By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Piracy or Used Games. Which one do you think hurts Developers more?

Tagged games:

Or make your pick here so you do not feel compelled to post!

Piracy is bad 68 49.28%

Used Games are the Devil 21 15.22%

See resultz 15 10.87%

Other option please. 18 13.04%

Both are equal. 15 10.87%

Total:137

Both of course!

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
blkfish92 said:
Both of course!

I sense that you did not read the last word of the title.

I can't decide pircay and used games both hurt.

Galaki said:
Make your game good and then you don't have to worry about used games.
Make piracy your demos and you saved yourself some ads dollars.

Don't make shitty games and cry.

That. RIght there. If people stopped overhyping their fucking terrible games, there would be a lot less of both

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Piracy hurts a lot more with used games the developers still get money on the initial sale and with season passes with online games now they even have a change to get money from a used game.

disolitude said:
Piracy is one thing... and used game sales may 'hurt' the developers, but so freekin what?

Having to keep a game you have finished and will never play again hurts your bottom line. And last time I checked games are still classified as goods, and goods are allowed to be re-sold.

So I think the industry is full of shit when they start blaming used games for all of their problems. Ford doesn't bitch about how used car sales ruin their new car sales and they are not disabling the engine for a fee if a car is resold.

If these game publishers had any business sense they would have controlled the whole used game sales situation by allowing trade ins for new game credit themselves. Video games are already one of the most over valued and quickest to depricite goods in existence and they want the users to take a financial hit on top by not re-selling their games at all.

そうだ、あなとと言いうことばは版元のまちがいです。

The publishers should have cut out the middleman and controlled redistribution. An online game exchange run by EA, Square Enix, Sony, etc, would have many opportunities and allow them to at least eat resale profits instead of functionally donating it all to GameStop. I'd imagine people would trust the publishers more as well.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
disolitude said:
Piracy is one thing... and used game sales may 'hurt' the developers, but so freekin what?

Having to keep a game you have finished and will never play again hurts your bottom line. And last time I checked games are still classified as goods, and goods are allowed to be re-sold.

So I think the industry is full of shit when they start blaming used games for all of their problems. Ford doesn't bitch about how used car sales ruin their new car sales and they are not disabling the engine for a fee if a car is resold.

If these game publishers had any business sense they would have controlled the whole used game sales situation by allowing trade ins for new game credit themselves. Video games are already one of the most over valued and quickest to depricite goods in existence and they want the users to take a financial hit on top by not re-selling their games at all.

The publishers should have cut out the middleman and controlled redistribution. An online game exchange run by EA, Square Enix, Sony, etc, would have many opportunities and allow them to at least eat resale profits instead of functionally donating it all to GameStop. I'd imagine people would trust the publishers more as well.

Yes, they should have...

I mean how hard can it be for publishers to offer discounts for new upcoming games if a used game is traded in. They could make it exclusively for the games they published or even go a step further and offer an alliance between all publishers where any game can be traded in.

They wouldn't even have to keep a database of proves or game trade in values...

A model dased on game release date would work great:

15 dollar credit for games less than a year old.

10 dollars for games 1-2 years old

5 dollars for all games older than 2 years.

They can refurbish these games and re-sell them as greatest hits or just dispose of them, eliminating them from curculation hence making buyers buy new copies.

Probably piracy. At least they can combat used games sales with online passes and shit, but with piracy they're just straight up fucked.

disolitude said:
Mr Khan said:

Yes, they should have...

I mean how hard can it be for publishers to offer discounts for new upcoming games if a used game is traded in. They could make it exclusively for the games they published or even go a step further and offer an alliance between all publishers where any game can be traded in.

They wouldn't even have to keep a database of proves or game trade in values...

A model dased on game release date would work great:

15 dollar credit for games less than a year old.

10 dollars for games 1-2 years old

5 dollars for all games older than 2 years.

They can refurbish these games and re-sell them as greatest hits or just dispose of them, eliminating them from curculation hence making buyers buy new copies.

Yes. Yes. They could have. But that's just wishful thinking.

They don't want to buy their shitty games back :)

spurgeonryan said:
vlad321 said:
Galaki said:
Make your game good and then you don't have to worry about used games.
Make piracy your demos and you saved yourself some ads dollars.

Don't make shitty games and cry.

That. RIght there. If people stopped overhyping their fucking terrible games, there would be a lot less of both

I would have to agree with that as well. When I go to a Gamestop and look at their shelves of games, I am amazed at all of the horrible games that I sometimes have to dig through just to find that one cheap used hidden gem that was actually a good game. I want to say Used games, because if you are a decent citizen who actually buys games, you are probably still going to get a bunch of used ones. I will buy a COD or Mario Galaxy type game, which are the ones that are usually pirated anyways. You do not ever see cooking mama on the list of top pirated games. But you do see 30 cooking mama games at the used game store.

On the other hand because of used game stores, people are able to trade in their old games and get newer ones. This helps sales because people who may not have been able to buy the game before can now. Tough decision. Still used games.

You know what? This whole quoting conversation (above) has really good points! I totally understand  it. Gamestop, though, is just way too unorganized so it makes it much harder to find the good ones. XD

Bad games hurt developers (the industry) worse than anything else. Bad game equals less sells, conversely piracy may go up the worse a game is, because less people are willing to pay any amount of money for the game but are more than willing to waste their time playing a crap game and laughing at the idiots who thought the game would be good.

Second is used games. The fact is that there would probably be more sales if rentals/used games were not possible.

Third is DRM. This kills the game. If I have to jump through hoops to install the game or its got some online verifier, screw it no buy.

Fourth is piracy. In fact there is a very compelling case to be made that piracy can increase sales.

In the end though, piracy is wrong and people shouldn't do it. But since piracy is here to stay studios should just DEAL WITH IT and move on.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.