have bigger and bigger effects even as the cuts remain the same amount of money... as there is a bigger number of people who would buy a system at 200 then any other price by a lot.  Usually this holds true in general with each drop driving a greater number of consumers to take the plunge with every drop. 

Munkeh111 said:
gebx said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ gebx, that is still 10m short of his wii prediction, although the ratios are higher for PS3 because it was supply constrained and only in 2 regions, and the Wii was even mores supply constrained

True, the PS3 will be selling in all three regions, but it was never constrained by supply in 2007.

First couple of weeks I'm sure it was

The PS3 was never supplied constrained, not even for a couple weeks.

Jan 9th 2007, Jack tretton made the "if you find a PS3 I'll pay you $1200" and was then bombarded by thousands of emails/pictures of PS3's available. Every blogger who read that interview posted pictures of store stock demanding cash.

The PS3 was never sold out in europe, PS3 sales took a 50%+ nosedive in sales the 2nd week available, and then a another 50% the following week.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

ps3 will have a great year and outsell the 360 for most of 08

^_^

yes ps3 this year will do very good and gain a little ground on 360(not wii)

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

The PS3 is doing surprisingly well, but look at a few things this week:

- The PS3 outsold the 360 by ~62k.
- The PS3 outsold the 360 in Japan by ~57k.
- The PS3 outsold the 360 in Spain by ~42k.
- The Spanish give many gifts on Jan 5th and the Japanese aren't bound to Christmas as much as Westerners, meaning that there's still a holiday hangover in both those countries.

Next week, expect huge dropoffs in both of those countries. In early November, overall console sales were about 25-30% of what they were this week in Spain, giving the PS3 a HUGE boost against the 360. Any kind of Japanese sales spike is also going to hurt the 360 for obvious reasons.

In the next two weeks, expect the PS3 and 360 to draw nearly even in overall sales. Shit, the 360 might even nudge it out slightly but either way both consoles will be extremely close.

In short, don't get too excited about PS3 sales... It's still receiving holiday sales while the 360's strongest markets have definitely slowed.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Oh we have an avatar stealer lol

On topic: Gain little ground on 360? hahahahah j/k

mM
rocketpig said:
The PS3 is doing surprisingly well, but look at a few things this week:

- The PS3 outsold the 360 by ~62k.
- The PS3 outsold the 360 in Japan by ~57k.
- The PS3 outsold the 360 in Spain by ~42k.
- The Spanish give many gifts on Jan 5th and the Japanese aren't bound to Christmas as much as Westerners, meaning that there's still a holiday hangover in both those countries.

Next week, expect huge dropoffs in both of those countries. In early November, overall console sales were about 25-30% of what they were this week in Spain, giving the PS3 a HUGE boost against the 360. Any kind of Japanese sales spike is also going to hurt the 360 for obvious reasons.

In the next two weeks, expect the PS3 and 360 to draw nearly even in overall sales. Shit, the 360 might even nudge it out slightly but either way both consoles will be extremely close.

In short, don't get too excited about PS3 sales... It's still receiving holiday sales while the 360's strongest markets have definitely slowed.

Given that, as soon as Microsoft does a price cut they'll probably outsell the PS3 in most weeks afterwards, especially if at least one of the models receives a $100 price cut. A $50 price cut is more likely, though...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

i think they will both be very close till haze and GT5Pro comes out. if haze is any good sales should spike a little. givene the 360 is cheaper all around tho it should be outpacing the ps3 but it is not. so when microsoft drops the price so will sony and i think sony will have the slight edge. and hopefully if white knight story and ff13 drops in japan this year expect ps3 sales the sky rocket.

gebx said:
Munkeh111 said:
gebx said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ gebx, that is still 10m short of his wii prediction, although the ratios are higher for PS3 because it was supply constrained and only in 2 regions, and the Wii was even mores supply constrained

True, the PS3 will be selling in all three regions, but it was never constrained by supply in 2007.

First couple of weeks I'm sure it was

The PS3 was never supplied constrained, not even for a couple weeks.

Jan 9th 2007, Jack tretton made the "if you find a PS3 I'll pay you $1200" and was then bombarded by thousands of emails/pictures of PS3's available. Every blogger who read that interview posted pictures of store stock demanding cash.

The PS3 was never sold out in europe, PS3 sales took a 50%+ nosedive in sales the 2nd week available, and then a another 50% the following week.

Sold Out =/= Supply Contrained.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.