By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Smacking Children: Good or Bad?

Depends on what the child did. Sometimes a good spank is required.

I have spanked my daughter before, but that is because she would keep climbing onto the window sill and looking out the window. Now just so you know, my windows can easily be opened up and all that prevents her from dropping 20 feet is a screen.

I had to hit her to get her to know not to go up there.

Other than that time though (A good 6 months ago) she is a very well behaved girl. Very polite, patient and social. I couldn't be happier.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

As the OP said, anything that leaves physical marks or injures the child is wrong. I don't see a problem with a little smack on the ass. My parents did it, and they never crossed the line. Then they would always tell me if i did something really really bad, the punishment would be way way worse. And you know what.. I never did anything really really bad.

But I think the most effective discipline they used was to just take away something that I really liked at the time (pokemon cards or a video game etc.) They'd tell me I can have it back in a couple weeks. Then if they felt I was well behaved during that time, they'd give it back earlier. Like say 1 week instead of 2. They wouldn't tell me they were gonna do that though. They'd just come up to me and say "Here, you've been a good boy. You can have this back early." It taught me that making a shit storm out of everything gets you absolutely nowhere in life.

So back on topic. No a little smack isn't gonna hurt anyone. But as a few other people have said, there's way more effective ways to discipline your kids.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

I a person who was spanked as a child, good can come out of it, it's a "tough love way" to learn right from wrong, I never talk back to my parents, hardly curse, do what my parents say, and have stayed away from bad crowds that I've seen many of my friends fall into

Smacking is generally bad unless all else has failed or it's administered very carefully. I mean it works - but so do non physical measures as well and they can lead to a lot less angst. I know my kids take removal of TV/Gaming privileges pretty hard, as well as time outs and giving of additional chores : they particularly hate cleaning the chimney...

The bottom line is discipline gently but firmly from the get go and you should be fine - a lot of parents who smack IMHO are those who have failed to instill discipline and have to resort to that when "all else has failed".

I will say noting Euphoria's post that that's a circumstance I can imagine where a short, firm smack would help solve the problem more than a grounding - and certainly better that than a 20 foot fall. A good example of the exception that proves the rule IMO.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

d21lewis said:
I know this is a thread for serious conversation but I'm not in a serious mood. I'll be leaving now--but before I do, see what happens when you don't teach a child who's the boss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9obAE2w26Y

Scary stuff, indeed.

I'm speachless XD

And here I was ashamed to be friends with someone who watches the regular crap, wtf is this??!?   

OT: I'm against hitting little kids, how can you do that to your own child? It's even scary to watch

Around the Network

There's abuse, then there's discipline.

I think some of you are confusing a rap on the bum with an abusive drunk father going berserk on his family.

Also this is yet another case of the public sphere wishing to seep into the private once again.

Bad. If the only way you can discipline your child is by using violence, you are a bad parent.

spurgeonryan said:

So long rambling short, Smacking is not acceptable. Not sure why the OP used the word smacking though. A light spanking is acceptable I think in some cases. But it should be used in moderation, so that the kid does not learn that violence is good.

OP is British, we use the term 'smacking' for discipling a child, you USAians use spanking. Same thing.

I see no harm in it, it's not abuse, that something else entirely. Good parenting is the best though.

Hmm, pie.

Great! We should also be allowed to discipline our wives with a good horsewhip.

Seriously though, I'm against this shit and have zero respect for parents who smack their kids. When you use violence to discipline you have failed as a parent/teacher/etc.

Spanking kids can be effective....up to a point. If the kid does get hurt in the process: Bruises, cuts, soreness, then you did something wrong, and should stop immediately. Plus there are better ways to punish, make them feel guilty for what they done. i.e. take away the car/keys, toys, make them do heavy chores. Something that will make them think twice before doing it again.