By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony on Vita sales: "we do not think we have any problems"

irstupid said:
Euphoria14 said:
maverick40 said:
Wait until it releases world wide before making any kind of judgement.

This gen alone, not to mention this past year should tell everyone that nothing should be fully judged until after a device has at least had a holiday season.

The Vita was launched during the holiday season.  So it has had its holiday season already for Japan.

I thought it was apparant that I was referring to worldwide considering the post I quoted. Everyone also knows the holiday season is kindest to these gaming companies in the US.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
irstupid said:
Euphoria14 said:
maverick40 said:
Wait until it releases world wide before making any kind of judgement.

This gen alone, not to mention this past year should tell everyone that nothing should be fully judged until after a device has at least had a holiday season.

The Vita was launched during the holiday season.  So it has had its holiday season already for Japan.

I thought it was apparant that I was referring to worldwide considering the post I quoted. Everyone also knows the holiday season is kindest to these gaming companies in the US.

While I disagree with the doomsayers, I do think Vita is having problems in Japan, and will have some problems in the rest of the world, and significant amount of time before Feb-March to November-December. 

theprof00 said:
Degausser said:
theprof00 said:
Top ten vita on amazon:
Product Details
PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle by Sony - PlayStation Vita
Buy new: $299.99

Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on February 22, 2012.

* Pre-order Price Guarantee.

See product for more details
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping and 1 more promotion

Product Details
Uncharted: Golden Abyss by Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation Vita (ESRB Rating: Teen)
Platforms Price New Used

Playstation Vita Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on February 15, 2012.

$49.99 $49.96 $49.96

Product Details
PlayStation Vita - WiFi by Sony - PlayStation Vita
Buy new: $249.99

8 new from $249.99

ESRB Rating: Rating Pending

Product Details
PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle by Sony - PlayStation Vita
Buy new: $349.99

Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on February 15, 2012.

Product Details
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card by Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation Vita
Buy new: $99.99 $99.96

2 new from $99.96

Product Details
wipEout 2048 by Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation Vita (ESRB Rating: Everyone 10+)
Platforms Price New Used

Playstation Vita Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on February 15, 2012.

$39.99 $29.99 $29.99

Product Details
PlayStation Vita Protective Film - Two Pack by Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation Vita
Buy new: $9.99

Product Details
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational by Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation Vita (ESRB Rating: Everyone)
Platforms Price New Used

$29.99

Product Details
8GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card by Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation Vita
Buy new: $29.99

Product Details
PlayStation Vita Travel Pouch by Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation Vita
Buy new: $19.99

Wow at the 32GB card being so high up.

I have no proof for this but I'd assume any Amazon 'top ten' list will have certain parameters put in place so that the highest listed items are those that given Amazon the biggest profit margin. So obviously, the 32GB costs more, so Amazon get more money for it - by having it higher up the list people will be more inclined to buy it. That would explain why the 3G is higher then Wifi too.

That's just the skeptic in me - I know the 'top ten' lists you get at retail shops are paid for by the publishers / ordered based on retail margin and in no way correspond to actual sales, at least not in the UK for sure.

Could definitely be wrong but I'd be very surprised.

I would think that's called "false advertising".

What is this top ten called? Is it just the 'Amazon top ten'? Or is it the top ten selling products? If it's just the Amazon top ten, with no adjectives or descriptions then it can be the top ten of whatever Amazon want. I dont use Amazon so I don't know the ins and outs, but I don't see why they wouldn't give their highest margin items advertising sweet spots. I'm happy to admit I could be totally wrong, but chances are if this list is something like the 'hottest products' or something else, then it's just a con.

To be fair the UK website is a 'bestsellers' list - so perhaps it is just sales. Although with no fine print it could easily be a list of whats selling - with whatever they want you to buy prioritized.

Either way, I know that physical retail these lists mean nothing. I remember reading a report that looked at the top 40 music albums HMV had in their top 40 - and revealed something like the best selling one was at number 27 and stuff. Maybe online retail doesn't have to deal with all that. Maybe.

Either way I doubt false advertising comes into it as the website will never expliciting state whatever is number 1 is their number 1 selling product.

Degausser said:
theprof00 said:
Degausser said:
theprof00 said:
Top ten vita on amazon:
Product Details
PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle by Sony - PlayStation Vita
Buy new: $299.99

Product Details
Uncharted: Golden Abyss by Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation Vita (ESRB Rating: Teen)
Platforms Price New Used

$49.99 $49.96 $49.96

Product Details
PlayStation Vita - WiFi by Sony - PlayStation Vita
Buy new: $249.99

8 new from $249.99

ESRB Rating: Rating Pending

Product Details
PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle by Sony - PlayStation Vita
Buy new: $349.99

Product Details
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card by Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation Vita
Buy new: $99.99 $99.96

2 new from $99.96

Product Details
wipEout 2048 by Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation Vita (ESRB Rating: Everyone 10+)
Platforms Price New Used

$39.99 $29.99 $29.99

Product Details
PlayStation Vita Protective Film - Two Pack by Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation Vita
Buy new: $9.99

Product Details
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational by Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation Vita (ESRB Rating: Everyone)
Platforms Price New Used

$29.99

Product Details
8GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card by Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation Vita
Buy new: $29.99

Product Details
PlayStation Vita Travel Pouch by Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation Vita
Buy new: $19.99

Wow at the 32GB card being so high up.

I have no proof for this but I'd assume any Amazon 'top ten' list will have certain parameters put in place so that the highest listed items are those that given Amazon the biggest profit margin. So obviously, the 32GB costs more, so Amazon get more money for it - by having it higher up the list people will be more inclined to buy it. That would explain why the 3G is higher then Wifi too.

That's just the skeptic in me - I know the 'top ten' lists you get at retail shops are paid for by the publishers / ordered based on retail margin and in no way correspond to actual sales, at least not in the UK for sure.

Could definitely be wrong but I'd be very surprised.

I would think that's called "false advertising".

What is this top ten called? Is it just the 'Amazon top ten'? Or is it the top ten selling products? If it's just the Amazon top ten, with no adjectives or descriptions then it can be the top ten of whatever Amazon want. I dont use Amazon so I don't know the ins and outs, but I don't see why they wouldn't give their highest margin items advertising sweet spots. I'm happy to admit I could be totally wrong, but chances are if this list is something like the 'hottest products' or something else, then it's just a con.

To be fair the UK website is a 'bestsellers' list - so perhaps it is just sales. Although with no fine print it could easily be a list of whats selling - with whatever they want you to buy prioritized.

Either way, I know that physical retail these lists mean nothing. I remember reading a report that looked at the top 40 music albums HMV had in their top 40 - and revealed something like the best selling one was at number 27 and stuff. Maybe online retail doesn't have to deal with all that. Maybe.

Either way I doubt false advertising comes into it as the website will never expliciting state whatever is number 1 is their number 1 selling product.

Oh, yes, I understand your point. That top ten is sorted by popularity, which is the product with the most "likes".
However, it is also the most bought memory card attached to the system, so in this case, the 32GB card is probably the most popular and the highest selling card.

Sony is in an "alright" position now. Vita's future will really be determined with how it performs in the west. If it performs well there it will give them enough time to get titles out that are aimed at the Japanese.

Around the Network

The problem with the vita is that there arent any system sellers out or announced that would make people want the Vita, if you see the game that everyone are buying with their vita the best selling franchise from those game is uncharted and they sell like 5 million each after heavy bundling so the future is bleak right now

Too many people are in debt in Japan and in many other parts of the world, especially after the holiday season. This is why the Vita is hurting so much in Japan, and will hurt WW 1-2 weeks after the Vita launch. People can't afford to buy new things, but they want to buy new things and they will, but it won't be the Vita. People will look at the Vita and go; "I really want that.", "That looks sick.", "I would love to get a new handheld.", and they will buy a 3DS so they get that good feeling that they bought something new and saved money without breaking their wallet.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Vita. I even have the First Edition Bundle preordered, but without a price cut closer to the 3DS they won't get very far. In these times it's all about price. Technological advancement is not as important as it used to be, unless it's a major leap and/or a needed leap forward. Only a very few want to pay more for better graphics and a faster processor.

In short, there is no denying Nintentdo has some of the best and most fun game out there, and people can only play so much video games in a day. Why not save money and get a 3DS instead of a Vita, and still enjoy the highest quality games out there?

Playstation All-Stars is one of the best games I've played this gen, and is the most fun I've had in a game this gen.

Mythe said:
Too many people are in debt in Japan and in many other parts of the world, especially after the holiday season. This is why the Vita is hurting so much in Japan, and will hurt WW 1-2 weeks after the Vita launch. People can't afford to buy new things, but they want to buy new things and they will, but it won't be the Vita. People will look at the Vita and go; "I really want that.", "That looks sick.", "I would love to get a new handheld.", and they will buy a 3DS so they get that good feeling that they bought something new and saved money without breaking their wallet.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Vita. I even have the First Edition Bundle preordered, but without a price cut closer to the 3DS they won't get very far. In these times it's all about price. Technological advancement is not as important as it used to be, unless it's a major leap and/or a needed leap forward. Only a very few want to pay more for better graphics and a faster processor.

In short, there is no denying Nintentdo has some of the best and most fun game out there, and people can only play so much video games in a day. Why not save money and get a 3DS instead of a Vita, and still enjoy the highest quality games out there?

The bigger question being "why not save money and keep your PS3/360, not buy the Vita, but get a good deal of the Vita experience?"

Given that portability itself is less of a selling factor in the West, platform-distinguishing games are a must.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Mythe said:

The bigger question being "why not save money and keep your PS3/360, not buy the Vita, but get a good deal of the Vita experience?"

Given that portability itself is less of a selling factor in the West, platform-distinguishing games are a must.

I completly agree, for any console/ handheld, platform-distinguishing games are a must. Right now it does seem the Vita is just a portable PS3 game player. They need to advertise the Vita exclusive games you can play on the system. Also, a lot of new games that Sony are bringing out are for the Vita and PS3 which doesn't help.

Though personally for me, the whole portable PS3 game player is a big reason why I'm buying it. Playing HD ports from the PS3 or streaming PS3 games to the Vita through WiFi, is a great thing for the device imo because i would much rather play games on handheld. For many others though, it isn't that big of deal and is an expensive luxery.

Playstation All-Stars is one of the best games I've played this gen, and is the most fun I've had in a game this gen.

Joelcool7 said:
Well Sony needs to reassure stock holders and developers. I couldn't see Sony saying "oh man we are fucked lets hope we can pull off the international launch and save our asses" third parties would cut development over night as they did with 3DS. Sony needs to do major damage control they do not want to hurt the international launch. They won't admit any failure till two or so months after Vita's is available in all regions.

Investors aren't (generally) as dumb as you make them sound. When the 3DS was doing almot this bad, Nintendo said that they had a problem, and that they were taking steps to fix it. Most investors will prefer to see that than a company with their head buried in the sand.